Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,383 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

{Answers} 2.20 Root Questions & Answers

Tip us?

DC_Superfan21
Old
(Last edited by DC_Superfan21; 9th March 2013 at 12:57 PM.) Reason: learned to read
Thanks Meter 0
deleted

hero913
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarudroid View Post
Its not all that bad... Lol. Most custom ROMs have there own kernel's and radio built in so no worries there. You on the right track. We have s-off now also bonus! But starting with unlocking and if you have Hboot 1.14 you'll want to downgrade you Hboot with jet. Ah ya.... know I'm down to chat on gtalk if you pm me I'll set you up.

Sent from my HOX w/CM10.1
Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!

I wish there was a thanks amplifier for this guy!!

Seriously mods, you guys should award him something. Josh let me bug him all day long, put up with my dumb ass and kept helping me without a complaint!!!

An amazing forum with truly amazing members!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to hero913 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

subarudroid
Old
Thanks Meter 660

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: {Answers} 2.20 Root Questions & Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iElvis View Post
No need to downgrade hboot now that we have s-off. Numerous people have confirmed that s-off removes the kernel flashing issue with 2.2x and later.
That's awesome!

Sent from my HOX w/CM10.1
Hit the thanks if I've helped, or maybe if made you laugh. I cannot be responsible for any damages to you for listening to me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subarudroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nicxxxe
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 2
Default Re: {Answers} 2.20 Root Questions & Answers

Use the x factor step by step then get your unlock token from htc.dev then download HTC evita tool kit then paste your unlock token in data folder of the evita tool kit then follow steps on tool kit easy as pie

Opppum noob style

Sent from my HTC One X rooted & unlocked easy by a noob

angramenyu
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Stuck on HTC logo with red letters after trying to restore the original at&t rom from a backup I made earlier.

a box of kittens
Old
Thanks Meter 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by angramenyu View Post
Stuck on HTC logo with red letters after trying to restore the original at&t rom from a backup I made earlier.
If you're s on hboot 1.14 you have to flash the boot.img of the back up or flash a kernel that's compatible with that backup

ravenbrand
Old
(Last edited by ravenbrand; 3rd March 2013 at 12:58 PM.) Reason: A good night's sleep
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stuck in boot screen loop

It was seeming to be such a good day. I ran the X_Factor exploit and had the phone rooted. I flashed TWRP recovery. I installed Super SU. I downloaded Titanium Back Up (with the Key that I purchased with my last rooted phone). Then I wanted to flash the AOKP ROM with gapps. Went through the steps described in this thread. After mounting the sd card so I could move the ROM and gapps to the phone. I couldn't unmount, saying a program was still using the drive/device. I closed all open programs and still got an error message. Shut down the PC completely (probably the wrong thing to do). Then I was in TWRP recovery and ran the factory reset under wipe. And flashed the ROM with gapps through the recovery program. Now it's stuck in a loop of the HTC boot screen (which shows the warning about it being a build for development purposes only). It goes off for 30 seconds then comes back on for maybe 30 seconds. I plugged it in to the PC to see if there were any hope of recognizing it in adb or fastboot (no) and it kept trying to install drivers for the new hardware.

Any chance of getting this back into operational mode. This guide was very helpful and I read everything. A user mentioned a similar problem around page six of the thread. He was told to hold down the power button and the volume down button to get to fastboot. That doesn't work. That has never worked for me. When I hold the buttons down the arrow, home, and recent apps buttons start flashing, but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance,
RB

EDIT: I was able to get adb to recognize the phone this morning. It wasn't turning on, so I plugged it in. The PC tried loading drivers for it, so I checked if it was in the adb devices list. It was and I was able to reboot into the bootloader and then switched to recovery. Now I'm scared to do anything. I have to let it charge back up (battery was down to 3%) but then I'm not sure if I should restore from my back-up or try to reflash the AOKP ROM

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenbrand View Post
A user mentioned a similar problem around page six of the thread. He was told to hold down the power button and the volume down button to get to fastboot. That doesn't work. That has never worked for me. When I hold the buttons down the arrow, home, and recent apps buttons start flashing, but nothing happens.
Not being able to get into hboot/bootloader is virtually always a matter of the user just not performing the button sequence incorrectly. People always just say "hold power and volume down", but that's really an incomplete description. If the phone is in a bootloop, or stuck "on", the best way is:

Hold power and volume down for a few seconds (about 5 sec) until the capacitive buttons flash, and keep holding. The phone will power off. Once the screen is black, release the power button (keep holding volume down) then press power button for 3 seconds and release. Keep holding volume down (shouldn't have release it at any point in the sequence so far) until the white hboot screen comes up.

This should work every time. From the hboot screen, you can go into fastboot mode, or boot into recovery.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Sounds like your original problem, is you just forgot to flash boot.img when you flashed the ROM.

What hboot version?
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ravenbrand
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Hold power and volume down for a few seconds (about 5 sec) until the capacitive buttons flash, and keep holding. The phone will power off. Once the screen is black, release the power button (keep holding volume down) then press power button for 3 seconds and release. Keep holding volume down (shouldn't have release it at any point in the sequence so far) until the white hboot screen comes up.
Thanks, the videos I had seen that demonstrate it (on non-AT&T versions, I'm sure) make it look simpler. If I need to try again, I'll use your better instructions. I have it in recovery now.

Quote:
Sounds like your original problem, is you just forgot to flash boot.img when you flashed the ROM.

What hboot version?
I thought I had flashed the boot.img. I used the fastboot flash boot boot.img command with the boot.img extracted from the AOKP ROM. Hboot on my phone is 1.14.0002. Does that help?
Thanks again,
RB

ravenbrand
Old
(Last edited by ravenbrand; 5th March 2013 at 02:59 AM.) Reason: Temporary stupidity
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenbrand View Post
I thought I had flashed the boot.img. I used the fastboot flash boot boot.img command with the boot.img extracted from the AOKP ROM.
I tried flashing the boot.img file again. This is what happened, which I'm fairly certain means I did it correctly:
Quote:
C:\X_Factor_Windows>fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (5300 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
I put the ROM.zip file and the gapps.zip file on the phone's storage. I wiped dalvik cache, system, and factory reset. I chose the ROM.zip and gapps.zip files to install. The feedback from the phone said the install was successful. When I went to reboot into the system, Recovery said that the phone did not appear to be rooted. Recovery asked if I wanted to install SuperSU now. I tried that and it said it failed to copy SU binary to system/bin.

One question I can't find a clear answer for is, should the ROM.zip file not have boot.img in it anymore. Should I unzip the file, take boot.img out, rezip the file, then move that to the phone and install that version?

Thanks for the continuing help,
RB