Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Pages deforming when scrolling

Tip us?

ondris
Old
(Last edited by ondris; 13th January 2013 at 01:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default Pages deforming when scrolling

Hi,

Have you ever noticed that when you scroll for exemple internet pages there is a little deformation of the image ? Like the text were warping, and especialy in portrait mod.

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-t...e_gdata_player

Do you know if it's hardware or software problem ?

Nitemare3219
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I was wondering the same thing. It's due to how LCDs refresh, top to bottom, line by line. Given the fact that our display is so dense with pixels, and the GPU isn't extremely powerful (it's a tablet after all), this is bound to happen.

It also happens on iPads, so don't think it's exclusive to the N10.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
HTC G1 | HTC G2 | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4
Nexus 5 | Nexus 10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nitemare3219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

atg284
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I noticed this too back when I had my N10. It was very pronounced when scrolling in portrait mode. I thought it was another flaw until I had to go back to the HP Touchpad (running android) and noticed it too. But it was very hard to see on the Touchpad. Like stated before, its because it is pushing all those pixels.

ondris
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
It's not really disturbing but, i don't know if it could ever be fixed or we just have to deal with it...

antonusklesk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I had a little freak out about this when I first got my N10. I had it on my galaxy tab 7+ and thought it was just an issue with that tablet, turns out its the refresh point of the screen and some people are really sensitive to it.

Anyone know if phone screens refresh top to bottom in portrait mode while tab screens refresh top to bottom in landscape mode?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Blocoholi
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
I always thought that would be part of the butter project?

NickTheMajin
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Has to do with the combination of a very high resolution screen with a gpu that is not strong enough or optimized to power it. You didnt see this issue at all in the ipad 2 but did see it (albeit slightly) in the ipad 3 due to the huge increase in screen resolution from the ipad 2. The issue is also not in the ipad 4 at all, the increase in gpu performance stopped it from happening. The issue is pretty prevalent in our nexus 10s and I definitely notice it but its not as jarring after awhile.

moonytoonyking
Old
Thanks Meter 21
are google going to "optimise" this then? it is rather annoying

jonstrong
Old
Thanks Meter 662
That's pretty weird. I've been using my Nexus 10 since early December, and never saw or experienced anything like this. The youtube video also looks pretty strange to me -- I don't have any of the lag in scrolling that is apparent in that video. In the video it appears that something is really eating up cycles in either the CPU, GPU or both. My own N10 appears to be much faster -- no lag or delay like the video shows, and none of the deforming or skewing that shows on the video either.

What are you guys looking at that "deforms" when you scroll? Do you developer options enabled that might affect video performance, e.g., Transition animation scale modified, Animator duration scale, Disable HW overlays? Having trouble reconciling my own experience with the youtube video and what I'm reading in this thread. I can't duplicate any of it on my end, regardless of the website or document I'm browsing or scrolling over...
LG G2 (VzW vs980)
Innovate

dalingrin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare3219 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. It's due to how LCDs refresh, top to bottom, line by line. Given the fact that our display is so dense with pixels, and the GPU isn't extremely powerful (it's a tablet after all), this is bound to happen.

It also happens on iPads, so don't think it's exclusive to the N10.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Its not so much because of the GPU. Its the screen limited by the 60hz refresh rate. This can be seen on a desktop if the monitor is in portrait mode and you can find a page that with scroll @ 60fps.