Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

The EB40 Battery mod (ghetto style Atrix HD MAXX)

OP smogtdi

23rd February 2013, 08:41 AM   |  #511  
Thanks Meter: 45

190 posts
Re: The EB40 Battery mod (ghetto style Atrix HD MAXX)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

Very tempting since this very nice phone is somewhat crippled by not being able to make it though a day of moderate use, however It seems that in a phone this thin the way the battery fits and that layer of tape may be significant to heat dispersal. Does anyone have statistics indicating the # of people who have tried this and what percentage have had overheating issues - or have suggestions about how to conduct such a survey?

I've never had a issue with heat and I peeled the tape off the factory battery and put it on the eb40 when I installed it

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to miko85 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 08:51 AM   |  #512  
Thanks Meter: 251

554 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miko85

I've never had a issue with heat and I peeled the tape off the factory battery and put it on the eb40 when I installed it

Thanks miko85. I saw that some folks did that with the tape and would not dream of doing otherwise. Though the methods and skills each person applies to this task would vary greatly, and poor work could be causing some of the bad results, I'd feel reassured by seeing a lot of attempts and low percentage of fails in a tidy chart. Dare to dream! Also phone is quite new so I'm stalling.
23rd February 2013, 01:11 PM   |  #513  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
AW: The EB40 Battery mod (ghetto style Atrix HD MAXX)
I did the mod in october, also put the tape on the EB40 again, and still everything works perfect. I'm on golden rom, too, incredible battery life!
23rd February 2013, 03:02 PM   |  #514  
Thanks Meter: 400

1,985 posts
Didnt put the tape back on. Still running great.

sent from my JokerMATRIX HD MAXX
23rd February 2013, 05:03 PM   |  #515  
Flag Alton, IL
Thanks Meter: 1,548

3,287 posts
More
Didn't do the tape. Mine is just fine
23rd February 2013, 05:56 PM   |  #516  
Thanks Meter: 18

131 posts
I did this mod about a month ago and it works perfectly. Still have 80%+ battery after a typical work day. And have not experienced any heat problems, even after heavy use. I use the INCIPIO case, which fits just fine after the mod.

I cut the plastic back at the top under the white tag. Can't imagine fitting the larger battery under the plastic. No wonder some have damaged the speaker. Cutting the plastic was not easy, particularly since I did not remove the frame. I ended up heating an exacto knife and melting through the plastic. Any better suggestions?

What is the tape people are referring to? I certainly didn't remove and replace any tape.

And what do you suppose the white tag is all about?

23rd February 2013, 06:18 PM   |  #517  
Thanks Meter: 251

554 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yar2

I did this mod about a month ago and it works perfectly. Still have 80%+ battery after a typical work day. And have not experienced any heat problems, even after heavy use. I use the INCIPIO case, which fits just fine after the mod.

I cut the plastic back at the top under the white tag. Can't imagine fitting the larger battery under the plastic. No wonder some have damaged the speaker. Cutting the plastic was not easy, particularly since I did not remove the frame. I ended up heating an exacto knife and melting through the plastic. Any better suggestions?

What is the tape people are referring to? I certainly didn't remove and replace any tape.

And what do you suppose the white tag is all about?

There should be a thin film of tape covering the entire surface between the battery and back cover. Maybe it never left your case cover? Also, it occurs to me that with this phone out for less than a year there just wont be long term statistics.Still, thanks to the helpful feedback here it's getting harder to wait. .
23rd February 2013, 11:42 PM   |  #518  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Just did this mod today. I tried to do it once without cutting the white part of the plastic, but the speaker didn't work. I cut the plastic and now the speaker works. I assume that the battery pulls the speaker away from its contacts since its thicker, but cutting the plastic allows it to touch well.

Excited to see more battery life!
24th February 2013, 05:04 PM   |  #519  
Thanks Meter: 4

141 posts
Yes, this mod is totally easy if you just step back once it's open, take a deep breath, and see how the new battery is going to fit being twice as thick. I just used an exacto knife to cleanly carve away the plastic piece that covers the top part of the battery enough so that piece slides past the corners of the battery and allows the frame to connect. Before you put it back together, make sure you haven't squished any of the spring-like connections at the top. If so, just spring them back up a bit so they'll make a solid connection when you snap the back on. This will solve any potential speaker issues. I doubt the tape is meant as any sort of heat sink or anything, just something that would make sense to tape down during the manufacturing process - also the back is a flexy piece of kevlar so it would help give the back a firm feel stuck to the battery like that. I easily peeled mine off the old battery and stuck it onto the new one. It's not going to make a difference either way. Get a battery, a torx driver, and get this done. It could not be easier. Once you see under the cover of this phone it all just makes simple sense.
24th February 2013, 08:11 PM   |  #520  
Montreal
Thanks Meter: 15

179 posts
More
Hi I want to do this mod but am I going to loose my warranty ? And if I put back the E20?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
eb40 mb886
Previous Thread Next Thread