TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Ubuntu Developer Preview DNA Compatibility

OP CISGS

22nd February 2013, 06:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 37

144 posts
Donate to Me
More
Anyone know if sideloading the Ubuntu Developer Preview would work with CWM on our phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJ7U3omGps
22nd February 2013, 07:06 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

39 posts
We need to get a working CM build before we can do that. Currently, the N4 and GN builds are using a CM kernel as a base for the Ubuntu Dev preview. Theoretically, we can build something that boots (since we do have a booting CM build) it would lack a ton of things though such as voice and data.

If someone knows a bit more info, feel free to correct me.
22nd February 2013, 07:31 PM   |  #3  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 88

372 posts
More
Re: Ubuntu Developer Preview DNA Compatibility
The developer preview is limited in these functionalities anyway as far as I'm aware

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jonesin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 07:45 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 315

1,323 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin

The developer preview is limited in these functionalities anyway as far as I'm aware

It has no cdma or LTE compatibility as of now. Gsm only. There is an extensive list of known issues. Its pretty sweet though. Got it on my nexus 7.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk HD
23rd February 2013, 06:24 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 21

188 posts
More
I think the dev preview is only for the nexus products for now. They will come out with more support later.
23rd February 2013, 06:33 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 531

2,373 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atishpatel2012

I think the dev preview is only for the nexus products for now. They will come out with more support later.

They have instructions for porting it to any device.

24th February 2013, 08:29 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 16,219

9,095 posts
Donate to Me
More
to my knowledge the preview doesn't even have mobile data functionality for gsm for now its only wifi, text and calls
2nd March 2013, 05:56 PM   |  #8  
Flag Davis, CA
Thanks Meter: 348

789 posts
Donate to Me
More
After watching several videos on Ubuntu, I'm both excited to try it, and little confused. In almost all videos, it looks almost exactly like Android. The task bar looks the same, it pulls down the same way, the icons look basically the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love having options, but it doesn't seem to be very unique.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
2nd March 2013, 07:20 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 19

75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serinety

After watching several videos on Ubuntu, I'm both excited to try it, and little confused. In almost all videos, it looks almost exactly like Android. The task bar looks the same, it pulls down the same way, the icons look basically the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love having options, but it doesn't seem to be very unique.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

There are several differences. First of all, the thing you will most readily notice is that there are not button/hardware or otherwise for the ubuntu phone OS, it uses gestures similar to the blackberry 10 OS. In some instances this is better at other times, it is nice to have a button. In the long term, your benefit will be the ability to have a larger screen on a smaller device since you won't have to have a longer device to accomadate the buttons.

From a more technical standpoint, using pure linux removes some of the more contentious parts of android like the use of Java. Some of which may provide a faster user experience on the same hardware if Ubuntu can manage to ditch xorg. You could also, argue that the app availability and scalability of ubuntu is greater than android. In other words, soon you'll be able to walk around with a linux device that you can plug into a monitor and blu-tooth keyboard and have a full fledge desktop all from the same hardware -- Carry one device - access it anywhere and in whatever capacity you need it at that time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2013, 03:10 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 65

154 posts
Put it on my galaxy nexus it's not really all that it is fun to play with but I had problems with calls. DNA is much better but stock android will make this the best device all day. If only it had the front stereo speakers powered by beats this phone would never need to be upgraded

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread