Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,838 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Backup locked bootloader

Tip us?

maframan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Backup locked bootloader

Hi, is it possible to backup original locked bootloader for any restore?
For example via dd command.

BR
maframan

MartyHulskemper
Old
(Last edited by MartyHulskemper; 23rd February 2013 at 10:50 PM.) Reason: damn typos
Thanks Meter 365
I do not know for sure, but given the wizards we have in here -- like sbdags, _that, dasunsrule32, and many others that I look up to -- I would wager a finger that if it could be done they would've found a way by now and published it. I would definitely not hold my breath, mate.
"Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs."
-- Murphy's Military Laws, as referenced on http://www.military-info.com/freebies/murphy.htm

"The skill of accurate perception is called cynicism by those who don't possess it."
-- Alan Millar

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12608

DONATE TO ME
It's not possible to restore the locked bootloader.
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development

maframan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks a lot.
After your response, Just now i unlocked the bootloader.

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2363
Actually, unlocking the bootloader does not even change the bootloader. It just writes a small data block into the hidden "CER" partition.

mbamberg
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
Actually, unlocking the bootloader does not even change the bootloader. It just writes a small data block into the hidden "CER" partition.
OK, I'm interested, if we know (not me personally) where the memory position is, and we know what it is before and after the unlock, what is the barrier to just resetting value to the pre-unlock value? Is it encrypted, obviously we can change the value so it's writable?

I'm not trying to be contrary, and I been reading on these forums for over two years, I know the "unlocker" comes from ASUS, but NONE of the wizards have figured it out? I'm just a half step above a noob, not a developer, just asking for basic information.

MartyHulskemper
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Default Re: [Q] Backup locked bootloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamberg View Post
OK, I'm interested, if we know (not me personally) where the memory position is, and we know what it is before and after the unlock, what is the barrier to just resetting value to the pre-unlock value? Is it encrypted, obviously we can change the value so it's writable?

I'm not trying to be contrary, and I been reading on these forums for over two years, I know the "unlocker" comes from ASUS, but NONE of the wizards have figured it out? I'm just a half step above a noob, not a developer, just asking for basic information.
Mind you: it would serve no effective purpose at all, because ASUS registers the serial number of the unlocked device before probably even writing the block. The only reason you would want to be able to relock is for warranty purposes, but you'd be scr**ed anyway.
"Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs."
-- Murphy's Military Laws, as referenced on http://www.military-info.com/freebies/murphy.htm

"The skill of accurate perception is called cynicism by those who don't possess it."
-- Alan Millar

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamberg View Post
OK, I'm interested, if we know (not me personally) where the memory position is, and we know what it is before and after the unlock, what is the barrier to just resetting value to the pre-unlock value?
As Marty said: It may be possible, but it's pointless.

Tags
locked bootloader