5,597,084 Members 47,049 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Terrible battery performance

Tip us?

zilian28
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Default Re: Terrible battery performance

Well, in my case...xt925, manufactured january 2013, JB 4.1.2 stock, non rooted, locked bootloader, Brazil. Monster battery! Monster phone!

Sent from my RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360990097551.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1733499   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360990106392.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1733501   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360990118017.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1733502  
Sorry for my Noobness and thank you for your help!

mgerbasio
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I was using the RAZR M, just switched to the HD Maxx. I really haven't put the phone through more than a couple hours of use. I took it off the charger yesterday after being fully charged and 14 hours later (no use, overnight) I had 99% battery. My M would be at 85%. I really like the M, one of the best cell phones I had but the signal on the HD is much better which is why I bought it.

What worked for me in getting great battery life from my M: Go into Google Maps, settings and turn off location reporting from this phone. It virtually doubled my battery life on the M where I'm get 14 hours with 90 minutes of talk time and still have 30% battery.

Also, I use a profile manager with a widget where I can set my phone to airplane mode. Generally before I jump on the subway, I put it in airplane mode for 15 minutes. Same if I'm working where there is no cell service.

I'd like to see Motorola have a smart action that would stop the phone hunting for 4G when the signal is weak and put the phone into no mobile data when it is on 1x for fixed times, say 10 minutes then check signal again.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgerbasio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sumomuscle
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
I was using the RAZR M, just switched to the HD Maxx. I really haven't put the phone through more than a couple hours of use. I took it off the charger yesterday after being fully charged and 14 hours later (no use, overnight) I had 99% battery. My M would be at 85%. I really like the M, one of the best cell phones I had but the signal on the HD is much better which is why I bought it.

What worked for me in getting great battery life from my M: Go into Google Maps, settings and turn off location reporting from this phone. It virtually doubled my battery life on the M where I'm get 14 hours with 90 minutes of talk time and still have 30% battery.

Also, I use a profile manager with a widget where I can set my phone to airplane mode. Generally before I jump on the subway, I put it in airplane mode for 15 minutes. Same if I'm working where there is no cell service.

I'd like to see Motorola have a smart action that would stop the phone hunting for 4G when the signal is weak and put the phone into no mobile data when it is on 1x for fixed times, say 10 minutes then check signal again.
This definitely worked for me. I've been trying to figure out why I would still get significant drain while in standby (approximately 2%/hour) and while using smart actions to shut off wifi and data off when the screen is off. Since I've turned off location reporting my standby time is rock solid. Put it on my shelf at 12:00am with 54% and woke up at 7:00am with 54%.

vctrrl
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-03-15-22-27-56.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1808168

I would love if my battery could last more... But, overall, it's good duration, I think. Wifi was on all the time, brightness at 30%, no gps.

Is there anything I can do to make it last more time?

idless
Old
(Last edited by idless; 22nd March 2013 at 12:21 PM.) Reason: forgot something
Thanks Meter 34
The way I see it Android Jelly Bean (including Razr hd) has two battery options. With Google Now: on or off.

If you leave it on (default) JB will have much worse battery life than ICS but you can enjoy Google Now 's nice location based services.

Turn it off (and other location based settings such as auto update location in google settings) battery life will become MUCH better.

I think Google's 'possible mistake' is not to proberly inform users of the disadvantages of the relatively advanced features of Google Now. Personally I am still undecided whether Google Now is worth it or not.

I have also disabled motorola services to reduce wake locks. That means I will not recieve updates automaticly until I enable the servies again, but that is of no significance for me. I can enable whenever i feel like it easily and it is not like I will die if I do not get an update at the very instance it is released. This also provides some extra battery life.

Wifi should be set to always on i advanced wifi settings. In general Wifi should be used whenever available as it is much less taxing on the battery than the mobile data radio.

Of cause there is not much to do about the battery consumption by the screen. This is simply a cost of having a big HD screen is to my knowledge not a less significant issue on other big screen phones. I don't think new phones with 1080p screens will fare any better on this issue.
If really concerned maybe choose a black wallpaper (less pixels are turned on which is supposed to save battery on AMOLED screens).

Finally I do not know if has any battery implication but I have installed a third party launcher (Nova). Moto own launcher is ok but simple does not compete with third party launchers constantly beeing improved upon. Nova launcher is very smooth!

On my phone (XT925, bootlocked, non-rooted with o2 4.1.2 JB firmware) I very very rarely experience lag and i have very good battery life (in particular standby time). With some minor tweeking I am extremely pleased with this phone!

vctrrl: your screen time is bound to by very high! Not much to do about this. Also: You will face same problem on any other phone with big screen such as new and upcomming 5inch phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to idless For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]