Ask a question

No registration required

Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10

OP dalingrin

19th February 2013, 05:51 PM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 1,464

2,812 posts
More
I'll give it a whirl on the 21st but expecting disappointment. Everything I'm supposed to hate I end up liking and everything I'm supposed to like I end up hating.

Their mythology is sound. What you do on the phone or tablet you can also do on the PC.. How all that actually comes out we'll see.

I'm fully expecting a xorg and kernel update to break my tablet video drivers and boot me to just a purple screen within two days though.

Edit:

It's bloated right out of the box..

Last edited by styckx; 19th February 2013 at 05:59 PM.
19th February 2013, 06:56 PM   |  #42  
Thanks Meter: 246

2,152 posts
Re: Linux(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) on the Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalingrin

Fantastic news. I'm really glad I didn't go through with porting Linux to the Nexus 10 =)

Now we need two things:
-Boot manager to dual boot Android and Ubuntu
-Android app compatibility

My guess is Android app compatibility will be difficult for the community to make but we should be able to make a boot manager/bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I agree and am super excited! I hope, as you mentioned, that a dual boot install is created. If you end up endeavoring to do it yourself I would be happy to test.

19th February 2013, 07:00 PM   |  #43  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,763

1,419 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx

I'll give it a whirl on the 21st but expecting disappointment. Everything I'm supposed to hate I end up liking and everything I'm supposed to like I end up hating.

Their mythology is sound. What you do on the phone or tablet you can also do on the PC.. How all that actually comes out we'll see.

I'm fully expecting a xorg and kernel update to break my tablet video drivers and boot me to just a purple screen within two days though.

Edit:

If there were no challenges to using GNU Linux stack on slow embedded devices then there wouldn't have been any reason for Google to make Android in the first place.

19th February 2013, 07:23 PM   |  #44  
Thanks Meter: 229

786 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx

Edit:

Wow... no desktop mode on dual-core A15s? That ruins much of the excitement I had about trying it out... I'm really hoping that information is wrong. At least being open source it should be easy to fix, and if its just too heavy then worst case scenario swap Unity for LXDE.
19th February 2013, 07:55 PM   |  #45  
Thanks Meter: 1,464

2,812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun

Wow... no desktop mode on dual-core A15s? That ruins much of the excitement I had about trying it out... I'm really hoping that information is wrong. At least being open source it should be easy to fix, and if its just too heavy then worst case scenario swap Unity for LXDE.

I prefer Mate myself but LXDE would do the trick also.. Or worse comes to worse Openbox..
20th February 2013, 03:45 AM   |  #46  
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 5

79 posts
More
Wow, never been a big Ubuntu fan, always enjoyed Suse/OpenSuse but I do really like the look of that Ubuntu for tablets
21st February 2013, 06:45 PM   |  #47  
Thanks Meter: 246

2,152 posts
Developer preview suppose to be released today but I haven't been able to find anything yet.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Well looks like this is it. May give it a go this afternoon. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

23rd February 2013, 01:04 AM   |  #48  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Has any progress been made on running some form of desktop linux on the nexus 10? Is it possible we could modify the Ubuntu Touch release to run a more standard desktop environment?

I'd love to use my 10 with keyboard/mouse as a portable development environment but the utilities available in android just don't cut it.
23rd February 2013, 09:59 AM   |  #49  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,763

1,419 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonguard

Has any progress been made on running some form of desktop linux on the nexus 10? Is it possible we could modify the Ubuntu Touch release to run a more standard desktop environment?

I'd love to use my 10 with keyboard/mouse as a portable development environment but the utilities available in android just don't cut it.

I doubt the touch release will help since it relies on CyanogenMod 10.1 for bring up and doesn't use X11.

26th March 2013, 08:29 AM   |  #50  
NRH, TX.
Thanks Meter: 394

306 posts
More
Try this you guys..

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live...rmhf+omap4.img Though it says omap4, it worked on my qualcomm (touchpad).

Use that as a Root FileSystem..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2146089

There is also a 12 and 11.10 thread.

Take a look at the kernel configs we use. And our ramdisk. You will need to use uimage-extract from moboot to seperate the kernel and ramdisk from uImage.

Look at the configs.. Ubuntu needs V4L stuff for the kernel. Look at the init in the ramdisk. Change them to work for the Nexus 10.

Good luck! Feel free to look at the touchpad rootfs.. We don't run Unity.... Though.. I should try to recompile the latest freedreno stuff.

It should at least boot.. Ours does for moboot and the touchpad. We had to alter xorg and stuff for video.. You can also create a ram console kernel. This is nice, as you can adb into ubuntu without installing adb as it's built into the kernel. Rob Clark from Freedreno taught me that.

Peace!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI5Mzg
Something to read:
Anyhow, Ubuntu 13.04 will improve support for this latest ARM Chromebook to run Google's OS. The Ubuntu 13.04 repository just received ARM's new universal X.Org graphics driver, a.k.a. the xf86-video-armsoc DDX. This is a generic ARM SoC DDX driver for the X.Org Server originally derived from the xf86-video-omap driver.

Other then that, there seem to be only 2 open source gpu drivers other then xf86-video-armsoc... lima and freedreno.
Last edited by jshafer817; 26th March 2013 at 08:40 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread