Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,857 Members 44,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Tip us?

katamari201
Old
Thanks Meter 143
I hate onscreen buttons. They are annoying and make the whole screen look ugly. When they disappear into three dots like in the camera app and you have to pop them back up, its all a waste of time and screen. Samsung, LG, and HTC realize how stupid they are so they have not embraced them. Google needs to learn some humility and know when to back down when they've made a mistake. Microsoft allows for microSD cards now in WP8, completely changing their tune about it since WP7. Google is still defying the market, sticking with onscreen buttons and no expansion on their nexus phones. MicroSDs are cheap and far cheaper than getting a higher GB model, if you can even find a higher GB model that is.

I like that HTC reduced the number of buttons and made them smaller. They are still big enough to hit easily, but aren't hugging the corners like Samsung or LG phones, which are very easily to press by accident. Less buttons also means less accidents. One of the great things about the iPhone's single home button is that you always know where it is and its easy to press without looking for it. Press once for home, double press for recent apps, press again on home to go to first page or go to search, hold for Siri. It's easier for me than having to remember the constantly changing button order on phones, having to distinguish between them, or pressing the wrong one by accident. HTC is simplifying the buttons for the better. I also like the HTC logo in between the two buttons.

DoMiNiKiNG947
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

What they should have done was leave it the way it is like the HTC Evo LTE aka HTC One OG version with three button layout. Way better. Don't like that three dot screen and on some apps its just taking up space. I just recently bought Evo LTE about 2 months ago because though no menu button gonna suck but noticed it had it by activating it. The new layout for the One kind of sucks. Home button should of been on middle or even leave the HTC but use it as home button and third be menu/multitask.
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Eggcake
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNiKiNG947 View Post
What they should have done was leave it the way it is like the HTC Evo LTE aka HTC One OG version with three button layout. Way better. Don't like that three dot screen and on some apps its just taking up space. I just recently bought Evo LTE about 2 months ago because though no menu button gonna suck but noticed it had it by activating it. The new layout for the One kind of sucks. Home button should of been on middle or even leave the HTC but use it as home button and third be menu/multitask.
I'm repeating myself:
You can deactivate that 3-dot menu and map the menu functionality to the back button (long press). Exactly the same thing with the One X/One S where you can map the menu button to the multitasking button.

DoMiNiKiNG947
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

And by the way, on screen buttons is a no-no for me. Takes up space form screen. HTC be dumb enough to do that. Hard enough to go from 4 to 3 buttons to then go to 2 button. 3 is good.

GlossGhost
Old
Thanks Meter 115

Or just take the slight edge of the screen, swype inside and made on screen buttons appear. Also make a button that hides them and whenever you need the just swype again and they will be there.
Without taking up from the resolution and the screen. They just appear on top of what you have. What do you guys think about that?
Mapping the keys is the best way though.

xXxG0dzRAgexXx
Old
Thanks Meter 258
As much as I love swipe gestures and not like using buttons, I feel like making the menu purely gesture based isn't too good an idea. I like how HTC isn't using on screen buttons. I've never used an android for more than a few minutes though and I wasn't too big a fan of the on screen buttons when I would see someone else's phone. I'm sure not too long after I get the HTC one ill just try to find things that will allow me to get rid of the need for the buttons to make it all gesture based. Still like the idea of having the dedicated buttons there though just in case.

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6644
Will some of you honestly moan about anything you can?
If having a certain feature on the One is a deal breaker for you, don't stay in this forum. You don't need to tell us what you don't like and we don't need to hear it.
I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."
[ m7 | 1.54.401.5 | S-OFF ]
Can't find your answer or not sure where to post? Ask in the XDA Assist Forum
Forum Rules | XDA New User Guide | Getting Moderator Help

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
Follow me on Twitter - @XDAKidCarter93

xXxG0dzRAgexXx
Old
Thanks Meter 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93 View Post
Will some of you honestly moan about anything you can?
If having a certain feature on the One is a deal breaker for you, don't stay in this forum. You don't need to tell us what you don't like and we don't need to hear it.
What's a forum if you can't share your opinions? Some people do act ridiculous over the smallest things though, I for one would have bought the phone any way they would have made the buttons. This phone is just too good to pass up.

Wh1techapel
Old
Thanks Meter 11
For me, the on-screen buttons ruined the XZ. I have decided to switch my attention to the One for this and a few other reasons.

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6644

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxG0dzRAgexXx View Post
What's a forum if you can't share your opinions? Some people do act ridiculous over the smallest things though, I for one would have bought the phone any way they would have made the buttons. This phone is just too good to pass up.
Yeah that's pretty much what I mean. People just making a mountain out of a molehill.
The Nexus 4 forum is terrible for that. Tons of threads pop up saying "This screen broke without touching it" and within a couple of pages the story is revealed that it was dropped from a couple of feet high -_-
I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."
[ m7 | 1.54.401.5 | S-OFF ]
Can't find your answer or not sure where to post? Ask in the XDA Assist Forum
Forum Rules | XDA New User Guide | Getting Moderator Help

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
Follow me on Twitter - @XDAKidCarter93