5,596,568 Members 41,119 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 - WiFi Ad-Hoc fix for wpa_supplicant?

Tip us?

Ferrari328
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks to rdelfin and BlueVPN I got this working.on my TP2 with WM 6.5 after reading this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=560865. I still can't find the CMGuardian process so I have to reapply the changes after a soft reset.

mewshi
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Wifi Tether for Root Users on the phone has had infrastructure mode for ages now. Most phones will support it, especially any 'older' ones with a large base.

I kind think that ad-hoc wifi as a way to get online is... lackluster, at best...
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

cloudwatcher
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Cloud Search My excellent ad hoc adventure

Trying to get my N7 working with my ancient (WM6) phone's ad hoc wifi was my mission - but like lots of people, no joy.

Turned out it wasn't really necessary (neither was unlocking or rooting my N7, but what's done is done, oh well )

Simple answer: Bluetooth networking.

Built in to the WM6 phone. Built into the N7. No apps needed on either device. Just set up a networking connection on the phone and paired it with the N7.

Only tested with Chrome, but it works fine, and since android shows the connection as "Connected to device for Internet access" I expect it should work as well as wifi, if not quite as fast. But it's only a 3G phone anyway, so realistically it's good enough for occasional use, which is all I wanted anyway.

Don't know if this will help too many other folks but just thought I'd share...

wildpig1234
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwatcher View Post
Trying to get my N7 working with my ancient (WM6) phone's ad hoc wifi was my mission - but like lots of people, no joy.

Turned out it wasn't really necessary (neither was unlocking or rooting my N7, but what's done is done, oh well )

Simple answer: Bluetooth networking.

Built in to the WM6 phone. Built into the N7. No apps needed on either device. Just set up a networking connection on the phone and paired it with the N7.

Only tested with Chrome, but it works fine, and since android shows the connection as "Connected to device for Internet access" I expect it should work as well as wifi, if not quite as fast. But it's only a 3G phone anyway, so realistically it's good enough for occasional use, which is all I wanted anyway.

Don't know if this will help too many other folks but just thought I'd share...

Not too disappoint you but did you read an earlier post in this topic? BT DUN doesn't work for many apps.

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

So is this it? Has Google finally able to thwart any and all attempt from here on at adding ad hoc support? I imagine that they will now continue to carry this on to the next over of android.

Personally, I am willing to pay someone for their time and effort if they can develops a working solution to adding ad hoc back to jelly bean.

ROLY5573
Old
(Last edited by ROLY5573; 1st February 2013 at 10:08 AM.) Reason: missed description
Thanks Meter 6
Just as a mention:
My Ainol Novo7 AuroraV3 Stock Rom, already rooted, out of the box, runnung Android 4.0.3, finds and connects to ad-hoc networks. I have made no alterations to this tablet.

ROLY5573
Old
(Last edited by ROLY5573; 1st February 2013 at 10:53 AM.) Reason: spelling.
Thanks Meter 6
Here is the wpa_supplicant from the Novo7. Hopefully someone may find it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: rar wpa_supplicant.rar - [Click for QR Code] (249.9 KB, 77 views)

FitAmp
Old
Thanks Meter 683
Default Re: Nexus 7 - WiFi Ad-Hoc fix for wpa_supplicant?

I believe a kernel needs to be compiled with the ad hoc module. I could be wrong though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

emgo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Ad Hoc for Nexus 7

Take a look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post37613938 CARUPANBOW has Ad Hoc working on the Nexus 7. We just need to find a way to have WiFi working at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to emgo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CARUPANBOW
Old
(Last edited by CARUPANBOW; 20th February 2013 at 06:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Thumbs down JB 4.2.2 wont let me connect with my previous method

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgo View Post
Take a look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post37613938 CARUPANBOW has Ad Hoc working on the Nexus 7. We just need to find a way to have WiFi working at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARUPANBOW View Post
Just a quick heads up

I've updated my n7 to rootbox v2.0 (comes with JB 4.2.2) and now I cannot connect it to my hotspot with my previous method, after checking my /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file now shows this line:

network={
ssid="JOIKUSPOT"
disabled=1
}

What the heck does this mean? seems to be that the more I update my tablet the harder is getting to connect it to my ad hoc network, this makes me think maybe google wants to erradicate ad hoc wifi support from the OS, to me this is dumbest thing I ever heard since this tablet is WIFI only, isn't supposed to support ANY wifi network it finds in order to work properly? other OS like iOS or Symbian does still support it. Just the fact that i cannot use my tablet the way I want it to is very disappointing, and now I face two options: 1) Downgrade the tablet and never let it update again. 2) Install ubuntu and never again install android.

Im very sorry to say this but this is my first android device and my experience with it is very unsatisfactory, sometimes I wish I could get a refund and try the iPad mini or wait for any decent windows rt tablet.

For now I think i'm going for my option 2, tomorrow ubuntu will release the tablet version of their OS for the nexus 7, ill check it out and ill tell you my experience with it.

Please, if someone knows any of the senior contributors/developers of this community, please make them notice this issue, its almost unbelievable that ad hoc support haven't been fixed from android since issue #82, the original linux kernel supports it, and then google stripped it out and nobody got a response about this in the forums/groups, I know this is not an easy task, cause the android SDK doesnt support it either, also that you have to add the IBSS driver into the kernel and patch the wpa_supplicant file to stop filtering ad hoc networks, I still dont know if many people have requested this feature why even the modding community for android havent come with a concrete solution for this, there are a lot of kernel modders out there and I could find only one kernel that would work for me. I have to say that the most frustrating part of this situation is the lack of answers from the forums, I know this post already reached 1000 views, this means there's people still looking for an answer like me.
Im sorry to say this but we need help from someone who knows about kernel modding, also anyone who can give us an updated patched wpa_supplicant each time google updates the OS, and seems to be they actively are removing ad hoc support and even restricting it in each update. I cant confirm this but its the feel i got from my experience trying various ICS/JB versions / custom roms / custom kernels.

pssecretajent
Old
Thanks Meter 27
[MOD]Adhoc WIFI support for Android JellyBean (Tested
by me with JoikuSpot)
try it ll work surly

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2163363

The Following User Says Thank You to pssecretajent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]