Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,448 Members 40,704 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

Tip us?

rrush271
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by syintiphic View Post
Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. I'd like to mention that the solution may not work for all but it did work for me after I tried just about every fix possible. For example I flashed back to stock, performed numerous battery pulls, used many of the AGPS patches, made numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioned my phone, checked different ROMs, uninstalled/reinstalled Google Maps, cleared data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on.

I tried all of the above methods because my GPS would take forever to get a fix both indoors and outdoors (I know it usually takes longer to get a fix indoors), wouldn't hold the fix while navigating and my GPS apps kept stating "Searching for GPS", would see 20+ satellites but would never lock on to them...man it was really frustrating. I just about gave up.

However, as I was trying to follow another procedure to fix my GPS which required me to pull my battery I noticed that when I removed my back cover that the back frame that has all the screws was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all up my GPS worked immediately! I've tested for a day and I consistently got a lock on the satellites in about 2-15 seconds depending on my location. My navigation also worked and wouldn't cut in and out.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a GS3 definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure everything is secure. I've tried my GPS on the stock and CM 10 stable ROMs and I have achieved GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. Maybe this has already been shared but I figured I would post in case some of you haven't seen it yet.

Cheers.
I was having the same problems, gps wouldn't lock etc. I was about to send it in for a replacement when I found this thread. I checked the screw under the gps antenna and it was about 1/2 turn loose. Tightened it up and now I get a gps lock in seconds.

Thank you for the suggestion. It saved me from getting a refurb.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrush271 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JBaxendale
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default Re: Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

Been having GPS problems for a long, long time on my S3. Happened on this post today.

It is true. I tightened the screws and now GPS works perfectly. Get fix in one or two seconds every time now. I am also getting 19 of 22 satellites connected and accuracy is at 10 feet which I think is the very best you can get.

Amazing, but true. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Magdalen College
Oxford University

HTC Touch Pro 2 (Tilt 2)
with:
Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro, and
Android 2.2 (Froyo) via XDAndroid

Push Email by Exchange Server 2007
gb Sandisk Micro SD
ROM version
ROM date
Radio:
Protocol:
CPU: Qualcomm MSM7201A-528 MHz
Overclocked to 768 MHz

Prior:
HTC Evo (returned)
HTC Raphael (AT&T Touch Pro)
HTC AT&T 8925 (Tilt)

HTC Hermes 100 (Cingular 8525)
HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125)
Siemens S66
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBaxendale For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gervin
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxendale View Post
Been having GPS problems for a long, long time on my S3. Happened on this post today.

It is true. I tightened the screws and now GPS works perfectly. Get fix in one or two seconds every time now. I am also getting 19 of 22 satellites connected and accuracy is at 10 feet which I think is the very best you can get.

Amazing, but true. Thanks.

LOL - I'd hate to think the production run that Verizon admitted to about the GPS is only related to loose screws.

syintiphic
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrush271 View Post
I was having the same problems, gps wouldn't lock etc. I was about to send it in for a replacement when I found this thread. I checked the screw under the gps antenna and it was about 1/2 turn loose. Tightened it up and now I get a gps lock in seconds.

Thank you for the suggestion. It saved me from getting a refurb.
I'm glad the fix worked for you.

syintiphic
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by malo1m View Post
I can't find the original post, because I cannot remember in which thread it was on.

A fellow xda member said he looked at the screws on his wife's s3 and notices they were loose. He then said he simply tightened them and was getting instant lock.

After fighting with all the software fixes and patches I could find, & thinking that sounded like a goofy reason the GPS wouldn't work. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot.

Lock in seconds, and never loose Nav on the road. Have done it to three of my buddies other phones and they thought I was nuts, but it works.

I'll give all the credit to the CDA member once I find that post. Tighten your screws and you will see a drastic drastic difference!!

Edit: I found it!
syintiphic
I'm glad the fix worked for you and your buddies. Thanks for the credit.

s10blazed
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Well I would like to thank those of you who have mentioned tightening the screws under the rear panel. I am amazed that could be the problem! I tried it on my wife's phone with it turned off. Only 1 screw in the bottom left even turned at all. It turned about 1/4 turn. Now the GPS on her phone locks rock solid in seconds! Its like night and day. I tried it on my phone while it was on and searching for a lock. It wasn't instantaneous, but before I could put my case back on I had a lock.. in my garage. I'd like to note my screws ALL turned a bit. My wife's only the one screw moved.

So to sum up - if you have GPS problems, tighten the damn screws first!
The Following User Says Thank You to s10blazed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ovreel
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I had trouble with the Liquidsmooth RC9 GPS, it would always take a long time to lock in. Since updating to the new 4.2.2 build, it works much faster.

syintiphic
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10blazed View Post
Well I would like to thank those of you who have mentioned tightening the screws under the rear panel. I am amazed that could be the problem! I tried it on my wife's phone with it turned off. Only 1 screw in the bottom left even turned at all. It turned about 1/4 turn. Now the GPS on her phone locks rock solid in seconds! Its like night and day. I tried it on my phone while it was on and searching for a lock. It wasn't instantaneous, but before I could put my case back on I had a lock.. in my garage. I'd like to note my screws ALL turned a bit. My wife's only the one screw moved.

So to sum up - if you have GPS problems, tighten the damn screws first!
Yea, I came across this as noted in my original post. Im glad this seems to be working for people.

The5Venomz
Old
Thanks Meter 125

So my gps hasn't worked in a couple of weeks and I stumbled upon this thread and holy sh** my screws were loose and this fixed it... Lol amazing!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

UberSuber
Old
(Last edited by UberSuber; 10th March 2013 at 04:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
I had regular problems, stock and roomed, until I unrooted and replaced my phone under warranty. Now, zero problems.
Wish I had tried the screws first tho. To late!