5,603,646 Members 37,147 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][Nov 1]★★ CleanROM Inheritance 3.5 | JB 10.4.4.25 | ODEX/DEODEX | Full ROM ★★

Tip us?

krypthon
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Sorry for me noob questions, but What diference have Deodex and Odex?

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 11288

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypthon View Post
Technically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
There is actually not that much difference between an odexed or deodexed ROM. The short story is this:

The Dalvik VM (that runs Android apps) needs the program code that it executes in a certain pre-optimized format. Whenever you install a new app, this pre-optimization runs automatically - it extracts the code from the apk file, optimizes it, and stores the result in the "dalvik-cache". The file in the dalvik-cache is subsequently used whenever you run the app. These optimized files depend on the specific version of the system framework, so they must be regenerated when you update the ROM.

For a deodexed ROM, this pre-optimization runs for the system framework and for all system apps on the first start (you see the progress bar when Android is optimizing apps), and the result is stored in the dalvik-cache, the same as for normal user apps.

In an odexed ROM, the pre-optimization step for the system framework and system apps is already done by the ROM author: the files that would be generated into dalvik-cache are already shipped with the ROM - these are the *.odex files. Since the code is already stored in an optimized form in the ROM, the unoptimized version is removed from the apk files.

That's it. A deodexed ROM is easier to modify (because apps are self-contained); an odexed ROM uses a bit less storage on the data partition (because dalvik-cache does not need to include files for system apps) and starts up faster the first time after flashing. The code that is actually executed when you run applications is identical in both versions.
Practically - Odex should be more stable whilst deodex is seen to be faster benchmarks in my experience. The difference is hardly noticeable.

If unsure go with Odex.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700 Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700 Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700 Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201 Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X Development
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jtrosky
Old
Thanks Meter 956
Default Re: [ROM][17 Feb]★★CleanROM Inheritance 3.3 | JB 10.4.4.25 | ODEX/DEODEX | New Kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags View Post
Right I found the problem with the greyed out power saver settings It's the odexing that does it. Presumably the Asus Setting APK or associated shouldn't be odexed. I will check how Asus handle this and supply a patch
So does this mean that only the deodexed version has the issue?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 11288

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
So does this mean that only the deodexed version has the issue?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
Nope it means if you have a clean install of odex you definitely have the issue but reflashing deodex seems to fix it. It seems that odex is also OK if you have come from deodex. (Possibly needs more testing)

The issue is that the odexed version of the transformer.apk somehow is wiping data/data/com.asus.services

I'm still looking at how to patch the fix effectively.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700 Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700 Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700 Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201 Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X Development

pjc21
Old
Thanks Meter 630

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Nope it means if you have a clean install of odex you definitely have the issue but reflashing deodex seems to fix it. It seems that odex is also OK if you have come from deodex. (Possibly needs more testing)

The issue is that the odexed version of the transformer.apk somehow is wiping data/data/com.asus.services

I'm still looking at how to patch the fix effectively.
Not so sure it's an odex issue, have you tried flashing the stock transformer.apk. When using the modified transformer (no dock notification) my power saving settings are greyed out but when switch back to stock transformer power saving menu is fine. I also think this is why the f/c issue with color theme mod does not happen on modified transformer as the "dockmanagementservices" does not seem to run at all with modified transformer and that is where the f/c issue occurs on stock transformer.

lucius.zen
Old
Thanks Meter 400
Quote:
Right I found the problem with the greyed out power saver settings It's the odexing that does it. Presumably the Asus Setting APK or associated shouldn't be odexed. I will check how Asus handle this and supply a patch

I hate all these patches in 3.3 now My perfectionist side is flipping out so will probably release a super patch to 3.3.1
+1 for perfectionism, perfectionists will take over the world lol. Great work on the patches so far, i havent needed any but they have been up really quick.

Would it be possible to roll out a custom dpi fix for google play services in 3.3.1?

johnzoids
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Re: [ROM][17 Feb]★★CleanROM Inheritance 3.3 | JB 10.4.4.25 | ODEX/DEODEX | New Kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius.zen View Post
Just got the LG Optimus G, very nice so far, development is just starting to really pick up too, which is cool, its been out 2.5 months. Best mobile processor atm (same as Nexus 4), highest ppi other than iphone, and has performed better in durability tests than the note 2 and iphone 5.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

This actually totally worked, which is really wierd because i completely cleared the playstore and play services, uninstalled them, and reflashed CROMI 3.3 and it didnt fix it. It is very strange that clearing the data/cache worked, all my apps are now showing up in the "installed apps" page. Thanks for the fix im glad to keep 180 dpi, its sweet.

when i was on 180 dpi with a clean install i could not install facebook and amazon for some reason, btw i still cant install amazon even though im back on the 240 dpi ..any suggestions..

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

lartomar2002
Old
(Last edited by lartomar2002; 20th February 2013 at 01:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:

I hate a these patches in 3.3 now My perfectionist side is flipping out so will probably release a super patch to 3.3.1
I am using the odexed 3.3 and_that's stock kernel have also used his 1.5-1.8 and I do not have any problems with the power settings being greyed out. Whenever I change the settings which ever one I choose is highlighted. They are greyed out until I choose, is that not normal? Am I not talking about the same thing as everyone else? It is the power settings in notifications, correct? I did not come from a deodexed rom.
Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T-CROMBi-kk 4.4.2
Viewsonic G Tablet-SmoOth Bean 4.1.2
Acer Iconic a100 Rooted and bootloader unlocked stock ICS
Ainol 7 Advanced
Ouya (rooted)
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php
Nothing left in my right brain, nothing right in my left brain

Thibor69
Old
Thanks Meter 157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypthon View Post

Extra Extra .....Read all about it.

Deodexing Explained & How To [Click Me]

TABLET.01 TRANSFORMER INFiNiTY CROMi-X ROM.2.SD ..... [JB] 4.2.1
TABLET.01 TRANSFORMER INFiNiTY CROMBi-KK DUAL BOOT .. [KK] 4.2.2
TABLET.02 SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 10.1".PiMP.DROiD ..... [JB] 4.2.2
PHONE..01 GALAXY S4 TMOBLE M919 I'VE.GONE.iNSANE!!!... [KK] 4.3.0

Joeful
Old
Thanks Meter 25

I just ended up flashing 3.2.2 than flashing 3.3 over it. That fixed the greyed out power saving settings issues.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

Tags
cleanrom, infinity, inheritance, jelly bean, tf700