[Q] Use Nexus Q as an external amplifier?

OP splitpea

23rd February 2013, 12:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
My Nexus Q is slowly collecting dust on my entertainment center. It looks pretty, but being limited to Google Play or YouTube content only just bites. I've already got an iOS device and a receiver that supports Airplay (which quite frankly works much more reliably), so I don't have a reason to leave it plugged in beyond the novelty of it.

What I'd love to do, however, is use for the "audiophile quality" amp it supposedly has in another room with some vintage Bose 301 speakers I have and my desktop PC. Is there any way to get audio in on this thing? It's got optical audio out, would installing CM10 allow me to change that port to optical input instead? Or how about USB, would any hack or rom allow me to plug it into my PC and use it as a USB-Audio device?
25th February 2013, 06:02 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 29

193 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpea

My Nexus Q is slowly collecting dust on my entertainment center. It looks pretty, but being limited to Google Play or YouTube content only just bites. I've already got an iOS device and a receiver that supports Airplay (which quite frankly works much more reliably), so I don't have a reason to leave it plugged in beyond the novelty of it.

What I'd love to do, however, is use for the "audiophile quality" amp it supposedly has in another room with some vintage Bose 301 speakers I have and my desktop PC. Is there any way to get audio in on this thing? It's got optical audio out, would installing CM10 allow me to change that port to optical input instead? Or how about USB, would any hack or rom allow me to plug it into my PC and use it as a USB-Audio device?

The only thing I could think of would be an app that makes it a Bluetooth audio reciever. But it doesn't appear to have one. Last I tried cm10.1 the amp didn't work. Just HDMI. You could sell it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread