Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,022 Members 53,409 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Not Charging After Full Drain. Not Turning On When Plugged In

Tip us?

geokilla
Old
(Last edited by geokilla; 17th February 2013 at 09:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 276
Not charging again... My phone maintained a charge between 10% and 25% or so according to the battery usage graph. So I switched cables again. I went into the service menu and got a screenshot of the charging test this time. First pic is with the LG cable. Second is with a Samsung cable. Third picture is back with LG cable after the battery successfully got charged past the "low battery zone" with the Samsung cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-17-11-44-07.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1738362   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-17-11-45-54.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1738366   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-17-15-12-02.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1738488  
OnePlus One
ROM and Kernel: Stock CM11S

phoenix_rizzen
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Default Re: Not Charging After Full Drain. Not Turning On When Plugged In

I have a similar problem with the stock charger. After a few weeks of working perfectly, it just sopped charging my Optimus G.

Bizarrely, it charges my wife's Galaxy S2 HD LTE without issues.

And the charger from my Sony-Ericsson Xperia pro charges the Optimus without issues.

It's almost like the stock charger burns out something internally such that it doesn't output enough voltage/amperage/current.

Sent via the magic of an Optimus G (E971) running CM 10.1.

geokilla
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 276
So it happened again... But this time, it occurred in between 20% to 40% battery life while charging. It's probably the LG cable.. Gonna call support and ask for another.
OnePlus One
ROM and Kernel: Stock CM11S

Mangala_Dharma
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
So it happened again... But this time, it occurred in between 20% to 40% battery life while charging. It's probably the LG cable.. Gonna call support and ask for another.
I have a similar situation -- I powered down my phone one time at 5 %, did not wake up until one hour of charge, then last night tried again with about 40 % of battery left, same problem. I was wondering at first if the phone did not go to power down properly, and that the battery would drain through that, but then I just did another test with my battery at 30 %, and the phone did not want to restart until plugged in for 5 minutes.. It's almost as if the booting process is just this huge battery drain, sucking all the juice to start the phone in a peak of electrical rage.. anyway -- I noticed that yesterday, I was trying to restart the phone after a while, it would start to boot but it seemed it owuld just miss a little bit of juice to complete the process, then finally when it made it to screen it was at about 10 %..

Could it be that fix we used in the stock rom to get the screen at more than 65 %, and the cpu at 1512 mhz ? It seems more software related than hardware in my case, meaning I don't beleive it is the cable
-- Sent from my Phone using my Squid.

matt832
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hate to revive an old thread, but as the new owner of an LGOG i just ran across this problem the other day. My phone has been able to go two day on a charge, and last week I forgot to charge it on night. Found it dead the next day. was leaving so I took it intending to charge at work or in the car. Car charger had no effect, but upper portion of phone got hot. plugged it in at home, same thing, charging icon, getting hot, but not charging. Also noted dim screen glow all the time.

tried 2o second hold on power button, vol up and down, got into the download screen and the bootloader screen, but no charge. Finally held the power button and vol. up and red charging light came on. Held it for a minute and the red charging light stayed on, let go out it went. Decided to try a couple of rubber bands around the phone to hold in the buttons, and it worked ---phone charged fully and operates as usual.

Thought I'd pass my experiance on to help anyone else with similar problem. Any idea why this worked?

Mangala_Dharma
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I don't know, but I do know that getting to android 4.3 roms like the ones in Houstonn's thread have cured my O. G. from that, and from also constant and random camera reboot, and from also maps freaking out when plugged in in the car..

Sent from Somewhere using my Dog
-- Sent from my Phone using my Squid.

philliboy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default For anybody that runs into this problem

I had this problem and tried for hours and hours to fix it. When you stick the usb charger into your phone, it literally takes like 5 hours to charge 2% when it's in this state

So it never gets to a point of wanting to turn on because the phone gets too hot trying to charge

My solution: Put a bunch of ice in a bowl, then put something over that like a bag, aluminum foil, basically anything that would be a barrier between the ice and your phone to keep it from getting wet

Now let it charge with the phone sitting on top of that ice for a few hours(make sure to add new ice as it melts) and your phone will charge up enough that it can be fully turned on. Then just let it keep charging

This worked for me after trying other things for hours. If this didn't work i was gonna open the phone and pull the battery

matt832
Old
Thanks Meter 0
After the last update I have not had this issue. I've run my phone dead a few times and now it always charges - no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliboy View Post
I had this problem and tried for hours and hours to fix it. When you stick the usb charger into your phone, it literally takes like 5 hours to charge 2% when it's in this state

So it never gets to a point of wanting to turn on because the phone gets too hot trying to charge

My solution: Put a bunch of ice in a bowl, then put something over that like a bag, aluminum foil, basically anything that would be a barrier between the ice and your phone to keep it from getting wet

Now let it charge with the phone sitting on top of that ice for a few hours(make sure to add new ice as it melts) and your phone will charge up enough that it can be fully turned on. Then just let it keep charging

This worked for me after trying other things for hours. If this didn't work i was gonna open the phone and pull the battery

philliboy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt832 View Post
After the last update I have not had this issue. I've run my phone dead a few times and now it always charges - no issue.
What update are you referring to? I don't get over the air updates. Mine is off contract.

matt832
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliboy View Post
What update are you referring to? I don't get over the air updates. Mine is off contract.
Last fall. I had to go to the stock rom, do the update, reroot, then all was fine.