Your Note 2 Is Not Defective. [Solutions To Common Quality Issues Found On Note 2]

Search This thread

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Even if you don't have the lines / blotches, the Mura still exists, you just can't distinguish them as they are in the form of stains this time (takes up most of the display; explains why blacks are blacker in a dark setting compared to the S2 and Note 1); these panels are not embedded with the technology from Ignis Innovation.

Sorry, no stains on my screen no sign of mura what so ever. Though I find the blacks on the N2 a little disappointing as it is 'brighter' than my Note 1 and S2, my S1 still holds really deep blacks.. barely able to tell if the screen is on in a totally dark room as compared to the N2 which.

sos_sifou

Mar 30, 2009
Algiers
www.sifou.jimdo.com
Some people here are talking about exchanging the phone if they don't like it, in my country, no way to exchange it no matter what you think it is, defective, not cute enough, you changed your mind...
Also, i didn't know that most people know about this crap quality control of samsung, mine has a scratch on the screen and the camera hole of the back cover doesn't fit the camera lens, all out of the box ^_^
I hope nokia will make android handsets someday, or HTC stop being childish and put a real battery in their phones, i don't care about how thick it is, just give me the Damn two days am getting with the note2 and take my money.

Best regards
Sifou
Using a Samsung N7100

winlinmac001

Jul 10, 2011
These stains extent beyond the edge of the viewable screen area; this is why it is hardly distinguishable. Mura Exists on every Note 2 and any other device using the AMOLED displays (Mura is not technically defined as something to do with lines, dots, blobs, splotches, etc). Mura also involves cloudy areas, which many Note 2 owners might consider is normal, but is not. Bring your brightness down to below 0% and you will see what I mean. The organic layer is obviously not long-lasting.

winlinmac001

Jul 10, 2011
You you have nothing to worry about; your AMOLED display is normal just like everyone else's. As long as your screen does not flicker, and you don't see crazy tint, you are fine then.

However, to all reading this thread, be cautious and don't burn-in your display. AMOLED screens have the tendency to do so.

Last edited:

Mandeep148

May 10, 2012
Ludhiana
Hiiiii
M using note 2,
I noticed in silver bezel tjat there is very slightly gap, which cannot be much noticable,
Dimension looks like of gap is may be 0.2mm gap,
Its not noticable..
And my question is should I replace?

flydev

Jun 9, 2011
Montevideo
My volume buttons are ok, but there is a gap between the bezel and the screen at this buttons position.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

(got a titanium note 2)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Userade

Feb 17, 2013
Thank you so much. My fathers note 2 had a stuck down volume rocker and he was going to return it.. but i sat there for a good 2 mins massaging it and bam it worked!!

aukhan

Feb 19, 2013
Bangalore
ajqi.com
Noticeable for me

I found that when the Samsung galaxy note 2 is on Full Volume earpiece and specially when the phone rings the back part give you a kind of Vibrate feel and it the sound is reduced it gets to normal, Its very irritating it could be the build quality or may be the plastic panel that is causing this to happen .

Last edited:

Mandeep148

May 10, 2012
Ludhiana
hiii,
i bought my note 2 on 29-1-2013
now what i noticed in my screen,
there middle 10% part is shaded with 1% opacity,
if we look closely then it's not noticable as u seen from far,
from naked eyes is too difficult to see,
its not like Colours are gone, only looks like shade,
if i increase brightness to 100% then the small shade like finish.
i m confused that it is defected or not,
is that Normal, does nay body heard that type of case,

Please make me happy,tell me that it is Normal,I dont wana give my phone to bad service guys.

sos_sifou

Mar 30, 2009
Algiers
www.sifou.jimdo.com
hiii,
i bought my note 2 on 29-1-2013
now what i noticed in my screen,
there middle 10% part is shaded with 1% opacity,
if we look closely then it's not noticable as u seen from far,
from naked eyes is too difficult to see,
its not like Colours are gone, only looks like shade,
if i increase brightness to 100% then the small shade like finish.
i m confused that it is defected or not,
is that Normal, does nay body heard that type of case,

Please make me happy,tell me that it is Normal,I dont wana give my phone to bad service guys.

