Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 40,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Working Gmail - KFHD 7"

Tip us?

Gilly10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildread View Post
Sorry for the late response. I'm on 7.2.3. But for some reason it works fine. I'm thinking I have an older framework? That might be why?

I'm trying to find a topic on finding out the current version of the framework, as I know I need to update it, but can't find a playstore topic

Sent from my KF-HD7
I think the latest version that can be installed is GoogleServicesFramework_4.0.4-338691, that what I'm using anyway.

Which version have you got?

evildread
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly10 View Post
I think the latest version that can be installed is GoogleServicesFramework_4.0.4-338691, that what I'm using anyway.

Which version have you got?
I don't know. Idk how to check what version I have =/

Sent from my KF-HD7

Gilly10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildread View Post
I don't know. Idk how to check what version I have =/

Sent from my KF-HD7
Settings > Applications > Installed App. > Scroll to find Google Services Framework, tap to find the version no.

evildread
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly10 View Post
Settings > Applications > Installed App. > Scroll to find Google Services Framework, tap to find the version no.
v2.2.1 lol

Sent from my KF-HD7

Gilly10
Old
(Last edited by Gilly10; 27th February 2013 at 04:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 154
Delete - Spoke too soon, still buggy

psych0phobia
Old
(Last edited by psych0phobia; 28th February 2013 at 07:59 PM.) Reason: grammar
Thanks Meter 406

DONATE TO ME
Hello - just figured I'd throw this here to get it out in the world.

The Gmail notification crash bug is a bug in the Kindle's OS, not a Google bug. The problem is in the framework, android/text/style/TextAppearanceSpan.java:

Code:
    @Override
    public void updateDrawState(TextPaint ds) {
        updateMeasureState(ds);

if (mTextColor != null) {
            ds.setColor(mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0));
        }

if (mTextColorLink != null) {
            ds.linkColor = mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0);
        }
    }
Competent programmers should be able to spot the potential Null Pointer Exception in the above code. We are lucky that Gmail is the only app thus far that seems to hit the above code, as this really is a global OS problem.

Unfortunately, fixing this requires one of three things - a deodexed ROM that can patch the framework (like Kinology), an Amazon update to the OS with a correction, or a patched or older version of Gmail that doesn't call the method above.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psych0phobia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gilly10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0phobia View Post
Hello - just figured I'd throw this here to get it out in the world.

The Gmail notification crash bug is a bug in the Kindle's OS, not a Google bug. The problem is in the framework, android/text/style/TextAppearanceSpan.java:

<SNIP>

Competent programmers should be able to spot the potential Null Pointer Exception in the above code. We are lucky that Gmail is the only app thus far that seems to hit the above code, as this really is a global OS problem.

Unfortunately, fixing this requires one of three things - a deodexed ROM that can patch the framework (like Kinology), an Amazon update to the OS with a correction, or a patched or older version of Gmail that doesn't call the method above.
Thanks for explaining it, thought it was a GoogleServicesFramework bug hence why I thought the newer version I located fixed the issue, back to using Gmail 4.0.5 now as that's the latest fully working version on the KFHD, it does it's job, hope Amazon can fix it but I wouldn't hold your breath just yet but again they may surprise us.