Keep your n10 away from ants

Search This thread

irishrally

Jun 13, 2009
California
Ants are badass, ridiculously strong, and he probably just wiggled his way under/through whatever low pressure gasket/seal is in place for dust. This device is not air tight by any definition. He just wanted to get to the sweet candy jelly beans inside.

Ant penetration resistance should be added to every device spec and properly tested.
Youtube: "Xperia Z Official Ant Testing". "The Xperia Z is water resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes, and ant resistant up to 150 ants for 45 minutes. Results may vary with ant species and water purity."

Samzebian

May 22, 2010
Westfield
Ants are badass, ridiculously strong, and he probably just wiggled his way under/through whatever low pressure gasket/seal is in place for dust. This device is not air tight by any definition. He just wanted to get to the sweet candy jelly beans inside.

Ant penetration resistance should be added to every device spec and properly tested.
Youtube: "Xperia Z Official Ant Testing". "The Xperia Z is water resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes, and ant resistant up to 150 ants for 45 minutes. Results may vary with ant species and water purity."

thought you were totally serious

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011

I completely agree with you.

And I laughed way more than I should have.

tcb4

Dec 25, 2011
I started another thread on this where after receiving my replacement nexus 10 I gave it a thorough inspection and I did not find any dust. After leaving it in a bag for a couple of days I find a small, almost invisible hair that I am 99% certain was not there when I received it. Normally I would accept that I may have just missed it, but it I looked this thing over for quite a long while before I gave it the ok. I'm debating whether or not to send it into samsung because I fear this same thing could happen again, or I could receive a unit with horrendous light bleed or more dust, as both seem pretty common. However I thought I read somewhere that these screens were sealed and the glass could not be separated from the display? Perhaps the glass and the display are fused to the frame, but not to each other or the seal is not the best.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Shine a really bright light on the screen and turn your device on an extreme angle so that you're almost looking at its side, but you can still see the screen. Is it me or can you see Foam bonding it? I don't think you would be able to make that out if the glass rested directly on the display. You can see it in the picture below. It's the light gray line.
hOuLR.jpg

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011
I started another thread on this where after receiving my replacement nexus 10 I gave it a thorough inspection and I did not find any dust. After leaving it in a bag for a couple of days I find a small, almost invisible hair that I am 99% certain was not there when I received it. Normally I would accept that I may have just missed it, but it I looked this thing over for quite a long while before I gave it the ok. I'm debating whether or not to send it into samsung because I fear this same thing could happen again, or I could receive a unit with horrendous light bleed or more dust, as both seem pretty common. However I thought I read somewhere that these screens were sealed and the glass could not be separated from the display? Perhaps the glass and the display are fused to the frame, but not to each other or the seal is not the best.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Shine a really bright light on the screen and turn your device on an extreme angle so that you're almost looking at its side, but you can still see the screen. Is it me or can you see Foam bonding it? I don't think you would be able to make that out if the glass rested directly on the display. You can see it in the picture below. It's the light gray line.
hOuLR.jpg

Well clean your screen first because we can't figure out what we are seeing.;)

Monotoko

Dec 29, 2012
I'm very very sorry OP, I have one of those ****ing lightning bugs in my LCD display, crawled in there and died just a few months after I got it and Samsung refused to replace it :( hopefully you have more luck with either Google or Samsung.

mchahn

Mar 14, 2008
Is it a software bug?

Years ago there was a piece of software you could sneak onto someone's PC and a tiny ant would crawl around. The damn thing looked so real. It was amazing. Drove people crazy.

ntn_labs

May 1, 2010
Orava
www.ntnlabs.sk
God ****ing damn it, the damn ant was hiding and I come back to find it dead in the middle of my screen.

And no, there isn't any dust under the screen, I don't know how this POS got in there.

Well, You should return Your unit now that Your machinist has died. Trust me, there is a machinist in every Google Unit. They make sure all the HW is working properly and they are allowed to fix small HW issues.

For anything bigger, they have to report to Google first. Of course.

Anyway, as I said, Yours is dead and You need a new unit. Or maybe You could ask Google to send You only the mechanic, but that would be the first time, they rarely do that. They are afraid You will put the HW machinist in a different device and he would then rebuild that device to be a Google one (like iPad device rebuild to be a Nexus device).

ant178

Feb 20, 2013
Please post what samsung says about replacing it. I just ordered this tablet and plan on cancelling if samsung doesn't replace your tablet

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011
Please post what samsung says about replacing it. I just ordered this tablet and plan on cancelling if samsung doesn't replace your tablet

I'll have to wait until my uncle goes back to the US, he should be going in about 2 to 3 weeks, sadly, there's nothing I can do until then.

bee55

May 11, 2010
hOuLR.jpg

Yep I have those on both sides as well; don't even need a light to be able to see them at a large angle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I just moved my n10 away from my ant farm.

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

The ants are magical

Mabey it got in at the factory as an egg, and hatched inside the device

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    Don't laugh, in December I thought "damn that's bad, I don't think that will happen to me" when I saw a similar thread and now look at this...:(:mad:

And if Samsung doesn't want to cover it I can use my back flex as an excuse to force them to do so... Right?
    I woke up this morning and there is a damn ant walking under my screen, it better doesn't die in a visible place, I'll try using sugar to lure it out, but anyways keep your device away from these damn ****s.

Edit: OK guys for now I think that I managed to crush it under one of the corners by applying pressure as soon as it left the screen, but you wouldn't want to wake up to a dead ant in the middle of your screen.