Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,289 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The All-in-One Nexus 7 Charger Issues thread

Tip us?

tmlclone
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah Cable problem.

Used some other long ones, drainage > recharge.

My Stock and short one no problem.
Tried a long logitech one, no problem now.

mrnatas19
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default sharing a tidbit

Hi,

My N7 was recently not charging. I was using the original cable and original adapter (and tried all possible combinations of some others I had available). I was worried that recently flashing a kernel caused some sort of issue (it had charged since flashing the kernel, so I wasn't too worried). I removed the back cover, unplugged and replugged the battery cable from the motherboard, and now it charges correctly (in that it actually displays a charging icon on the screen).

Not claiming that this is a panacea, but perhaps it may help others who have the same issue as I.

zPacKRat
Old
Thanks Meter 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnatas19 View Post
Hi,

My N7 was recently not charging. I was using the original cable and original adapter (and tried all possible combinations of some others I had available). I was worried that recently flashing a kernel caused some sort of issue (it had charged since flashing the kernel, so I wasn't too worried). I removed the back cover, unplugged and replugged the battery cable from the motherboard, and now it charges correctly (in that it actually displays a charging icon on the screen).

Not claiming that this is a panacea, but perhaps it may help others who have the same issue as I.
had issues with 2 16gb units this Christmas where the plug looked mostly plugged in, but was not. odd thing is that the battery in the 16gb devices is noticeably smaller than the battery in in the 32gb unit I bought for myself.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
Don't be lazy, use the search button.

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24119

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
One of the kernel tweaks available in most kernels is "Enable Fast Charging on USB". Not sure what this actually does but using Battery Monitor Widget notification went from USB plugged to AC plugged. Charging went from 479mA to 875mA. Now I don't think this actually shorts any pins but I think there must be some kind of USB handshaking going on. Maybe Nexus usually detects USB and only lets in 500mA max. (Why, I don't know--must be some USB standard. ) Changing the setting in the kernel apparently changes what the Nexus allows for current. Hmm. It also disables data transfer over the USB while in this setting. Maybe it does short the pins after all. Naahh, couldn't... Could it??
This could possibly have some effect if plugged into an Apple throttled port?
Don't know. If I get one of those chargers with an iPort I'll give it a shot.
It IS a USB standard. Devices are NOT permitted to draw more than 500 mA from a Standard Downstream Port (the typical USB port found in most machines).

Drawing more current is allowed from a Dedicated Charging Port (DCP), which is a port that shorts D+ and D- internally to the charger. iDevice chargers are NOT detected as a DCP because they don't follow the standard.

There's a new standard that specifies a Charging Downstream Port (CDP) which allows draw of more than 500 mA from a PC - very few devices and PCs support this yet.

And one or two of my acronyms might be wrong above.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

goofball2k
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Just bought one of these

http://www.targus.com/us/productdeta...26%20Portables

Works great for all my other phones/devices. There is a small cable that is included that allows it to charge the N7. Without using it, the N7 won't charge. This is great though, as I had a belkin one like this but it wouldn't charge the N7.

admiralsaltybob
Old
(Last edited by admiralsaltybob; 1st February 2013 at 01:39 AM.) Reason: Grammar!
Thanks Meter 0
Plug BlackBerry Premium International Charger works with Nexus 7

I don't have the right tools, so I wasn't able to measure the exact output of the BlackBerry Premium International Charger, but when I plugged it into my Nexus 7 (while already in the Battery settings page), it immediately switched to 'Charging (AC)'

As you can see in the pic, the packaging let me see the charger unit itself, which clearly stated its output at: 5 Volts, 2Amps
When I bought it, I was still concerned that it wouldn't work, but hey... It was in the bargain bin at Staples for $4.97!!

Headed to the UK next month, so I got pretty lucky here - thought I would share this with all of you. If you live in Canada, you should check out Staples! They are clearing out all of their older BlackBerry stock, so you might find one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0010040000682.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1693594  

sadsplace
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Re: The All-in-One Nexus 7 Charger Issues thread

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I just bought one of these charging cables from Portapow http://www.portablepowersupplies.co....peed-charging/ and it charges the same if not better than the stock cable, and is longer!
It has the data pins shorted so should work with any charger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

hoekeat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have a generic dual usb 5v 2a charger and it took more than 8 hours to charge N7 if i use the stock micro usb cable. After reading this thread, i tried the same charger with micro usb charge cable (as per attachment) that i got from Yoobao power bank and it charge from 70% to 100% in less than 1 hour!!! You can tell (from the connector) that this micro usb cable from yoobao only let u charge, but never transmit data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 7 charge cable.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	1728202  

nikjft
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I've been using the "PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w Travel Wall Charger ", which works fantastically with my Nexus. Charges at least as quickly as the stock charger and doesn't need a dedicated charging cable. Also charges two devices (although that takes some amperage away and slows down charging a bit). My only complaint is that the LED on it is very bright, which can be a bit irritating in a hotel room.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

khaytsus
Old
(Last edited by khaytsus; 21st March 2013 at 09:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1061
I don't know when this started happening, but my Nexus 7 has started charging about 12%/hr. Nothing is running, using CPU etc like that. I guess I'll try another cable, I've always used the stock charger, but using a longer USB cable. Not a cheapy either, a decent one.

I'm seeing posts that folks see 30% or higher charge rates, so something is clearly wrong.

But I wonder if something else is possibly wrong, as my screen on battery usage also seems to be rather high.

EDIT: Stock cable, back to 25%/hr charge rate. And another similar longer cable, 25%/hr. So the cable I've been using has gone defective. Interesting.
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.4, AOKP (m-kernel)
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com