XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

broken volume button after display replacement

Tip us?

fredbred
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default broken volume button after display replacement

I have successfully replaced the screen on the HTC HD2 Leo, but after assembling the phone the volume button is not working. I am not sure if there can be something missing as I cannot feel the 'click' when it's pushed. (not sure if it was there before though)

As far as I remember the volume button consist of two parts: the printed circuit and the plastic button. Or is there maybe something that needs to be connected that I have missed?

Thanks for any hints

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 443

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbred View Post
I have successfully replaced the screen on the HTC HD2 Leo, but after assembling the phone the volume button is not working. I am not sure if there can be something missing as I cannot feel the 'click' when it's pushed. (not sure if it was there before though)

As far as I remember the volume button consist of two parts: the printed circuit and the plastic button. Or is there maybe something that needs to be connected that I have missed?

Thanks for any hints
dismantle it again, it can be the plastic button its self, it acts like a spring under its own tension, when I re built mine the first time the lower button had stopped worked well, and it was simple because I hadn't put it back right, it was, and it looked right, but it wasn't quite right

htccraze
Old
Thanks Meter 128
I would a agree with dazza9075. Sometimes when putting the phone back together it may look right but sometimes its not. If i remember correctly there is a little spot it fits right into but you need to make sure it goes in in just the right way,
both on the top and the bottom. There is a complete how to guide to replace the lcd screen on the HD2. If i find it I will post the link. It may clear up just how you need to place the vol button back in place. Worse case you can always find a
cheap volume button for only a few dollars on ebay to see if maybe you broke this one when trying to replace the screen.
MAIN DEVICE: HTC ONE & HTC HD2
Other phones: MyTouch 4G Slide, MyTouch 3G slide
ROM: Unofficial CM10 HD2 [4.1.1][tytung_HWA_r3.3jb
Radio: 2.15/SPL-2.08/ MAGLDR 1.13/ CWM Touch beta

Small contribution to XDA:
Guide to try and revive a cell phone that has been submerged in water
Blue/grey icons

Tips & tricks to retain the longest battery life
If you feel I've helped out in anyway, a
small "thanks" would be appreciated.

fredbred
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hi, I did not manage to fix the button, but managed to get by without it.Till now. I was looking in google for a solution and found my own tread from ages ago...

Now, I would need to put the button together again. I looked into it and I guess I am missing a piece that the plastic button is supposed to be pushing. Before I order something, can anyone please confirm and possibly post a picture of what the button it should look like under the plastic part. Also if you know what the part I need is called, please let know. Please see below how my button "circuit" looks like.

Many thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120006.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	1734773   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120005.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	1734781  

Vesavoj
Old
Thanks Meter 107
This is what you should have bellow the button
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	For-Volume-Button-Contact-Chip-for-HTC-Desire-HD2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1738069  

fredbred
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesavoj View Post
This is what you should have bellow the button
Thanks for your response. I could not find the buttons separately and have therefore ordered the button ribbon for the 5 hw keys for under $3, which hopefully will be possible to dissemble and transfer. I would rather not buy the whole flex cable, where's the button is attached to, as this is quite expensive $20+.

I let you know if I was lucky. If you know where I can buy only the small pieces I am missing, please let me know.

A pic of what I ordered is attached fyi
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ribbon_hd2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	1745893  

yaro666
Old
Thanks Meter 51
i can confirm that you can use buttons from that tape, I've had the same situation, just pick up the circle button and add it to volume tape.

Mine was damaged during assembly, you have to be very carefoul

Mister B
Old
Thanks Meter 333
You can actually do lcd & digi removal & refit without need to remove flex ribbon completely thus keep the volume button & cables running to mainboard all in place and those small button caps are safe still wrapped in original tape & it all goes back together factory style ...
[DEVICE1] : [HD2] [EU late model, socket lcd & samsung nand]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699 Nov24]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x][CHT2.0.S2.5]
[RADIO] : [2.12.50.02_2]

[DEVICE2] : [Raphael] [sold]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x]
[RADIO] : [1.14.25.05 + RILPHONE.DLL]
[SOFTWARE] : [Mortscript] [MyMobiler] [CeRegEditor] [SkypeMobile] [FingerKBD Eng/Thai (WVGA)] [Thai Font/SIP] [IM+] [SPB-Backup]