XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Thanks?

Tip us?

Azurael
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
Default Thanks?

Am I the only one who thinks the whole thanks system on this site is just a massive popularity contest, I routinely see massive bold signatures in every section 'If I helped, press the thanks button' - yeah, I would have done before I read that, douche.

Sorry, it annoys me because I just don't understand what it's meant to prove or why people are allowed to 'beg' for thanks. If somebody makes a useful contribution, sure, give them some credit if they helped out... But people who also reply asking for thanks if they post a response to a question just annoy me. You'll be given it if you deserve it,
Current:
LG D802 - SlimKat | Asus Grouper - SlimKat-F2FS | Samsung i9100P - SlimKat/Dorimanx | HTC Vision - Flinny CM11

Past:
LG Mako (Given away!) | HTC EndeavorU (eMMC Corruption Brick) | Barnes & Noble Ovation - (LCD Stopped working) | Motorola Olympus (Cooked itself) | HTC Bravo (Sold) | HTC Dream (Retired) | Apple iPhone 2G (Retired as a music player) | HTC Hermes (Touchscreen dead)

Free RAM is wasted RAM, foo!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Azurael For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nigeldg
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1077
Generally only new users have large sigs with 'press thanks if I helped' in them. Most people who've been here a while know that thanks mean nothing and don't bother with that stuff. There's not much you can really do about it I guess.
Primary device: Nexus 4 running Paranoidandroid
Ultimate Nexus 4 Root guide

Secondary device: HTC HD2 running NexusHD2 JB
How to be a new user, and not a noob - Some people REALLY need to read this!
How to flash an HD2 with NAND Android
A guide to all of the terms for the HD2
Android 4.2 keyboard and Camera!

stamatis
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 960
You are right the whole obssesion for the thanks meter is disturbing, but look who is begging all the time for thanks!, i don't see any serious developer even care about thanks. In the other hand this make people making helpful posts and helping people even if they do it just for thanks.

Quote:
'If I helped, press the thanks button'
Everybody sees this message at least 4 times when visiting xda.The best thing to do is to ignore it

manoranjan2050
Old
Thanks Meter 1326

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatis View Post
You are right the whole obssesion for the thanks meter is disturbing, but look who is begging all the time for thanks!, i don't see any serious developer even care about thanks. In the other hand this make people making helpful posts and helping people even if they do it just for thanks.

Everybody sees this message at least 4 times when visiting xda.The best thing to do is to ignore it
Yes Friend U Are Right ......

pulser_g2
Old
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10595
Actually, to be a tad unintuitive, it can help you know WHO to listen to...

It shows you who cares about thanks more than anything else, and thus who to ignore and sneer at

Having trouble getting an answer? | What is XDA about? | How to ask for help?

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

BTC: 1K2fpDsRHkirWmk3PKiqtzhVHKUJCWPWnN
PGP: 0x260F4FDEF258E3C4
The Following User Says Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roofrider
Old
Thanks Meter 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2 View Post
Actually, to be a tad unintuitive, it can help you know WHO to listen to...

It shows you who cares about thanks more than anything else, and thus who to ignore and sneer at
And troll and flame at too

Thats OK
Old
Thanks Meter 277
If I may.
As one who is older I find the begging thanx the online version of panhandling.
I agree the thanks counter means little in most cases.
Just another meaningless badge.

I've always wondered also why some have the "donate" button active when they have contributed nothing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thats OK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dmazr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Re: Thanks?

It takes a second to thank a developer who assisted you. No biggie. The open source community are extremely helpful. Plus they do this for free. Get over yourself and thank a developer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Thats OK
Old
Thanks Meter 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazr View Post
It takes a second to thank a developer who assisted you. No biggie. The open source community are extremely helpful. Plus they do this for free. Get over yourself and thank a developer.
You didn't read or perhaps aren't understanding the original post.
OP is stating that "begging for thanks" in a signature is irritating.
The OP says giving thanks if deserved is certainly appropriate.