HTC One and Jelly Bean

Search This thread

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
I wonder what HTC's plans will be for upgrading to 4.2+

Sony said the Xperia Z will be upgrading shortly after release.. I hope HTC keep pace with them and other manufacturers.

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
Plus 4.2 gets Photosphere, Gesture Typing, Lock screen widgets etc etc...

It's not to much the 'nothing to fret' about.. it's knowing that HTC will keep up to date with .. updates lol

I think they want things to change in 2013 though so maybe they will :)

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington
Htc has a smaller company than most so it's not as easy to direct resources to updates but I'm sure they will.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Plus 4.2 gets Photosphere, Gesture Typing, Lock screen widgets etc etc...

It's not to much the 'nothing to fret' about.. it's knowing that HTC will keep up to date with .. updates lol

I think they want things to change in 2013 though so maybe they will :)

Photosphere is an AOSP feature on which even if HTC upgrades to 4.2 it still won't be available. Gesture typing is already existing on HTC keyboards since 2011 I think. Lockscreen widgets is an AOSP feature also and won't come to HTC since HTC uses a sense lockscreen.

So yeah 4.2 is pretty much useless unless you're using AOSP.

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
Photosphere is an AOSP feature on which even if HTC upgrades to 4.2 it still won't be available. Gesture typing is already existing on HTC keyboards since 2011 I think. Lockscreen widgets is an AOSP feature also and won't come to HTC since HTC uses a sense lockscreen.

So yeah 4.2 is pretty much useless unless you're using AOSP.

That's fair enough then :D Don't google release the source code etc to HTC/Sony/Samsung etc... and they then just tweak the functions to work with their phones? I thought that's how it worked :(

optic driver

Jan 17, 2013
Seattle
been waiting 7 months since HTC stated that the One X would be getting JB, and still no light at the end of that tunnel. Pretty sure when they unveiled the One X last year they were going to update software more often, but two new "flagship" phones released since then and still no update. Do not buy HTC thinking they will update to new android versions. They do make great hardware, so root and have a great device.

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
been waiting 7 months since HTC stated that the One X would be getting JB, and still no light at the end of that tunnel. Pretty sure when they unveiled the One X last year they were going to update software more often, but two new "flagship" phones released since then and still no update. Do not buy HTC thinking they will update to new android versions. They do make great hardware, so root and have a great device.

? We got 4.1.1 by now, which is JellyBean. If you don't have your update yet on your carrier, that's probably not HTCs fault.

Yet I agree it took them a bit long to release it. And yes, keep in mind that HTC is a rather small company, unlike Samsung. Let's just hope that they are a bit more conservative with phone releases this year - and I'm rather hopeful as the One was the only phone they introduced at the event (unlike 3 phones last time). More will follow for sure, nobody should doubt that and that's not a bad thing. Just please not 3 versions of the same phone etc., that'd be great.

optic driver

Jan 17, 2013
Seattle
? We got 4.1.1 by now, which is JellyBean. If you don't have your update yet on your carrier, that's probably not HTCs fault.

Yet I agree it took them a bit long to release it. And yes, keep in mind that HTC is a rather small company, unlike Samsung. Let's just hope that they are a bit more conservative with phone releases this year - and I'm rather hopeful as the One was the only phone they introduced at the event (unlike 3 phones last time). More will follow for sure, nobody should doubt that and that's not a bad thing. Just please not 3 versions of the same phone etc., that'd be great.

Carrier is ATT (only carier in the US that offered the One X), which I have no doubt shares some of the blame. But honestly, a few months after telling their customers that the ATT version of the One X would get 4.1, they release the One X+ on ATT with 4.1, now here comes yet another HTC phone with 4.1. For such a small company, they sure pop out a ton of hardware. (Since the release of the Galaxy SIII, how many "Flagship" devices has Samsung released?) That all just goes to my point, dont buy an HTC phone assuming they will update to a new version of Android in a timely manner if at all.

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
HTC's problem for updates I guess stems from the fact they make so damn many!!

If they keep their line up simple for 2013 it will be more manageable, 1-2 low end, 1-2 mid range, 1 flagship. Who needs to release a phone every other month, it's insane lol

For example:

On the UK site HTC have the following

• HTC One
  • HTC One SV
  • HTC One X+
  • HTC Desire X
  • HTC 8X
  • HTC 8S
  • HTC Desire C
  • HTC One X
  • HTC One XL
  • HTC One S
  • HTC One V

Reactions: slainbybeats

Dannyada1988

Feb 20, 2013
Maybe it will quick updated to Android 4.2, but I think the time is at least after the release of Android 5.0.

mgymnop

Jan 17, 2010
San Diego
They won't update the HTC One. They will release the HTC One+ in 3 months anyway with JB 4.2.2 ;)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

NiCk.JaY

Nov 23, 2012
Clearly stated at gsmarena.com that it is upgradable to 4.2.2

uploadfromtaptalk1361509628353.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

mnshzz

Dec 4, 2011
One X got JB OTA months back, late Nov if I recall correctly, and I am in India where it comes after a few weeks of official live date.

If you bought a locked one X then HTC are not to be blamed, they promised 4.1.1 which they delivered.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
Suprised they didnt ship it with 4.2.1 atleast since its been out for a while now. Plus they probably received jellybean 4.2 months ago since google sends out the software months before its released.. But i guess it was buggy just my guess, so they used 4.1.2 .

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington

If they keep their line up simple for 2013 it will be more manageable, 1-2 low end, 1-2 mid range, 1 flagship. Who needs to release a phone every other month, it's insane lol

For example:

• HTC One
  • HTC One SV
  • HTC One X+
  • HTC Desire X
  • HTC 8X
  • HTC 8S
  • HTC Desire C
  • HTC One X
  • HTC One XL
  • HTC One S
  • HTC One V

Well samsung released

• Galaxy s advanced
  • Samsung galaxy pop plus
  • samsung galaxy mini 2
  • samsung galaxy ace 2
  • samsung galaxy beam
  • samsung galaxy pocket
  • galaxy s3 inclduding us variants
  • galaxy ace advance
  • galaxy chat
  • galaxy note 2
  • galaxy s3 lte
  • galaxy note 2 lte
  • galaxy s3 mini
  • samsung galaxy premier
  • samsung galaxy grand

There are more that were released in the US running android and under the galaxy range. Doesnt matter about releasing loads of devices as much, they just need to keep the emphasis on the flagships.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For example:

• HTC One
    • HTC One SV
    • HTC One X+
    • HTC Desire X
    • HTC 8X
    • HTC 8S
    • HTC Desire C
    • HTC One X
    • HTC One XL
    • HTC One S