Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu is HERE!!!

Tip us?

nightfox11
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Default Re: Ubuntu is HERE!!!

I Can hardly wait! Will this be a flash through CMW recovery ?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Sony Xperia Z Stock
Galaxy s4 WICKED
Galaxy Note 2 Jedi Master
Nexus 10 Stock rooted 4.3
Note 10.1 Stock Rooted

styckx
Old
Thanks Meter 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox11 View Post

I would highly doubt it. Custom recoveries aren't native tools and can't see them relying on community methods of flashing.. When they released they dev build of full blown Ubuntu 12.10 for the N7 it was installed in Ubuntu and used fastboot in the background to wipe, format the partitions and install.
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED
The Following User Says Thank You to styckx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trickster2369
Old
Thanks Meter 756

DONATE TO ME

I'm more spot to think about this a little backwards. I would like to see Android as an os on a PC.

Sent from my Nexus 10

dalingrin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster2369 View Post
I'm more spot to think about this a little backwards. I would like to see Android as an os on a PC.

Sent from my Nexus 10
I like Android but it is still really limited. Having two application on screen at once is a must for me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

SayWhat10
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster2369 View Post

Sent from my Nexus 10
well you can run most apps on a PC already in a window

KMyers
Old
Thanks Meter 296

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astriaal View Post
Just the developer preview right now it looks like, I thought it was the full release for some reason. Anyone planning to jump in head first just for fun?
Lets put it this way, after the announcement, I went out and PURCHASED a Nexus 10 just to load this on

I dont have a Nexus 4, I like how Android is on my Nexus 7, no build was being released for my Transformer Infinity, so the logical option was to go out and buy a 32 GB Nexus 10. It is sitting in my desk drawer as we speak, powered off ready for flashing. (I did unlock the bootloader). I dont want to get too attached to it, hence why I have not booted into Android.
Keith M

SayWhat10
Old
Thanks Meter 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers View Post
Lets put it this way, after the announcement, I went out and PURCHASED a Nexus 10 just to load this on

I dont have a Nexus 4, I like how Android is on my Nexus 7, no build was being released for my Transformer Infinity, so the logical option was to go out and buy a 32 GB Nexus 10. It is sitting in my desk drawer as we speak, powered off ready for flashing. (I did unlock the bootloader). I dont want to get too attached to it, hence why I have not booted into Android.
Lol i really dont see all the hoopla about ubunto

KMyers
Old
Thanks Meter 296

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
I would highly doubt it. Custom recoveries aren't native tools and can't see them relying on community methods of flashing.. When they released they dev build of full blown Ubuntu 12.10 for the N7 it was installed in Ubuntu and used fastboot in the background to wipe, format the partitions and install.
Per the Hands On posted on Engadget, it will be done via Fastboot. This would mean that if you ever wanted to go back to Android, you would need to use the Stock Images on the Android Developer Site. In my case, I purchased this Nexus 10 purely to play with Ubuntu, so this is not a problem for me
Keith M

pgibbons
Old
(Last edited by pgibbons; 21st February 2013 at 12:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 29
I was hoping this preview build would be more finished so it could be used as a daily driver. No Google contacts integration and no music player. I'm wondering if the Facebook app works. Seems like only the video player and gallery are working

cpg1111
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does anyone know if Ubuntu will be available for non-nexus devices, tablets and phones, for instance galaxy tablet in this case and galaxy s3 in the case of phones?