Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 55,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 8.9 [05/27 CM11/TWRP 2.7.x.x]

Tip us?

ddem1
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Thanks for this! After hours of fiddling around I managed to get it done, was first time playing with adb manually.

Make sure to use

Code:
adb devices
to check if your device is recognized by the computer. In case you get it recognized once but not the second time, try re-enabling ADB option in Kindle settings and then

Code:
adb kill-server
adb devices
The official Amazon pages helped me, follow the instructions for installing the SDK
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/setup.html#step4

and also
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fir...onnectYourFire

Another problem was that I didn't figure out I needed root. Anyway i got that done following this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1996873

Using that program with option 1 and ignoring the password when asked for it on the Kindle worked like a charm.

Technogen
Old
(Last edited by Technogen; 17th February 2013 at 04:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroyoShark View Post
After installing CM10.1+ Gapps, it booted to a black screen, so I did a hard reset. Went back into TWRP, wiped system, and flashed just CM10.1. After that, it got stuck on the orange Kindle Fire logo (doesn't get to the blue one) and even reflashing the bootloader/recovery doesn't fix it.
EDIT: Tried restoring my system backup from the stock ROM, that didn't work either. Restoring the stock boot image makes it so I can boot into the stock ROM though.

EDIT 2: Must have done something wrong. It's working fine again, but CM10.1 still doesn't work.
KFHD8.9 16gb

Where you able to get around the stuck on "kindle fire logo" issue and install CM10.1? I ran CM10.1 but the build.prop was messed up and none(0) of the apps in the market would work. So I did a full wipe rebooted and reinstalled 10.1 and Gapps, now I am getting stuck at the orange KF logo. I'm going to try pushing the old bootloader and Amazon OS back and then doing twrp and CM10.1 and see if that fixes it (yes I know don't do freedom again). (note I copied line for line, step for step from OP)

Got this when attempting to go back to stock.

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
target reported max download size of 1006632960 bytes
error: cannot load 'boot.img': No error

Doing twrp setup gets me stuck back ad the kindle fire logo again.

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd8-twrp-2.3.3.0-recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.447s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.866s]
finished. total time: 1.315s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>

Dirty Pete
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arda99 View Post
Enter fastboot by running:
"
adb shell
su
reboot bootloader
"

KF will reboot into fastboot and the device name in device manager is "Jem-PVT-Prod-04" without any driver.
At this point, device is in fastboot mode but normal fastboot commands will NOT work.

Manually install the amazon adb driver(should be somewhere like c:\programs files\amazon\drivers) name is "Android Composite ADB Interface", ignore the Windows warning and contiune. Fastboot commands start working after that.
This was critical for me in getting fastboot to work. Thank you sincerely for this post, I've been scouring xda-forums looking for exactly these instructions.

Pete

ZilverZurfarn
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
error: cannot load 'boot.img': No error
Do you have boot.img in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools?
ADP1 ADS_Magpie (retired)
Desire Z CM 7.2
HTC One X (stock)
KFHD 8.9
Dreaming of electric sheep
Get DropBox!

The Following User Says Thank You to ZilverZurfarn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Technogen
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilverZurfarn View Post
Do you have boot.img in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools?
I can not brain today, I have the dumb. The files were named stock-" " sigh... thank you.

wojo797
Old
(Last edited by wojo797; 20th February 2013 at 06:15 AM.) Reason: i is stupid
Thanks Meter 70
i am a idiot nevermind

Slimepuppy
Old
(Last edited by Slimepuppy; 25th February 2013 at 12:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Just a couple of assorted comments from a relative newb that's exercised and broken this boot loader.

