Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

OP Bajanman

23rd February 2013, 06:17 PM   |  #131  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 396
 
1,647 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Re: Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)
What are you tethering? An Xbox or computer?

I ask because that's literally a massive amount of usage unless you're tethering a multimedia server through your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
23rd February 2013, 06:22 PM   |  #132  
Re: Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton

25GB is from Tethering the rest is from my phone...

What is there NOT to understand.....???

LTE I`m not throttled, sometimes It is And I just restart my phone and its back! Greensboro NC I was throttled on LTE, But Raleigh, Wilmington nc I was NOT throttled and same for Greenville SC. HSPA+ I`m ALWAYS throttled after 5GB BUT I always use the wap.cingular APN and I`m not longer throttled.

And your not on a tethering plan at all? And you're on AT&T service right..
If that's truly the case then, hell yeah enjoy it bro. I'm thinking it's because your on a international NOTE 2. And that's why they can't catch it. Interesting, what, wap.Cingular apn setting you referring to. Can you post a screen shot of it. Tnx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
23rd February 2013, 06:34 PM   |  #133  
hyelton's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Wilmington
Thanks Meter: 2,771
 
5,567 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajanman

And your not on a tethering plan at all? And you're on AT&T service right..
If that's truly the case then, hell yeah enjoy it bro. I'm thinking it's because your on a international NOTE 2. And that's why they can't catch it. Interesting, what, wap.Cingular apn setting you referring to. Can you post a screen shot of it. Tnx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

NOPE AT&T Phone, Don`t have the international one anymore, I`ve always tethered since I`ve had AT&T in 2011 and mostly been on AT&T phones.


And to the person Above, I USE A LOT OF DATA! Only PC`s. I ONLY tether really if I`m traveling which is rare been been a couple 1000 miles this month. But usually I only tether at one Location and I`m there 3 days a week cause the other Option is using there Satilite internet and THATS not happening lol, so I have 2 computers and a phone usually connected to my tether and the speeds are only about 3-4 megs on HSPA+ service is horrible no LTE in my area. But when I`m at home I hardly use Tether unless my internet goes out as I have a 25meg connection at home.

Also a LOT of the data this month is from YouTube, Within an hour in the car it used about 2GB in JUST Youtube Videos from my Friend using to for music hooked to my radio.
23rd February 2013, 07:27 PM   |  #134  
BlackPhantomX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 101
 
258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajanman

Exactly 55 gigs. Is that from tethering?? Because we have been on the topic of tethering for awhile now! Come on what are you doing to use that much?? Cuz it can't b just from streaming. I'm not sure??

Just FYI, -I- can hit at least 150GB in a month if I have it constantly streaming and downloading/uploading. More now that I figured out how to get around the throttle.

But, he did confirm that he does tether once in a while. I had just begun to mainly because our brilliant IT guy at work locked up wifi for a few weeks after getting rid of the WAP that would randomly go out, forcing us to find other means to get on the internet with our non-smartphone devices. Now that wifi isn't locked anymore, I find no real reason to tether unless it's an emergency.
24th February 2013, 12:49 AM   |  #135  
Re: Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton

NOPE AT&T Phone, Don`t have the international one anymore, I`ve always tethered since I`ve had AT&T in 2011 and mostly been on AT&T phones.


And to the person Above, I USE A LOT OF DATA! Only PC`s. I ONLY tether really if I`m traveling which is rare been been a couple 1000 miles this month. But usually I only tether at one Location and I`m there 3 days a week cause the other Option is using there Satilite internet and THATS not happening lol, so I have 2 computers and a phone usually connected to my tether and the speeds are only about 3-4 megs on HSPA+ service is horrible no LTE in my area. But when I`m at home I hardly use Tether unless my internet goes out as I have a 25meg connection at home.

Also a LOT of the data this month is from YouTube, Within an hour in the car it used about 2GB in JUST Youtube Videos from my Friend using to for music hooked to my radio.

Ok got ya, yeah that can boost up the data usage.





Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPhantomX

Just FYI, -I- can hit at least 150GB in a month if I have it constantly streaming and downloading/uploading. More now that I figured out how to get around the throttle.

But, he did confirm that he does tether once in a while. I had just begun to mainly because our brilliant IT guy at work locked up wifi for a few weeks after getting rid of the WAP that would randomly go out, forcing us to find other means to get on the internet with our non-smartphone devices. Now that wifi isn't locked anymore, I find no real reason to tether unless it's an emergency.


+1 on the emergency tethering!

Oh I know you hit the 150 gig. I remember you posting that awhile back. I tether every now and then. Because everywhere I go there's WiFi. But when I'm on the road I'll use it. But don't think I ever got that hi b4! lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
24th February 2013, 03:21 AM   |  #136  
privatewarrior1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
182 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary02468

What do you mean? Can you tell us what contradictions you think you see in hyelton's statement?

Sure.

He wrote:
I`ve done about 55GB so far this month, On LTE im NOT throttled but HSPA+ I am but I just change my apn to wap.cingular and bam HSPA+ unthrottled

Contradiction 1. HSPA+ = wap.cingular he said he is throttled on H+
Contradiction 2. he said once he is throttled on H+ he changes to H+ and bam (understood as no more throttle)
Contradiction 3. everyone knows that LTE is what is throttled, so this is a general contradiction. It contradicts every known truthful statement.

In all truthfulness, I am just effing with you guys...I am not anal like that.
Last edited by privatewarrior1; 24th February 2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: deleting a second post
The Following User Says Thank You to privatewarrior1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2013, 06:12 AM   |  #137  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Re: Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)
Is there a reliable way to tether LTE without fear of the data gastapo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
24th February 2013, 06:57 AM   |  #138  
BlackPhantomX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 101
 
258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajanman

+1 on the emergency tethering!

Oh I know you hit the 150 gig. I remember you posting that awhile back. I tether every now and then. Because everywhere I go there's WiFi. But when I'm on the road I'll use it. But don't think I ever got that hi b4! lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Sorry. I meant that I don't need to be tethered to use up 150+GB data in a month. I've hit 150GB before I even started tethering.


Quote:
Originally Posted by flyup

Is there a reliable way to tether LTE without fear of the data gastapo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

If we knew how, we'd probably be taking advantage of it.
24th February 2013, 09:47 AM   |  #139  
privatewarrior1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
182 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPhantomX

Sorry. I meant that I don't need to be tethered to use up 150+GB data in a month. I've hit 150GB before I even started tethering.




If we knew how, we'd probably be taking advantage of it.

an even more truthful statement is: "if we knew how att detects tethering, we could discover other methods to go around it"
24th February 2013, 01:20 PM   |  #140  
privatewarrior1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
182 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton

25GB is from Tethering the rest is from my phone...

What is there NOT to understand.....???

LTE I`m not throttled, sometimes It is And I just restart my phone and its back! Greensboro NC I was throttled on LTE, But Raleigh, Wilmington nc I was NOT throttled and same for Greenville SC. HSPA+ I`m ALWAYS throttled after 5GB BUT I always use the wap.cingular APN and I`m not longer throttled.


somehow I missed this post.
so which apn do you use for hspa

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes