Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,079 Members 54,427 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Too good to be true? We'll see.

Tip us?

jtkemp101010
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Default Too good to be true? We'll see.

So I have a plan to water-proof my GS3 with ZERO bulk (okay maybe like 1%)

I'm sure if you've Googled anything having to do with waterproofing your GS3, you've seen this: http://www.iottie.com/Product/Produc...roductType=320

In theory, it seems like a great idea. Until you realize that you have no way to charge your phone or plug in earbuds.

A couple weeks after I saw that product, I came across this article: http://m.webosnation.com/galaxy-s3-g...hstone-mod-yet

Now if you see where I'm going with this, you're probably thinking "Well that solves the charging problem, but what about the headphone jack?"

After about 10 minutes of research I found this: http://www.jabra.com/products/blueto.../jabra_clipper

Unfortunately this blows the $80 budget of a waterproof case.

So instead, I just found a refurbished pair of blue tooth headphones for $35 on ebay. (I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BH...ag=chescifi-20)

So the idea is to combine these products (Jabra clipper is optional) and have a waterproofed phone. Is this idea too good to be true? I have ordered all of the items. I will post a video showing my results when I have received the items.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Speedin07si
Old
Thanks Meter 1,085
Default Re: Too good to be true? We'll see.

Sorry anything that comes with leak detectors and even flat out says its not made to be permanent i wouldn't trust.

Sent from a planet far far away.
Experimentation remains the best catalyst for progression.

jtkemp101010
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedin07si View Post
Sorry anything that comes with leak detectors and even flat out says its not made to be permanent i wouldn't trust.

Sent from a planet far far away.
Although it says that it isn't meant to be permanent, it implies that that is only because it does not allow charging. Either way, I've bought the items. My point of view is that if the waterproofing isn't successful, at least I have some badass accessories now right?

The Root
Old
(Last edited by The Root; 20th February 2013 at 03:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,897
It says reusable. That means they intend you take it off sometime. The 5 sealing tapes are probably for wear and tear leaks but maybe they could be used for "panels" to cover those holes but I really think this is a temporary skin for if you're going out in a wet environment.
Before blaming the dev consider that it might have been you. They probably know more and make fewer mistakes.

SGS4
Insane Kit Kat

jpatel56
Old
Thanks Meter 1
hows it working for you?

jtkemp101010
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME

So far, the "case" itself is literally the only part of this experiment that has not shipped yet. Please be patient for a video on my results. I'm going to try to go as long as I can with one package worth of material. I'd say I can make it last 1-2 months. I don't plan on much submersion except maybe for a quick test.

xblackvalorx
Old
Thanks Meter 312

https://www.liquipel.com/
I had these guys do my phone.
I can take pictures underwater

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

jtkemp101010
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME

The idea seems great, but it would worry me a bit. Not to mention the fact that devices that were not built to be waterproof can get water trapped in non air tight areas. At CES they had a liquipelled Tab 2 that got water trapped between the glass and the display. Not fun. This technology is used more for accidental exposure to moisture.

bootny
Old
Thanks Meter 10

He says he can take pics underwater and still say that you think it's not a good idea bc a tablet(that isn't built like a phone) got water under the screen... That means tablet wasn't sealed properly no?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

jtkemp101010
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME

Technology that was not designed to be waterproof may not play nice with that. I'm not saying that nothing will work with it, I'm just saying that it may not be the best idea in all cases.