Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

OP Lesicnik1

20th February 2013, 07:15 PM   |  #741  
Thanks Meter: 1,539

5,187 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdaley

The guy that last updated the page is in Spain so if he put it up at midnight, we in the US would have it this evening.

Is it possible that "detailed installation instructions and more" means they are going to only release the instructions, screenshots, maybe the final sdk? How much would that suck?

I never took their "release" as a full blown, ready to go OS that anyone can just take and flash and be up and running. They said they were releasing it to the developers on the 21st. So what you said about "only release the instructions, screenshots, maybe the final sdk" is probably right. But I'm sure it wont be long after that until the developers have a "ready to go" version for us to flash.
20th February 2013, 07:24 PM   |  #742  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 151

309 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdaley

The guy that last updated the page is in Spain so if he put it up at midnight, we in the US would have it this evening.

Is it possible that "detailed installation instructions and more" means they are going to only release the instructions, screenshots, maybe the final sdk? How much would that suck?

This is the site you will look for the install: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TouchInstallProcess

& oh wow that would suck! but they have indicated that the image will release.. what use will it be to explain the process and not give out the code lol

But you are right the guy who updated it is located at Europe/Madrid...however he can just be receiving instructions from Mark sitting somewhere else lmao.. 7:30 PM in Madrid so let it be a 12 am release (fingers crossed)
20th February 2013, 07:27 PM   |  #743  
Flag Saarbrücken
Thanks Meter: 99

296 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: Canonical releases Ubuntu Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam razzy

Waiting for it since... 1997

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hehe.. Me too ..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
20th February 2013, 07:29 PM   |  #744  
Recognized Contributor
Flag C:\windows\system32\
Thanks Meter: 2,194

1,781 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane08

This is the site you will look for the install: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TouchInstallProcess

& oh wow that would suck! but they have indicated that the image will release.. what use will it be to explain the process and not give out the code lol

But you are right the guy who updated it is located at Europe/Madrid...however he can just be receiving instructions from Mark sitting somewhere else lmao.. 7:30 PM in Madrid so let it be a 12 am release (fingers crossed)

But who said it will be him who updates the page it could be someone in the Uk that does it
The Following User Says Thank You to Garner For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2013, 08:06 PM   |  #745  
Recognized Contributor
Flag C:\windows\system32\
Thanks Meter: 2,194

1,781 posts
Donate to Me
More
Im hoping that the bloke in Madrid who seems to update this page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TouchInstallProcess has not got a office like in the below image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-business-office-and-world-clock-on-the-wall-109871135.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1746650  
20th February 2013, 08:41 PM   |  #746  
Flag NYC

309 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garner

Im hoping that the bloke in Madrid who seems to update this page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TouchInstallProcess has not got a office like in the below image

lol it would be quite unfortunate.
All he has there is a phone and a colorless wall imprinted with shutterstock...
how will he even update with no computer?
At least he has the time & a comfy chair
20th February 2013, 09:11 PM   |  #747  
Thanks Meter: 41

104 posts
Many videos here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch
20th February 2013, 09:18 PM   |  #748  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
O.K. Here's my dumb question of the day-

It is my understanding that most of the hardware manufacturers pay a settlement/ licensing fee to Microsoft for some process involving android that Msft owns a patent for, I don't understand the details, but... Will phone and tablet makers be able to avoid these fees if they sell Ubuntu devices?
20th February 2013, 09:36 PM   |  #749  
Flag perth
Thanks Meter: 245

1,191 posts
More
Re: Canonical releases Ubuntu Mobile
Its 5am on the 21st here an no Ubuntu.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
20th February 2013, 09:44 PM   |  #750  
Flag NYC

309 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreen1

O.K. Here's my dumb question of the day-

It is my understanding that most of the hardware manufacturers pay a settlement/ licensing fee to Microsoft for some process involving android that Msft owns a patent for, I don't understand the details, but... Will phone and tablet makers be able to avoid these fees if they sell Ubuntu devices?

That is a tricky question because not all the details are disclosed to the public. And esp with Ubuntu Os being new we don't know the approach they will take. Seeing how Microsoft has manyy patents [I read a article a while ago saying that just in 2010 I believe Microsoft gained approx 3,000 patients just that year] they will pretty much get a cut of something. + Msft gains more revenue from their patents than they do from Windows mobile so that should show something lol... ill try to find the article if your interested.

But I don't think anyone can avoid these fees now. If its not Microsoft gaining profits its IBM/Apple with their patent hungry lifestyle.

& no question is a dumb question
Last edited by insane08; 20th February 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread