Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 43,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

Tip us?

Chasoscar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

I keep getting a notification about an ATT update and I was wondering if it will affect my rooted phone. I just have a basic 'stock' odin root, not a custom Rom. The update will not let me disable notifications and will only let me delay the reminders 8 hrs........... I am getting tired of seeing the notifications and dont know what it will do if I update. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks

AndroidSon
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasoscar View Post
I keep getting a notification about an ATT update and I was wondering if it will affect my rooted phone. I just have a basic 'stock' odin root, not a custom Rom. The update will not let me disable notifications and will only let me delay the reminders 8 hrs........... I am getting tired of seeing the notifications and dont know what it will do if I update. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks
Yeah it will remove the root but you can re-root it after the update or use supersu pro to conserve root (though not guaranteed).

slicingtaco
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Have you modified any system apps or files at all? If not i don't see why you won't, just be sure to run Voodoo OTA Keeper before installing the update and restore it after the update. As this update patches the ExynosAbuse exploit
-

robstunner
Old
Thanks Meter 503
Default Re: [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

Download OTA root keeper from the play store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

ReggieSmith
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Default Re: [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

Quote:
Thanks
That update (from like 2/18 or something) is a baseband update (to MA4) and didnt mess with root on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to ReggieSmith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chasoscar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I went ahead and accepted the update and it didnt effect my root, but I did get a notification on the 'pull down' screen that the update was unsuccessful.

wherestheanykey
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
That update (from like 2/18 or something) is a baseband update (to MA4) and didnt mess with root on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
So you are saying that you were on a rooted stock LK2 ROM, and ran the OTA update successfully without losing root? And this was without using RootKeeper OTA or SuperuserSU set to protect root?

ChefJ
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
I went ahead and accepted the update and it didnt effect my root, but I did get a notification on the 'pull down' screen that the update was unsuccessful.
Same here. My phone kept rebooting to TWRP also, which may have something to do with it.

wherestheanykey
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJ View Post
Same here. My phone kept rebooting to TWRP also, which may have something to do with it.
Your phone will not correctly install an OTA update if you have a custom recovery. You will need to find it in the development forums, already rooted, and as a flashable ZIP in custom recovery.