Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,368 Members 45,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Tip us?
 
uoY_redruM
Old
#121  
uoY_redruM's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,934
Posts: 3,316
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeoNoX View Post
that was my same thought i had too, thats all i did was just clean the digitizer very good, but some people swear that the glue makes a difference look wise, i would have to compare but to me even without the glue on the digitizer the screen looked just as vibrant as OEM look.
I can attest to the difference between glue and no glue. It's a really clear difference.

I got the optical glue and it doesn't cover the whole screen. They sent the wrong size and I used it anyway. It covers all but ~1" on the bottom and ~1/4" on the top. There is a big quality difference. I guess you could say the images aren't as vivid.

I'll try to take a picture to demonstrate.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED
 
marcustaz
Old
#122  
marcustaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 170
Posts: 560
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoY_redruM View Post
I can attest to the difference between glue and no glue. It's a really clear difference.

I got the optical glue and it doesn't cover the whole screen. They sent the wrong size and I used it anyway. It covers all but ~1" on the bottom and ~1/4" on the top. There is a big quality difference. I guess you could say the images aren't as vivid.

I'll try to take a picture to demonstrate.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Curious, how did you install the loca without an autoclave?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
 
uoY_redruM
Old
#123  
uoY_redruM's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,934
Posts: 3,316
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustaz View Post
Curious, how did you install the loca without an autoclave?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
Not sure what you're asking.

How did I install the glue tape sheet?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED
 
marcustaz
Old
#124  
marcustaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 170
Posts: 560
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoY_redruM View Post
Not sure what you're asking.

How did I install the glue tape sheet?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Well of course your stating that you installed the clear adhesive refered to as OCA Optical Clear Adhesive. This is supposed to be done with a autoclave so I'm just wondering how you actually went about it, did you have any air bubbles excetera trapped, did you heat it...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
 
uoY_redruM
Old
#125  
uoY_redruM's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,934
Posts: 3,316
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustaz View Post
Well of course your stating that you installed the clear adhesive refered to as OCA Optical Clear Adhesive. This is supposed to be done with a autoclave so I'm just wondering how you actually went about it, did you have any air bubbles excetera trapped, did you heat it...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
I did it by hand, and it did not come out perfect. Had I not got my finger stuck to it at one point, I likely could have had a near perfect set. Because of that, though, I have an air pocket of sorts (it folded up slightly and I can't press it down) on the left side about 1/2" or so and random speckles here and there.

Initially, I had a ton of bubbles and was really upset. I thought I messed it up bad. I was able to press EXTREMELY hard with my fingers on each individual section of bubbles and press them flat.

Overall, it's not perfect but there's no dust at all under the screen so far and that annoying "rainbow" circle isn't present. When I did it without the optical tape, the rainbow was there, I could hardly see in the sun and my screen was filled up with dust.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED
 
uoY_redruM
Old
#126  
uoY_redruM's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,934
Posts: 3,316
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Sorry for the poor picture quality, used the wife's Lumia. As you can see, the left side has "speckles" (my finger stuck to it...I was wearing those "finger condoms" though) and there are a few random elsewhere...plus I have a few small nicks in the digitizer from the first time I changed the screen because I pried too hard and left little marks, which looks like small dust spots on the screen all the time.

The flash really makes them show, lol, it doesn't normally look THAT bad.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361750364049.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1758215   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361750371505.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1758216  
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED
 
marcustaz
Old
#127  
marcustaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 170
Posts: 560
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Thanks for sharing. Although I've never worked with the OCA or Loca it seems like it would be virtually impossible not to contaminant with dust and or air bubbles without a clean room and an autoclave. I'd like to try though, where did you get the OCA sheet.?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
 
uoY_redruM
Old
#128  
uoY_redruM's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,934
Posts: 3,316
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustaz View Post
Thanks for sharing. Although I've never worked with the OCA or Loca it seems like it would be virtually impossible not to contaminant with dust and or air bubbles without a clean room and an autoclave. I'd like to try though, where did you get the OCA sheet.?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
www.etradesupply.com

SKU# ESSAM10305469

I don't know if they sent me the wrong one or what but it is about 1/4" to small top and bottom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED
 
marcustaz
Old
#129  
marcustaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 170
Posts: 560
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Did you call them and ask them if they made an error?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
 
uoY_redruM
Old
#130  
uoY_redruM's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,934
Posts: 3,316
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustaz View Post
Did you call them and ask them if they made an error?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
No. I should have, but I already had my screen off and ready to start working when I opened the package and realized it looked too small. I don't have a backup phone and I figured I could make it work.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes