Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,126 Members 42,400 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Inject root in stock updates possible

Tip us?

hansonmi
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default Inject root in stock updates possible

Does anyone know if it is at all possible to inject root into the updates that are available from Asus's website? Like to download the full update from Asus website, extract the system image and put the SU binary in there and repack then run the update on the tablet? I know the SU binary for ICS works with the latest OTA update so logically i would think it to be possible... especially since there are root injected stock roms available for various phones that i own (ie. SGS III).

I just would think it would be easier to inject root into the stock downloaded updates and install them instead of having to always go back to ICS and re-root and stuff if the latest OTA fails like mine did, causing me to manually update which also wiped out my SU backup that Rootkeeper made...

If it is possible to make root injected updates, any tips on how to go about doing it and where the SU binary and other files need to be located in the image?

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
Why is it that the more technology advances to bring us forward, it seems that more and more people keep getting left behind?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Default Re: Inject root in stock updates possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansonmi View Post
Does anyone know if it is at all possible to inject root into the updates that are available from Asus's website?
It is possible, but you can't sign the modified package with the correct key, so you could only apply them to unlocked devices.

hx4700 Killer
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
It is possible, but you can't sign the modified package with the correct key, so you could only apply them to unlocked devices.
Yup, that whole signing thing is a bitch Great that it validates the Firmware you are installing... sucks for modders

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T

Asus Transformer Prime TF201 - Now in my daughtes hands

Former Devices: HTC One X 16GB, Nokia Lumia 900, Samsung Focus, Dell Venue Pro (for 2 weeks), Tilt 2, Fuze, Tilt, HP HX4700

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Can you kindly elaborate ? Are you referring to Unlocked Bootloaders or Network Unlocked phones ? Either way, won't APK Multi Tool be able to Sign the file ?

What I have is a device with Locked Bootloader and no Network lock (to my knowledge). I have its Stock update.zip that I'd like to inject Root into.

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Default Re: Inject root in stock updates possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Can you kindly elaborate ? Are you referring to Unlocked Bootloaders or Network Unlocked phones ? Either way, won't APK Multi Tool be able to Sign the file ?

What I have is a device with Locked Bootloader and no Network lock (to my knowledge). I have its Stock update.zip that I'd like to inject Root into.
You need an unlocked bootloader. The locked bootloader checks for the Asus digital signature - so any signing tool would help you only if you somehow obtain Asus' private key.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You need an unlocked bootloader. The locked bootloader checks for the Asus digital signature - so any signing tool would help you only if you somehow obtain Asus' private key.
Ah! I see. In my Case I don't have ASUS Transformer. Rather I have Smartstick. I believe Its bootloader does not do this Check. So I should be ok inserting su binary into /system/bin with correct compression.

Question though, other than Inserting SU Binary and SuperSU in /System/app, is there anything else I need to be doing in order to Root my Stock Rom ?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
Ah! I see. In my Case I don't have ASUS Transformer.
This is the TF700 forum.

Quote:
So I should be ok inserting su binary into /system/bin with correct compression.

Question though, other than Inserting SU Binary and SuperSU in /System/app, is there anything else I need to be doing in order to Root my Stock Rom ?
If your device supports flashing of unsigned ROM images, then that's it - you only need the su binary with the correct permissions (with the SUID bit set) and SuperSU - in whatever format your device accepts ROM images. But that's off topic here.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
This is the TF700 forum.
Yes I know. My device is Orphan! There's no forum for it....

Quote:
If your device supports flashing of unsigned ROM images, then that's it - you only need the su binary with the correct permissions (with the SUID bit set) and SuperSU - in whatever format your device accepts ROM images. But that's off topic here.
What is
"SUID Bit Set"
Please ?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
Yes I know. My device is Orphan! There's no forum for it....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2070

Quote:
What is
"SUID Bit Set"
Please ?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=suid+bit

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3349

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for pointing that out. Although I knew about it, IMHO its a Zoo of Noob Central.
I am trying to Build a ROM on my own for a device launched in November Last Year. So my question on that forum will most likely not get Developer's attention.

Quote:
Yeah I guess I deserved that. My apologies.