Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire HD losing root access - retry

Tip us?

miztah1999z
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuggel View Post
I followed what you had said, d/l from the app store and moving it. When I was in settings it had a message in red about going to recently used apps and removing other loaders listed. I will check when I get home and see if it is still there.
Ok. I will rephrase what I said. Delete "com.anddoes.xxxx(I forgot but it starts with that) from data/app, if its there. Then delete from system/app (it should be there, either as Apex Launcher or com.anddoes) .Then reboot, and install apex from play store. Then find it in DATA/APP and MOVE IT to SYSTEM/APP. Change properties to User: Read Write Group: RW Other: RW. Then you can reboot your Kindle. Then it should say "Kindle is upgrading, and then choose which launcher you want.

Zuggel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
So to save some time, I neglected to disable auto updates and lost root again. This time I would like to restore the Kindle to the factory settings and i'm not really sure what to do. miztah1999z mentioned that if I just reset to factory defaults, when I reroot it, which I plan on doing, it will just brick so I wanted to make sure.

I don't want to just reroot it because it freezing up occasionally and I have to reboot it by holding the power button until it turns off, at which point it will work fine until it does it again.