Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,368 Members 44,474 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Off-topic: Other device discussions including iPhone and upgrading

Tip us?

dohturdima
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Default Re: Off-topic: Other device discussions including iPhone

S4 is still likely going to be a great phone, even if these are the specs it drops with. Not worth upgrading from the S3 though, IMO - until the S4 retail price drops significantly.

megagodx
Old
Thanks Meter 57
All the Snapdragon 600 happens to be is an enhanced S4 found in last generation tech. I want true high end current generation processors. Not these limbo ones. Snapdragon 800 or Exynos 5 quad/octa us where it's truly at.

omair2005
Old
Thanks Meter 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by megagodx View Post
All the Snapdragon 600 happens to be is an enhanced S4 found in last generation tech. I want true high end current generation processors. Not these limbo ones. Snapdragon 800 or Exynos 5 quad/octa us where it's truly at.
snapdragon 800 won't be available in time for the S4 release... expect it in a LG or GOOGLE phone.
Samsung Galaxy S III Verizon

dohturdima
Old
Thanks Meter 83

Would be nice to know whether Samsung will include a better radio in S4 than the POS we have in the S3. That, and how easy it would be to root and unlock

dunderball
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I wonder if it would be simply wisest to potentially wait for a 'galaxy s5' for those that just recently got the s3 on contract (which I got back in July).

Relaxasaurus
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I'm stoked for the faster RAM chips Samsung has been mass producing:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/s...emory-storage/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/s...-flash-memory/

I/O is still a huge issue in mobile phones, iPhone 5 upped its game with better memory but this looks to be a step above.

Also wish we'd see some A15 architecture right about now but we may be a generation off as I hear the battery draw is too great :\

dohturdima
Old
(Last edited by dohturdima; 26th February 2013 at 11:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderball View Post
I wonder if it would be simply wisest to potentially wait for a 'galaxy s5' for those that just recently got the s3 on contract (which I got back in July).
Due to me and lots of others getting it then to hold on to our unlimited data, waiting for the next upgrade is not in the cards as using it means losing unlimited data. Friggen' Verizon is the only carrier that doesn't allow grandfathered users to use upgrades without forcing them change the plan (in this case, to tiered data). This means I will have to pay retail... Which is something I'm likely to do if S4 is up to snuff.

mouzaihem
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXI Kaze View Post
It's nice but nothing innovative. One of HTCs biggest issues is the fact that they barely change sense. In my opinion, Sense is aesthetically pleasing but that's it. There's the redundancy of clocks (damn lock screen) and a lack of the most simple features like being able to share a picture through text. There's really not much of a change in Sense minus the launcher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
You can share a picture through text.

Sent from my EndeavorU using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362174939552.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1771866  

mouzaihem
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME

I'm having a hard time believing S4 won't use the octa (atleast internationally) with the way they are marketing it. US variants may get just the s600

Sent from my EndeavorU using Tapatalk 2

golfinglenn
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I was a longtime apple holdout and had droids from the beginning but mostly with crap htc phones. Got the 4S and loved the build quality and sound clarity on calls. Got bored quickly and jailbroke it, themed the crap out of it, and ultimately bought an S3. Hated the small screen on the 4S, maps sucked (google is in a completely different league, majors compared to little league on IOS). and I couldn't text to save my life without swype or swiftkey once I got hooked on them.

I am now rooted, taking different roms and kernals for test drives, and loving my phone again. Tried the Note2 for a couple of weeks and it was just too big. Was hoping the S4 was a tad bigger than the S3, but I can easily live with my S3 for now. It does everything I want it to do and is fun to play with. What more do you want with a phone lol.