It may be the glue between the screen itself and the gorila glass?

Best regards
Sifou
Using a Samsung N7100

Reactions: Mandeep148

bunnybash

Sep 18, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 7 Pro
My note 2 has terrible wifi signal strength and the bottom right of the screen has terrible screen sensitivity. The wifi is shocking though signal strength is virtually not there from more than 25ft from the router with no walls. Same with all routers too

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Mandeep148

May 10, 2012
Ludhiana
here is Picture,Showing that
looks like middle area of screen is grey shaded, I checked, protector is ok, but screen middle area is very slightly shaded.
IS that Normal?
:crying:

Attachments

• Shot.jpg
    Shot.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 242

winlinmac001

Jul 10, 2011
That's expected; the plastic build quality allows the 'loud' sound resonate throughout the back cover. I know it's annoying, but all Note 2's have this. The only solution for that is to swap back covers or just apply a case or skin.

I found that when the Samsung galaxy note 2 is on Full Volume earpiece and specially when the phone rings the back part give you a kind of Vibrate feel and it the sound is reduced it gets to normal, Its very irritating it could be the build quality or may be the plastic panel that is causing this to happen .

winlinmac001

Jul 10, 2011
That is definitely normal. However, it will vary from unit-to-unit. On some Note 2's (and similar to other devices with AMOLED displays) the shade is very prominent, whereas on some devices you have to work hard to find the shade. However, every AMOLED display Galaxy Device has the shade. You just need to look closely. It shouldn't really bother you though; getting another Note 2 might just be worse than the one your presently have. The phenomenon you are seeing is a Mura Effect, a manufacturing issue, but not necessarily classified as a defect from Samsung's standards. Hopefully, newer models this year will have a more mature display.

here is Picture,Showing that
looks like middle area of screen is grey shaded, I checked, protector is ok, but screen middle area is very slightly shaded.
IS that Normal?
:crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm sure many of us have gone through countless returns, replacements, and refunds, with Samsung's range of Galaxy smartphones, believing that our phones were defective as a result of absurd manufacturing anomalies and quality control problems. Though, we are not Samsung factory workers, it appears Samsung has given us some labor. Obviously spending $700+ on a phone is not little. However, according to Samsung, everything I am about to disclose is normal. To alleviate the hassle of dealing with a company that has a pretty poor track-record when it comes to quality control; I would strongly advise not to return your Note 2 to the service center or store for the following reasons,

I have listed common problems some of us have come across; along with are some Do-It-Yourself Tips and Tricks to resolve these minute problems.

Squeaky back cover?
    - Ensure all sides of the back cover have clipped in properly; there should be no gaps, the fitting should be seamless
    - If that doesn't resolve the squeaking, replace the back cover with a new one (cheap plastic tends to expand)
    - Try not to remove and install the back cover over and over again, as that will eventually weaken the plastic clippings on the back cover

Light leaking on sides of home button?
    - The home button has plagued Samsung for the past couple of years. But don't worry, your home button is not defective.
    - The button is not uniformly seated properly, that explains. As a matter of fact, your home button should be flushed, not elevated above the display. To check if your button has light leakage, go into a dark room, angle your phone while the capacitive lights are on, and verify light leakage in the home button area.
    - Solution: Place a piece of tape over the whole button, ensure that the tape is placed beyond the edges and sides of the home button. The tape will help keep the button seated properly and flushed, equally on both sides. Now as long as you massage and use the home button a few times a day, and remove the tape after a couple of weeks, the light will no longer protrude through the sides of the home button.

Black specks / Bezel Chrome Finish production errors?
    - A lot of you may not be noticing this; only if you orient your phone at a particular angle, you may notice the chrome paint color inconsistency on the bezel (the chrome paint job was not done properly), black specks will show to some degree; now if it bothers you so much, put a case on. There is nothing you can do about it; all Note 2's have this quality control problem one way or the other.
    - You don't have to worry if the metallic painting is not done properly behind the phone, as the back cover will conceal it.