KFHD 8.9 16GB

The end first:

- Backup your stock system files and move the files off the Kindle before installing TWRP
- Backup your configured system and move the files off the Kindle after installing TWRP
- Flashing boot.img, recovery.img, and system.img in fastboot will remove the TWRP bootloader and return the Kindle to stock
- It's just as quick and easy to install TWRP the second time around - yes, use the Freedom image 'again' if the device has been flashed back to stock (TWRP not present).
- Hashcode tells us to backup our systems and save the files. If we don't do that, rooted stock images are available from a number of developers, including Onemeila and Prokennexusa.
- The Onemeila and Prokennexusa tools include fastboot/ADB drivers, so there no need to install any SDKs if you don't already have and/or need them.

The story...

Hashcode's install process worked perfectly and I've enjoyed the freedom of moving back and forth between different versions of the Amazon software and his CM10 Alpha within minutes. The utility and the backup.restore process is a toaster - it just works!

During the process of learning, installing and deleting a bunch of software, and testing a couple of toolkit apps, I had remnant files, directories, and other strangeness that I wanted to completely purge and reset to 'stock.' Yes, that's the set-up.

TWRP made it very easy to backup and restore, and it also makes it easy to do a complete wipe of the system, caches, user files, etc. etc. which I did. Unfortunately, what I "didn't did" is copy the backup files off the Kindle. And that created an interesting challenge, as I found myself with TWRP but an otherwise blank device. I wonder how I'll move system files onto the Kindle now?

I tried the TWRP sideload function, but couldn't get the Windows PC to recognize the Kindle while in TWRP - attempts to sideload failed. If anyone has a fix for this, I'm interested in learning it! Is this where one might use an OMAP driver?

I've successfully used Onemeila's restore images in the past, so brought those to bear to reflash the stock files in Fastboot. But the images for the 8.9 include only the system, not the boot or recovery images. Once that sunk into my newb brain (after staring at the orange kindlefire logo), I dug around until I remembered that Proconnexusa's tool included a three-image download in their restore process. If you use the Proconnexusa tool, let it run through downloading the image files (or pull the files manually) as the default process assumes the Kindle starts the restore process in ADB mode...

Pushing only the system.img leaves the Kindle in the orange kindlefire portion of the boot process - it sticks there and doesn't progress. I needed to also flash boot.img and recovery.img for the Kindle to move from the static to the 'animated' orange kindlefire portion of the boot process and ultimately into a functioning system.

Even after overwriting the TWRP boot process, the Kindle was never bricked - I always had access to the device via Fastboot.

Too many words, but I hope it's useful to others that install this excellent tool! Thanks Hashcode!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slimepuppy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arda99
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Never tried that on KF, but adb push/pull should work under TWRP for file transfer.
The Following User Says Thank You to arda99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Slimepuppy
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by arda99 View Post
Never tried that on KF, but adb push/pull should work under TWRP for file transfer.
Thanks - good to hear it works on other devices!

Part of last night/early this morning's Google'n around brought this from Team Win:
http://teamw.in/ADBSideload

My PC's drivers are solid for Fastboot, ADB, and 'file manager' access in the Amazon builds and in CM10.1, but when I put TWRP into ADB Sideload mode and connect the USB, the PC shows the Kindle in the device manager with no driver. I went through the delete driver, reinstall process but couldn't come up with a driver that worked. That's ultimately why I broke down and decided to try to restore the old boot images.

field3d
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default I tried to install but...

I tried to install all the process but when reboot never advance from Kindle logo. I gave all the commands and entered fastboot perfect I made the backup of course of a KFHD rom I had with the commands of backup you are posting. I want to revert to stock factory because I have GPS troubles is not detected and I have the kindle fire with 4G 64 GB is for that I want to install 2nd boot loader but like I said no luck is stuck on the logo of kindle. I tried to install KFHD like before and crash at same in the logo stuck the only way I can enter was with the backups I made according your post I used the commands to restore the backup and with that worked again but my problem is I don´t have GPS and with restore to default from kindle settings doesn´t do nothing just delete my settings but still no GPS then how can I install 2nd loader to boot install the factory stock rom? Why after make the process stuck in Amazon logo?
Thank you