XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu Phone for the HTC HD2

Tip us?

ro-mann
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default Ubuntu Phone for the HTC HD2

Does anyone know whether it will be possible to install the new Ubuntu Phone on the HTC HD2?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to ro-mann For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aitrus
Old
Thanks Meter 55
I think it's very possible, it is open source. I saw in one video that they're hoping or are willing to help developers port it to other phones.
My hd2 is ready for this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aitrus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JJ1990
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I am a lil excited about this, particularly if we will have the option to boot into desktop by docking. Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is being used as the demo phone, I'm imagining that our lil HD2 will be capable (not saying they have identical specs, but clearly ubunto are going to demo it well above the min requirements)

lkashl
Old
(Last edited by lkashl; 15th January 2013 at 03:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1990 View Post
I am a lil excited about this, particularly if we will have the option to boot into desktop by docking. Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is being used as the demo phone, I'm imagining that our lil HD2 will be capable (not saying they have identical specs, but clearly ubunto are going to demo it well above the min requirements)
They mentioned somewhere they wanted to have Ubuntu running not only across devices but on budget grade hardware within a device type as well. The HD2 still performs well relative to budget phones so I dont anticipate there will be any problems with the reqs. Can't wait till someone manages to get their hands on and port this!

EDIT: Actually wait, pulled from the Ubuntu site, there will be 2 versions:

Entry level (no desktop convergence)
1ghz cortex A9
512-1gb ram
4-8gb emmc + sd

High end (desktop convergence)
Quad core A9/Intel Atom
1gb ram
32gb emmc + sd

I'm sure the talented devs here will be able to manage something to get the high end onto the HD2, looks kind of overspec'd to me
The Following User Says Thank You to lkashl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

closeddoors1559
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkashl View Post
They mentioned somewhere they wanted to have Ubuntu running not only across devices but on budget grade hardware within a device type as well. The HD2 still performs well relative to budget phones so I dont anticipate there will be any problems with the reqs. Can't wait till someone manages to get their hands on and port this!

EDIT: Actually wait, pulled from the Ubuntu site, there will be 2 versions:

Entry level (no desktop convergence)
1ghz cortex A9
512-1gb ram
4-8gb emmc + sd

High end (desktop convergence)
Quad core A9/Intel Atom
1gb ram
32gb emmc + sd

I'm sure the talented devs here will be able to manage something to get the high end onto the HD2, looks kind of overspec'd to me
Actually no, the high end phones running Ubuntu will also have a dock which will provide full desktop functionality (mouse, keyboard and
monitor). This is because the mobile version of Ubuntu will run on two cores, and the full Ubuntu desktop will run on the other two cores.

According to the requirements, the HD2 will be able to run Ubuntu Phone itself, though.

Hope this clears things up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to closeddoors1559 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ro-mann
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default AW: Ubuntu Phone for the HTC HD2

Any news? How could we get a dev going for this?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

tooAlive
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm eagerly awaiting news on this as well!

I'd love to see Ubuntu running on the HD2. Is there anything this phone can't do?

Sancher
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Yeah, I'm waiting for this too. I was able to launch GIMP using Debian on my HD2, so I'm very excited about getting usable Ubuntu

xyntaxis
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Its very interesting for me too!

Sancher
Old
Thanks Meter 10
It is available now for Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4!!!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Instal...InstallProcess
We need some developers here
I'm ready to test it on my HD2.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sancher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]