Loose Volume Rocker control buttons / Power button?
    - As long as you feel the button feedback and hear the button press on both volume and power keys, but feel that the buttons are loose, use a case, or massaging the buttons for a little while will help.

AMOLED Display Issues?
    - Refer to the following thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2108073

I will update this thread if I can think any more things to look out for when buying a Note 2. If you have any suggestions share them in this thread. Hopefully, someday, this thread can have a sticky.

Hope this helps, enjoy your phone! :cowboy:

This thread applies to International Note 2 and U.S. Carrier Variants.
    Re: Think You You Have A Defective Note 2 Because of This? Think Again! ['Tips & Tric

Everything you've listed is a reason to return the phone.
    When paying this kind of money no matter what the imperfection is , it is unacceptable.
    Would you keep a car with these imperfections. NO. why? Because is more expensive?
    It does not matter. This phone for me is like buying an Aston Martin and accept it with manufacturing flaws. NEVER.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
    No device is perfect; unfortunately, Samsung's quality control is sub-par to Apple's; Plastic, that's all. There is no reason for you to return your phone for the above reasons, especially because you might get something worse in return.

What you are describing with the glass, is something you to show us by posting a picture.

Titanium Grey color Note 2's noticeably have a minuscule gap between the bezel and glass on top.

Just like the Galaxy S3, the Ceramic White Note 2's are notable for the bleeding light around the LED indicators and touch-capacitive buttons.

There is nothing you can do about the above. If that makes you uncomfortable, I suggest buying a different phone model from a different company like LG and Apple.

Do post pictures to show us what you are seeing.

Cheers
    Titanium Grey color Note 2's noticeably have a minuscule gap between the bezel and glass on top.

Just like the Galaxy S3, the Ceramic White Note 2's are notable for the bleeding light around the LED indicators and touch-capacitive buttons.

------------------------------------------------------
    Any additional solutions will be posted here.

---

Many have spotted small gaps between the bezel and the glass of the display. I have cross-checked with over '12' Note 2 pieces across several stores, and they all have this gap in various areas, (i.e. top of the unit, bottom of the unit, and near the power / volume controls).

Secondly, although I could not find this on my T-Mobile Note 2 (I even used a magnifying glass to confirm), some of you may have noticed that the bezel is NOT 100% molded. If you inspect closely, you will notice a joint at which it appears your bezel is cracked, but is not. You might find this disappointing, but according to Samsung standards, the joint appearance is completely normal. Some joints (meeting of both sides of the bezel) will be very prominent, and some will not (in the case of mine).

Unfortunately, Samsung does not have consistent quality control with their devices, and you will definitely spot manufacturing variations, but don't be alarmed.

You should really consider these variations as consistent according to Samsung's quality control.
    ---

Visiting the squeaking back cover again, this sometimes also occurs when the end-user forcefully removed the back-cover by chance. Treat your Note 2 with care.

However, some back-covers are indeed cheaply Made by Samsung, and the clippings are not always made consistently; therefore, you will see different results from unit to unit.

---

An XDA user had asked me if the Grey Note 2's are most affected,

I've seen over a dozen Note 2's and 'Grey appears is most affected." However, it is difficult to confirm because very few stores have the White Note 2 on display in my area. One store did have '2' White Note 2's for demonstration pieces, and I felt they were manufactured through better quality standards than the Grey Note 2.

However, the White Note 2's do indeed have the gap on top of the unit (very noticeable), and I felt like the White units heat up quite fast compared to Grey. The home button on the White Note 2 is not that recessed (feels quite elevated) compared to the Grey Note 2. The light on the capacitive buttons on the White Note 2 bleed very noticeable compared to the Grey.
    Hey! One question! Just recieved my note 2 the other day - and I've found some sort of strange thing happening on the top right of the glass of the screen. It seems like there is this really tiny gap between the screen and the body.
    Its almost as the screen is just the tad bit tiny on the upper right side! Is this something I should send my phone in for?