Google Play Newsstand 3.3 Brings Material Design Makeover

In a clear break from the previous practice of delivering nearly weekly Google … more

App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

Help unbricking my phone please

18th February 2013, 04:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hello,

I recently received the OTA update and accepted, however it messed up some apps and I went to flash a stock LJC firmware via ODIN. The issue I have is ODIN keeps failing at the sboot.bin portion. I was previously rooted using mrRobinsons root method (flashing a rooted .tar file). I can't enter recovery mode because the phone gives me the error message "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery in Kies and try again." I'm not at all familiar with Kies and any help would be incredibly appreciated.
18th February 2013, 05:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 216

570 posts
Re: Help unbricking my phone please
If you can get into download mode and use odin, then can you download twrp 2.4.1.0 tar and use it with the PDA button in odin? Un-check auto reboot in odin, then when flash ends and sitting there a few seconds, pull the battery, hold voldown home and power, and put the battery back in while holding all 3. (Yeah I know it requires a 3rd hand haha).

It should boot into new twrp.

The download for twrp is google twrp2, then select sprint gn2, then on the download page find openrecovery*2.4.1.0*.tar

If you can do that then you should be able to flash a kernel and rom and firmware from there by just putting them on the sd card. I would use the ma7 one and not try to go back to ljc at least until you get working again and get more comfortable with flashing and recovering from bad flashes like this. I would try the ma7 rom and all-in-one firmware zips not the ma7 update.zip in your case. The update.zip requires a stock recovery to run and possibly a stock everything else too.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Remember don't wipe data. Flashing the twrp recovery, rom, kernel and firmware should be fine.

If you want to try something even safer just on the off chance your rom is ok just not bootable, you can try flashing just twrp and kernel snd see if it boots. If not then go back into twrp and flash the rom. The data may or may not be compatible with ma7 but nothing we can do about that. If the apps all crash then you could try flashing a ljc based rom and see if the data works on that. All else fails you may have to wipe data from twrp.

In all cases always wipe cache and dalvik from twrp each time you flash anything else.

The Following User Says Thank You to KEYofR For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 05:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Thanks for info but I can't seem to find a .md5 type file when I download the zipfile for twrp recovery. I try extracting and it's just an image file. Should I just select that as the PDA file to flash via odin? And I tried using Kies in the interim but my phone was stuck on the "connecting" animation when I plug my phone in.
18th February 2013, 05:54 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Might be making progress... I'm working on an emergency recovery via Kies and it's about half way through. I really hope this at least lets me boot up the phone beyond just ODIN mode. Thanks for the help again KeyofR I'm going to keep searching for a md5 file of twrp recovery in the mean time.

EDIT: I think Kies is failing at the same part as ODIN when I tried to manually flash a LJC stock recovery (the sboot.bin portion). If anyone has a link to a md5 file of twrp recovery that would be awesome, I can't seem to find that type only "image" files.

EDIT #2: Bless you lol I just ran the actual .zip file in odin and it worked. I'm hoping I can just flash a stock rom I'll live with a complete wipe, I have everything important backed up. Thank you very much again!
Last edited by JiggaMan14x; 18th February 2013 at 06:13 PM.
19th February 2013, 04:25 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 216

570 posts
What I said was grab the tar file not zip or md5. And don't unpack it. Just save it. In odin next to PDA browse an select that tar file. That will flash twrp to the recovery partition. You may need to do the crazy battery pull three finger salute battery insert thing to boot into twrp the first time. I don't know why that is, it just is sometimes. If you don't it tries to boot the regular os and if that succeds it somehow puts a stock recovery back and you have to flash twrp on again. Once you've booted into twrp one time, no more problem, just a one time thing.

19th February 2013, 12:57 PM   |  #6  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,310

28,192 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and help issues go in Q&A
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
19th February 2013, 08:36 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 91

508 posts
More
How is this against the rules? I'm lost. Oh well

Sent from my Amazing Galaxy Note 2!
19th February 2013, 10:05 PM   |  #8  
Account currently disabled
Flag phoenix
Thanks Meter: 1,035

2,634 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us

How is this against the rules? I'm lost. Oh well

Sent from my Amazing Galaxy Note 2!

It was posted in the development section.... Questions or ask for help go in q&a ... that's why its not a ROM or kernel ....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
19th February 2013, 11:58 PM   |  #9  
san juan tx
Thanks Meter: 208

495 posts
More
Where do I get twrp2 tar

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
20th February 2013, 01:03 AM   |  #10  
Account currently disabled
Flag phoenix
Thanks Meter: 1,035

2,634 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird2

Where do I get twrp2 tar

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

From the twrp website ... you shouldn't need it use goo manager to install it ...
When you open goo press menu and install open recovery script ...
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread