Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,114 Members 38,221 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Tip us?

khightower
Old
(Last edited by khightower; 22nd February 2013 at 04:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Hi all,

I got so fed up with this merry-go-round of uselessness from Google Play Store and became so disillusioned by this whole experience that I gave in and bought an alternative Android device.

I took a punt and went for one of the el-cheapo Chinese tablets - the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 10.1 - bought from eBuyer (can also buy it from Debenhams and BHS websites in the UK) for the princely sum of 140.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed for the money. Screen resolution is obviously inferior to the Nexus, but it's plenty good enough for general use & browsing etc (I think it's iPad 2 sort of quality). I've rooted it and it seems pretty smooth and overall I'm happy with it. The resolution might not be as good as the Nexus, but it has no light bleed whatsoever and no yellow banding/creaking/etc. It arrived quickly and was a cellophane-wrapped BRAND NEW device! ) It does have one slightly confused pixel which often displays the wrong colour, but I don't notice it, and I don't care because this device didn't cost the earth so I don't expect it to be perfect.

For the sake of 140 it will give me something to tide me over for a year or so while I keep an eye on the market and see what comes out from Google & their rivals over the coming year. I'll buy something from a brick & mortar store in the UK when I see something I like without light bleed )

Worth considering?

Never buying hardware from Google Play Store again!

Good luck everybody. Hope you eventually get a tablet you're happy with!
The Following User Says Thank You to khightower For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vvarwick
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Received my first Nexus 10 from Staples.com on Tuesday. It was a R32D version. Turned it on and the light bleed was horrible in the lower right corner. Did not have to be in a dimly lit room to see it or be watching a movie. It was visible all the time. It was not a faint glow in the corner. It was almost like I could see the bulb element! It was a bright pale yellow hue about 1.5" up the side and about 1" across the bottom. (picture a pale yellow backwards "L" in the lower right corner.) The 1" across the bottom was the brightest spot. Staples exchanged it without any issue and the new one I received today is also a R32D so I was worried. BUT it has almost no light leak at all!

Just letting you know there are some really good R32Ds out there. Also both of the tablets I received from Staples.com had factory seals on both sides of the box that were not tampered with at all.

VVarwick
The Following User Says Thank You to vvarwick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mark.m.moran
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvarwick View Post
Received my first Nexus 10 from Staples.com on Tuesday. It was a R32D version. Turned it on and the light bleed was horrible in the lower right corner. Did not have to be in a dimly lit room to see it or be watching a movie. It was visible all the time. It was not a faint glow in the corner. It was almost like I could see the bulb element! It was a bright pale yellow hue about 1.5" up the side and about 1" across the bottom. (picture a pale yellow backwards "L" in the lower right corner.) The 1" across the bottom was the brightest spot. Staples exchanged it without any issue and the new one I received today is also a R32D so I was worried. BUT it has almost no light leak at all!

Just letting you know there are some really good R32Ds out there. Also both of the tablets I received from Staples.com had factory seals on both sides of the box that were not tampered with at all.

VVarwick
Great to see you got a good one and they do actually exist!!

thelazer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default oih

oh

ryco1008
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Well got my 3rd 10 from Google. Seals not perfect, screen would have been great....except lower right is so bad I always see it even at 0% brightness. The back is so creaky I almost think something is broke inside. Well that makes my decision. I'm keeping my almost perfect 10 from staples. The only defect is cosmetic on the case near the speaker grill which I never see. The screen is almost perfect and no creaks anywhere and feels solid. Didn't want 32 GB version but oh well I'm sure down the road it be glad I have the extra space. Well going to get my refund started....

zmattmanz
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

How do you like your iPad over the 10? I'm probably going to do this today. A little scared of jumping to iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Only Android. Only Apps.

falcon26
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I myself went threw 3 N10's before I gave up. Its a really shame that the QA on these is that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon26 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mermoid
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmattmanz View Post
How do you like your iPad over the 10? I'm probably going to do this today. A little scared of jumping to iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
The iPad is awesome. I think Android is probably a more feature-rich OS but iOS is still good and of course very smooth. It is a little bit smoother than my N10 which itself is very smooth but I dunno, the N10 feels a little more rigid (?) or something. I think the touch tracking is slightly closer to 1:1 on the iPad which makes it feel a bit silkier.

I miss a few things like the fixed nav-bar with back and recent apps buttons (especially the back button!) but the iPad has some neat features the N10 doesn't like the whole-hand gesture for closing apps and I like the default keyboard a bit more on the iPad. Screen-wise I can just about see a difference between 300ppi and 264ppi with the two tablets side-by-side but the iPad is still super sharp so it's pretty irrelevant to be honest. iPad colours are more vivid but the N10 has whiter whites. 4:3 ratio is better for web browsing but not as good for watching stuff... that said I much prefer watching videos on my iPad simply because there's no yellow discolouration in the corners. I also find the playstore a bit easier to navigate than the appstore. Battery life is way better on the iPad.

It's hard to say which is better, really. If they were the same price I'd say the iPad is probably a little better...but as they aren't I'm not too sure.
The N10 would be much better value for money than the iPad if I could have got one with decent build quality, but as it is I'm fairly content with paying 80 extra to get a device with no screen or wifi issues.

My next challenge is obtaining a return parcel for my 2nd N10 from Google, I've requested it several times over the last 2 weeks and despite repeated assurances from them that I'll get it soon, I have still received nothing...

wynand32
Old
Thanks Meter 419
Default Re: Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Every time I turn on my iPad 3, which isn't very often since I got my N10, I'm driven crazy by the need to go through all of the icons and groups that have notification badges. On the N10, widget tell me everything I need to know at a glance.

Add in local file storage for offline doc editing, and far better app sharing capabilities, and I'm THIS close to selling the iPad. The only thing stopping me is the much better DirecTV app on the iPad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

mermoid
Old
Thanks Meter 4
ah yes, I forgot about that - the notifications are indeed WAY better on the N10. The drop-down notification thing at the top of the home screen in iOS is useless and clearly a poorly implemented afterthought. Another thing that's annoying is that you can only add gmail accounts to the default Mail app using IMAP now which means it doesn't get push notifications. I installed the Gmail app and it does automatically notify me instantly about new emails but it's really annoying to need two separate email applications. On that topic I also really miss the notification light on the N10. I also miss the drop-down menu at the top right with quick settings for wifi and brightness and all that stuff.

also I don't really like the font that Safari seems to render all websites with, the N10 web browser font seems much more similar to what I get on my Windows PCs.

tbh the only reason I bought the iPad was because I got fed up dealing with the awful Google Play Team and couldn't be bothered going through multiple replacement units, accumulating loads of holds on my card and having to book days off work to be home for the courier to collect my returns and so forth. My original plan was to return both my N10s at the same time but they've taken so long to send a shipping bag for the 2nd one that I had no choice but to book a collection for the 1st one tomorrow or else I'll miss the 21-day return window and have my card charged for the 2nd one even though I've RMA'd it too :/