Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa

OP Viper420

24th February 2013, 01:27 AM   |  #11  
Flag NorthEastern US
Thanks Meter: 2

129 posts
More
Did you try another cable? Another PC?
24th February 2013, 03:04 AM   |  #12  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 104

449 posts
More
Re: [Q] Why isn't my PC recognizing my phone and vice versa
If your brothers phone plugs in and is read perfectly fine on your PC then it's something with your phone... probably fixable with a reflash of stock.

It seems to me that your device is having an issue with MTP connectiviry (as your phones USB still charges when plugged in) and like I said, if you download the proper Qualcomm drivers for the GNII onto your pc, and use your phones dialer to adjust qualcomm usb settings (for example let's say) to enable QPST connectivity, then you could confirm its just MTP that is malfunctioning... if it's just MTP then as a troubleshooting guide, you could start disabling/reset settings to default/reinstalling apps on your phone or programs on your pc that are directly related to your phone being connected to your PC through USB (Kies, Windows Media, any other 3rd party apps or programs you may use, etc)

Eventually when disabling one of these apps you should get MTP working again (and at least then you have found the culprit-rogue app/program)

If it's not the PC (ie you still can't get connection to work when plugging into a different PC, and have troubleshot all your phones apps) then might be time to file a warranty claim

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper420

i thought at first it was Kaspersky Internet Security, but if that had been the case, it would've blocked my phone from connecting from day one. could it have something to do with the ext storage card (going out on a limb here)? i ahve contacted tmobile directly, to see what they say, but i'm trying everything, even have disabled my KIS, restarted my PC and still nothing. i'll try the troubleshooting your talking about. hopefully that sets everything straight. the wierdest part is that now Kies Air is picking up my phone and all, it just isnt working over USB cable ...

And to answer your question, yes... As a "basic" troubleshooting option, one should always try to use different SD cards in their phone to see if there is any difference!! Considering your brother has a GNII, I'd say not only do you have all the resources needed to find any problem any your phone ever has, but the resources are there to fix them as well

Last edited by PhxDroid86; 24th February 2013 at 02:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhxDroid86 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2013, 08:16 AM   |  #13  
OP Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 0

34 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDroid86

If your brothers phone plugs in and is read perfectly fine on your PC then it's something with your phone... probably fixable with a reflash of stock.

It seems to me that your device is having an issue with MTP connectiviry (as your phones USB still charges when plugged in) and like I said, if you download the proper Qualcomm drivers for the GNII onto your pc, and use your phones dialer to adjust qualcomm usb settings (for example let's say) to enable QPST connectivity, then you could confirm its just MTP that is malfunctioning... if it's just MTP then as a troubleshooting guide, you could start disabling/reset settings to default/reinstalling apps on your phone or programs on your pc that are directly related to your phone being connected to your PC through USB (Kies, Windows Media, any other 3rd party apps or programs you may use, etc)

Eventually when disabling one of these apps you should get MTP working again (and at least then you have found the culprit-rogue app/program)

If it's not the PC (ie you still can't get connection to work when plugging into a different PC, and have troubleshot all your phones apps) then might be time to file a warranty claim

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

And to answer your question, yes... As a "basic" troubleshooting option, one should always try to use different SD cards in their phone to see if there is any difference!! Considering your brother has a GNII, I'd say not only do you have all the resources needed to find any problem any your phone ever has, but the resources are there to fix them as well

i will definitely take this advice and try it out in the morning. hopefully this helps. otherwise its off to the T-Mobile store.

on a side note, i read recently somewhere that the issue i'm having may be presented while using a USB 3.0 port. Even though i do not have a USB 3.0 port, i recently purchased an external HDD which runs on USB 3.0/2.0 (compatible). could it be possible that such a configuration might have caused the issue (again going out on a far reaching limb)...??
Last edited by Viper420; 24th February 2013 at 08:19 AM.
25th February 2013, 06:36 AM   |  #14  
Flag Phoenix

449 posts
More
Quote:

i will definitely take this advice and try it out in the morning. hopefully this helps. otherwise its off to the T-Mobile store.

on a side note, i read recently somewhere that the issue i'm having may be presented while using a USB 3.0 port. Even though i do not have a USB 3.0 port, i recently purchased an external HDD which runs on USB 3.0/2.0 (compatible). could it be possible that such a configuration might have caused the issue (again going out on a far reaching limb)...??

Maybe if your hdd tried to auto load something onto your phone upon plug in... considering your stock, I don't see how this issue is even happening... outside of some app/program settings or some type of "hung" connection, the basic steps you have already covered with drivers/ports etc, should have nixed the problem

25th February 2013, 01:16 PM   |  #15  
OP Member
Flag New York

34 posts
More
okay, so weirdest thing ever. I took my phone into T-Mobile store, where they connected it to their PC and boom, it picked up without a hitch. So they gave me a new wire, and when i got home the problem was solved. the GN2 is now back in order, responding as it should. thank you everyone for your input.
25th February 2013, 01:20 PM   |  #16  
OP Member
Flag New York

34 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirobo_Colombino

I am having the same problem..
any luck?

i took it in to the T-Mobile store. turned out to be my USB wire. that fixed the problem for me. i'd say that's your best bet. hopefully your problem resolves as easily as mine did.
25th February 2013, 03:43 PM   |  #17  
Flag Phoenix

449 posts
More
Lol, stupid cables

28th February 2013, 12:38 AM   |  #18  

248 posts
Storage
its being read as a media player under my computer you will see it and after you install the drivers you will get the pop up folder drag in drop in a limited do you want to convert this first or no media player options
28th February 2013, 01:59 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 9

25 posts
Quote:

i took it in to the T-Mobile store. turned out to be my USB wire. that fixed the problem for me. i'd say that's your best bet. hopefully your problem resolves as easily as mine did.

Thanks a lot. In my case it is not the cable and I'm still lost here. Not really sure what could be. I plugged in another GN2 using the same cable and the pc sees it.
Hopefully someone out there could advise me.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread