Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,336 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

External Harddrives

Tip us?

Mr.Doc
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnice View Post
I have so far used 3 external hds on my nexus 10
1- samsung 1tb 2.5" without external power
2- lacie external 3.5"
3-one of those caddy things where you just pop a sata drive in (vertically). This is not an enclosure as such. All 3 work. the drives in 1 and 2 are as purchased. with 3 i just use any old sata drive.
I'm planing to buy a Tab and I'm stuck trying to pick between Note 10.1 or the Nexus 10

and from what you say can you browse your HD from the tablet like using the computer if you have the Y cable to provide power for the HD and will this method work for the Note 10.1 or only works with Nexus

dcnice
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I am afraid that I cannot comment on the note 10.1. However I would assume it would be the same.
The Y cable (+OTG) is only needed for devices that draw their power from the USB and does not require an external power supply. In some cases the tablet does not provide enough power, so the 2nd USB from the Y cable gets plugged into a power source. For items 2 and 3 on my list, these were plugged into the mains and therefore the standard USB cable (+ OTG cable) was used.

Mr.Doc
Old
Thanks Meter 1
after u have used the Nexus 10 would u recommend it or should I buy the Note 10.1

Groundsel
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnice View Post
I tired looking for one that runs off batteries and there is no such thing. You may find something with a micro USB input, although probably quite rare.. I settled for using a USB power pack to power the HD. Something like this should work fine (if you get a Y adaptor for the drive).

I am currently still using my old proporta power pack rated at 3400mah, but will be looking to upgrade to something like the link above.
I posted in the wireless USB storage thread about the new Ravpower Wifi disk. It creates its own wireless network to stream data to your tablet from whatever storage device you connect to the wifi disk. It has a built in battery that provides up to five hours of runtime. It features an SD card slot and a USB 2.0 slot and yes, both can be used simultaneously. It can handle up to a 2TB portable hard drive and stream to up to five devices at the same time. Currently going for $49.99 on Amazon. If you don't want to have a cable or device attached to your tablet, check out the wifi disk. I prefer the wifi disk to my OTG cable since it means the storage device isn't leeching power from the tablet.

mark.m.moran
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsel View Post
I posted in the wireless USB storage thread about the new Ravpower Wifi disk. It creates its own wireless network to stream data to your tablet from whatever storage device you connect to the wifi disk. It has a built in battery that provides up to five hours of runtime. It features an SD card slot and a USB 2.0 slot and yes, both can be used simultaneously. It can handle up to a 2TB portable hard drive and stream to up to five devices at the same time. Currently going for $49.99 on Amazon. If you don't want to have a cable or device attached to your tablet, check out the wifi disk. I prefer the wifi disk to my OTG cable since it means the storage device isn't leeching power from the tablet.
Must give it a look

hughlle
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I'm interested in the new wifeless drive that seagate has just released. seems to offer upgrades on the older goflex satelite, is 1tb, and if you are in the states, seems reasonably priced for what it is. They also got around to adding write support as well as simply read. Very tempted by one, although in the UK it comes in at around 200 which is rather steep, i could get a pair of 3tb desktop drives for that price.

scooterboy5
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughlle View Post
I'm interested in the new wifeless drive that seagate has just released.
Sounds interesting, but I don't think my wife will go for it.

Leoisright
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,891

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: External Harddrives

I'm using my 128gb Samsung 830 and works perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Device: Samsung Note 2 and Samsung Nexus 10
Device: Microsoft Surface
Device: Samsung Tab 3 7"
ROM: S5 4.4.2 w/note 3 mods
Kernel: Stock

Nexus 10 Developement

Have helped with many mods and roms over the past 4 years. Devices I've helped include Evo 4G, Evo 4G LTE, Evo 3D, Note 2, HP Touchpad, and Nexus 10

Many thanks to Myn, Virus, Chubbzlou, Ewalk, TMartin, TommyTomatoe, CM, Sac, Platty, XDA, and so many more for helping me over the years to refine my skills

willmott1992
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Using a cheapo OTA cable from amazon, my Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile MX3 and Nexus Media Importer it works fine for me.
My Nexus needs quite a high charge for the hard drive to spin up though, otherwise I just get a clicking noise. However it does work when charged above ~70%.

mark.m.moran
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmott1992 View Post
Using a cheapo OTA cable from amazon, my Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile MX3 and Nexus Media Importer it works fine for me.
My Nexus needs quite a high charge for the hard drive to spin up though, otherwise I just get a clicking noise. However it does work when charged above ~70%.
Does it drain the battery fast mate?