Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,442 Members 41,897 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] USB Tethering on unlimited data plan NO ROOT

Tip us?

vivalaavans
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Default [HOW TO] USB Tethering on unlimited data plan NO ROOT

I have seen many posts regarding the tethering and hotspot on T-mobile, as it is only available on the data plans that are not unlimited. T-mobile blocks most tethering and hotspot apps but there are some ways to get around this. Most ways to avoid purchasing the tethering plan require root. However, this one does not. After a lot of searching I finally found a solution. The only con of this is that it does not support hotspot, only USB tethering. It is compatible with Mac OS, Windows OS, and Ubuntu OS. I am still searching for an update that will allow this to work with Chrome OS as I just purchased a Google Chromebook. This is a great feature while you are on the go, or do not have an internet connection at home.
The first step to the process is to download the Android app from the google Play Store. It is called ClockworkMod Tether. The app is free for 14 days. Once the 14 days is up, you will be able to purchase the full edition for $4.99. The upgrade is in app only, so you must download the free version first. Why wouldn't you anyways?
Once you have downloaded the app, as you will notice when you open it, you will need to download the app for your computer. It will ask you to open the app on your computer to get started. There is an app as well as a driver that is needed for this. In order to get the driver, you will need to visit clockworkmod.com. You can visit the site from your computer or your phone, which is convenient if you don't already have internet access. You will then need to click tether drivers at the top of the screen. It will take you to a list of makes of phones such as Motorola, Samsung, etc. Obviously, being the Samsung Galaxy s III, you are going to click the samsung drivers link. After it is downloaded, if you are using your computer, simply open the file and install it. If you have downloaded it to your SIII, you will need to connect your phone to your computer, find the file in the folder clockworkmod, and install it.
After everything is installed, you can open the app in your phone and turn on the tethering. After you have done this, open the program (which should also be installes from the clockworkmod folder) and click start. It will configure and it should say connected after a few seconds. Then, open your browser and you should be online!

I just discovered this and so far it is working GREAT! I got booted off once, not really sure what happened. But I turned off the tethering through the app first, then through the computer and restarted it all again and all is good. Hope this helps everyone looking for the answer! I will post again when I discover a way to use hotspot for free with no root.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivalaavans For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

N3r0-666
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Re: [HOW TO] USB Tethering on unlimited data plan NO ROOT

I love u i have unlimited 4g if my bill turns out to be 1000 $ ill hate u

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

vivalaavans
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3r0-666 View Post
I love u i have unlimited 4g if my bill turns out to be 1000 $ ill hate u

Well, I just started using it, so if it happens to you, then it is going to happen to me too.

N3r0-666
Old
Thanks Meter 3

After trying this I got a message from tmobile. With un 10 minutes
Free T-Mobile Msg: To prevent future Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (Tethering) access from being blocked, add Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service here.

camacho.kyle
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Seems legit... I'm gonna check it out.

N3r0-666
Old
Thanks Meter 3

Just figured out how to by pass the t mobile audo redirect using got spot shild mobile version and avtivading it before tethering

The Following User Says Thank You to N3r0-666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

siri7000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3r0-666 View Post
Just figured out how to by pass the t mobile audo redirect using got spot shild mobile version and avtivading it before tethering

Man that hot spot shield app worked like a charm