Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,700 Members 42,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Get HTC One aka M7 (Snapdragon 600) or wait for Snapdragon 800 device?

Tip us?

bramgg
Old
(Last edited by bramgg; 21st February 2013 at 11:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] Get HTC One aka M7 (Snapdragon 600) or wait for Snapdragon 800 device?

I am thinking of getting a HTC One. But, after seeing the spec sheet of Snapdragon, comparing the Snapsragon 600 (used in HTC One) vs the Snapdragon 800 the latter seems to be far better than the 600 series. Also, in the spec sheet the SD 600 is categorized under mid-high end phones, where the SD 800 is intended for super premium phones, tablets and smart tv's. Source: Spec sheet and Qualcomm Press Release

So, I'd like to know your opinions. Should I go for the HTC One, which seems a great phone overall, just not the best possible SOC (but great enough for a phone I reckon), or should I wait for one of the first Snapdragon 800 devices?
Sony Xperia Z1

HTC EVO 3D - Serving its time as a glorified baby monitor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bramgg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pedja1
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1599

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Get HTC One aka M7 (Snapdragon 600) or wait for Snapdragon 800 device?

These days no matter which phone you buy, few months later something better will get released.
And besides that, at the moment snapdragon s4 pro is best soc available(until htc one comes out) and snapdragon 600 is suppose to be 40% better in performances, so I would definitely go for it...

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2
Device: Nexus 5 ROM:Stock, Android 4.4.4 Recovery: TWRP Multirom

My Blog - latest news about my projects and stuff

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pedja1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quattro_rs
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Default Re: [Q] Get HTC One aka M7 (Snapdragon 600) or wait for Snapdragon 800 device?

I don't think we will see the 800 on phones at least not until a new chip can beat the 600.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to quattro_rs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ejatds
Old
Thanks Meter 734
at this point i honestly feel like phones don't really have a need to get any faster for day-to-day usage. it's more about software features. 1080p is nice, but it's not a MUST HAVE over a 720p. snapdragon 800 is a great bonus if you're in the market for a smartphone when it comes out, but getting the s4 pro or the 600 will probably not give you any lag or speed problems. i mostly root and install stock android on most of my phones so the 2 things i always look for are:

1. battery life
2. design

that's it. though i wonder if i'd rather stay on htc sense if i ever get an htc phone. everyone always bashes it but i find sense to be extremely good looking (even better than stock).
Want to be BOSS? Well now you can with the BOSS Theme.

http://android-ui-utils.googlecode.c...ce-frames.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejatds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethan3686
Old
Thanks Meter 94
S800 will come around Q4..And there isno end to it.I am sure when it comes out there will be talksof anoher high end soc..S900 maybe..Its only bcoz u know about it that you are waiting..you should not wait and besides s600 is blazingly fast and the fastest chip so far!
The Following User Says Thank You to ethan3686 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ma$etas
Old
Thanks Meter 146
after the S800 the S900 then the S1000 etc... every few months there will be something newer and faster just like dual core, quad core and now the supposed 8core chips that are being developed or already developed ... as well as the SGS3 then SGS4 then SGS5 , note 3, then note 4 etc.. you get the idea if you wait for the newer thing thats "about to come out" then your gonna always end up waiting and never have anything ...
If I helped you then thank me by hitting that thanks button.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ma$etas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bramgg
Old
(Last edited by bramgg; 21st February 2013 at 11:28 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Since I get a new phone every 2 years I could wait a couple of months for better, newer hardware though. SD800 devices are said to use Quick Charge 2.0 and Voice activation, which are ONLY available only for the SD800 devices. I read somewhere that there are already 55 SD800 devices in the works (source), so waiting a couple more months for a significant performance boost, even lower battery drain, and charging the battery up to 75% faster seems logical to me. (Not to mention encode/decode of 4K HD content, 50% boost in graphics and 100% boost in performance due to Adreno 330, 50% faster LTE bandwidth and clocked to 2,3GHz) Those are a lot of high percentages! Voice activation could be interesting, but I rarely use voice so that's not a big deal for me. Maybe in the future when Google Now becomes available in the Netherlands though.

The comments are understandable that you should not wait for the next best thing as you will end up having nothing. But a few more months for such a performance and feature boost, to me, is a better insurance my phone will keep up the next 2 years (hardware wise).

But thanks again for the replies!
Sony Xperia Z1

HTC EVO 3D - Serving its time as a glorified baby monitor
The Following User Says Thank You to bramgg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Trekest
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Well, I've had early access to one running a final build in Canada. If it's performance you're worried about; I've ran Nenamark 2 on it, and it never went below 60 FPS. The result was 60.2 average.

The only major thing that could have made me wait though is the quicker charging feature, however I mostly charge my devices at night so charging times makes little difference to me.

Don't take my word for it though, I'm biased towards the One. I've been following it since it was just a rumor and had already pre-ordered it.
HTC One M7, Rom: Stock v5.11.401.10
Asus Transformer Prime TF201, Rom: CROMBi-kk 4.4.2 F2FS
Alumni: Nokia 51102 SK Crap SlidersSamsung SCH-A630Samsung SCH-R500Nokia N96 (my first dual core phone, it is!)HTC Sensation
My nickname is uniquely idiotic, and fits the person using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trekest For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethan3686
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Its the most poerful device rite now..what else do u want? Evn s4 wont be that big a difference..and plasticky :P
The Following User Says Thank You to ethan3686 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LorD ClockaN
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 27403

DONATE TO ME
Life is short, buy the best one that is offered in the given moment!
New ROM/kernel versions depend strictly on my wife's sex drive, so ask her for ETA!!

IceColdJelly IRC channel
HTC One X -> IceColdJelly422
Build IceColdJelly422 from source - link

One X: IceColdJelly JB - OneX - git, IceColdAOKP ICS - OneX - git
Desire HD: IceColdSandwich - git, AOSP GB kernel - 10.0, Sense GB kernel

If you like my work, please consider buying me a beer via paypal to my email: davor@losinj.com
Help me get some extra space on dropbox - link

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LorD ClockaN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]