Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

OP Chasoscar

18th February 2013, 02:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

24 posts
More
I keep getting a notification about an ATT update and I was wondering if it will affect my rooted phone. I just have a basic 'stock' odin root, not a custom Rom. The update will not let me disable notifications and will only let me delay the reminders 8 hrs........... I am getting tired of seeing the notifications and dont know what it will do if I update. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks
18th February 2013, 04:23 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasoscar

I keep getting a notification about an ATT update and I was wondering if it will affect my rooted phone. I just have a basic 'stock' odin root, not a custom Rom. The update will not let me disable notifications and will only let me delay the reminders 8 hrs........... I am getting tired of seeing the notifications and dont know what it will do if I update. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks

Yeah it will remove the root but you can re-root it after the update or use supersu pro to conserve root (though not guaranteed).
21st February 2013, 06:03 AM   |  #3  
Flag C:\Earth\USA\California\Freakmont
Thanks Meter: 318

903 posts
More
Have you modified any system apps or files at all? If not i don't see why you won't, just be sure to run Voodoo OTA Keeper before installing the update and restore it after the update. As this update patches the ExynosAbuse exploit
22nd February 2013, 06:36 AM   |  #4  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 532

3,996 posts
More
Re: [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone
Download OTA root keeper from the play store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
23rd February 2013, 04:27 AM   |  #5  
Flag Hampton, GA
Thanks Meter: 97

447 posts
More
Re: [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone
Quote:

Thanks

That update (from like 2/18 or something) is a baseband update (to MA4) and didnt mess with root on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to ReggieSmith For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 05:13 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

24 posts
More
I went ahead and accepted the update and it didnt effect my root, but I did get a notification on the 'pull down' screen that the update was unsuccessful.
23rd February 2013, 05:35 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

204 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieSmith

That update (from like 2/18 or something) is a baseband update (to MA4) and didnt mess with root on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

So you are saying that you were on a rooted stock LK2 ROM, and ran the OTA update successfully without losing root? And this was without using RootKeeper OTA or SuperuserSU set to protect root?
24th February 2013, 05:06 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

14 posts
Quote:

I went ahead and accepted the update and it didnt effect my root, but I did get a notification on the 'pull down' screen that the update was unsuccessful.

Same here. My phone kept rebooting to TWRP also, which may have something to do with it.
24th February 2013, 05:52 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 6

204 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJ

Same here. My phone kept rebooting to TWRP also, which may have something to do with it.

Your phone will not correctly install an OTA update if you have a custom recovery. You will need to find it in the development forums, already rooted, and as a flashable ZIP in custom recovery.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread