Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,697 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

Tip us?
 
tiny4579
Old
#1081  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4022
Posts: 7,448
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane08 View Post
Well yea basically one reporter received information saying that it will be released 4pm UK time...which was 3 hours from that post...you can she that comment a page behind...

So basically Ubuntu is an android running a completely different skin ..just another advanced flavor of CM core...

I feel deceived lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
They're actually not quite correct. It's not simply a skin on top of Android. Check the /system/bin folder in the zip for confirmation. There's no dalvikvm or system_server which are essential parts of Android. Also there's no Android framework at all in here. It may have a lot of the familiar Android files in /system but that is because it made it easier to get the OS working on the phone natively. To be honest, do we even know if the build.prop is used?
The Following User Says Thank You to tiny4579 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Sdobron
Old
#1082  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 358
Posts: 2,062
Join Date: Sep 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5imp7y View Post
Here is what to expect for the developer preview. A buggy waste of time. As a lomg term (10 years) linux user i can say ubutnu is a huge waste of time. I have installed it a million times on a million different computers and more than half the instals failed or were full of errors or uninstalled your bootloader and didnt instal grub...? Just the other day i was testing out 12.10 for ****s and giggles. I installed it and everything went nice. A ton of driver errors but nothing i couldnt work through. Then about a month later i reinstal. I forget the reson but despite the fact that this was the same computer and same disc the instal was a huge waste of my time as it was unable to boot, after i worked around not having grub i had absolulty no drivers.

I cant wait for slackerware to make a mobile linux distro but until then im syeering clear on anything unbuntu.
Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app
Regardless of your 10 year Linux experience I think you're doing something wrong to have all those problems with Ubuntu. The last 4 releases have all been solid with only tweaking needed for my nvidia optimus laptop. Ubuntu is very stable on nearly all machines out of the box.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sdobron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
insane08
Old
#1083  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 151
Posts: 307
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5imp7y View Post
Here is what to expect for the developer preview. A buggy waste of time. As a lomg term (10 years) linux user i can say ubutnu is a huge waste of time. I have installed it a million times on a million different computers and more than half the instals failed or were full of errors or uninstalled your bootloader and didnt instal grub...? Just the other day i was testing out 12.10 for ****s and giggles. I installed it and everything went nice. A ton of driver errors but nothing i couldnt work through. Then about a month later i reinstal. I forget the reson but despite the fact that this was the same computer and same disc the instal was a huge waste of my time as it was unable to boot, after i worked around not having grub i had absolulty no drivers.

I cant wait for slackerware to make a mobile linux distro but until then im syeering clear on anything unbuntu.
Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app
If its going to be a "huge waste" of your time then don't do it...simple as that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insane08 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
eng.stk
Old
(Last edited by eng.stk; 21st February 2013 at 05:21 PM.)
#1084  
eng.stk's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6058
Posts: 1,966
Join Date: Mar 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Install Ubuntu the easy way

For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
2. Factory Reset
3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip (MD5: e4c9c5601019ec7ce24f43f317361982) and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (MD5: edd3c43909a6e73ac254b2673d40cc53) from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...ntal/mwc-demo/
4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee )
6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
7. Profit

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.





Device: Nexus 5 | Kernel: Code_Blue [dev] & Code_Blue L-preview [dev] | ROM: Purity [β tester]
If you like my work don't forget to hit Thanks, buy me a cup of coffee or a beer
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to eng.stk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
RayGarden
Old
#1085  
RayGarden's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 81
Posts: 446
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579 View Post
They're actually not quite correct. It's not simply a skin on top of Android. Check the /system/bin folder in the zip for confirmation. There's no dalvikvm or system_server which are essential parts of Android. Also there's no Android framework at all in here. It may have a lot of the familiar Android files in /system but that is because it made it easier to get the OS working on the phone natively. To be honest, do we even know if the build.prop is used?
Left- or Rightway....if you check the ubuntu.com website -> tab "Devices", you'll see 3 interesting topics:

1. Ubuntu on Tablets
2. Ubuntu on Phones
3. Ubunto for Android

Most likely, the 3rd one seems to be some kind of Skin / Launcher, based on an Android Environment. Isn't it?
Galaxy Note 3
Android KK 4.4.2
Stock ROM N9005XXUENA6
Rooted

Galaxy Gear
Stock

LG Nexus 4 GSM
Android 4.4.2
cm-11-20140104-SNAPSHOT-M2-mako

Galaxy Nexus GSM
Android 4.4.2
cm-11-20140104-SNAPSHOT-M2-maguro
 
jonezy8873
Old
#1086  
jonezy8873's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 107
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamworth
been reading this from the start and getting very excited to try it BUT i think i will wait until https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Instal...llInstructions tells me to do so.
 
eng.stk
Old
#1087  
eng.stk's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6058
Posts: 1,966
Join Date: Mar 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng.stk View Post
For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
2. Factory Reset
3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip from here: http://nexfiles.kjonigsen.net/ubuntu/
4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee )
6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
7. Profit

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
@Lesicnik1: Feel free to OP this





Device: Nexus 5 | Kernel: Code_Blue [dev] & Code_Blue L-preview [dev] | ROM: Purity [β tester]
If you like my work don't forget to hit Thanks, buy me a cup of coffee or a beer
The Following User Says Thank You to eng.stk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
corypaul
Old
#1088  
corypaul's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 715
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default Re: Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng.stk View Post
For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
2. Factory Reset
3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip from here: http://nexfiles.kjonigsen.net/ubuntu/
4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee )
6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
7. Profit

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
Any body tried this with cwm recovery??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
HTC Touch (XV6900)
 
billouetaudrey
Old
#1089  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 281
Posts: 1,659
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default Re: Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng.stk View Post
For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
2. Factory Reset
3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip from here: http://nexfiles.kjonigsen.net/ubuntu/
4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee )
6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
7. Profit

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
URL is down for me?

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer TF101 avec Tapatalk
 
josteink
Old
#1090  
josteink's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1438
Posts: 2,231
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oslo
Default Re: Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by billouetaudrey View Post
URL is down for me?

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer TF101 avec Tapatalk
The entire Internet is hammering my server. It gets slow.

Anyone: feel free to re mirror.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Enhanche your Android with sleeping kitties! Optionally restrain your device with the Android Straitjacket.

HTC One LTE - Unlocked, S-OFF with Google edition firmware
Nexus 7 (2013) "Razor" - Stock

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes