Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,481 Members 54,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] wi-fi not working with custom roms - possible Temp fix

Tip us?

m936a2
Old
(Last edited by m936a2; 2nd March 2013 at 06:13 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] wi-fi not working with custom roms - possible Temp fix

I have searched for this for a long time and have found nothing on it
when I install anything other than stock I can not connect to wi-fi
it says the signal is great but will not connect to any - tries to connect - says it is obtaining IP address then fails
I have gone back and installed stock modems but still the same thing - I have tried several different ROMS including paranoid and CM
when I go back to stock it works great
any Ideas?

possibly fixed - still testing

typed in *#197328640#
hit menu and chose wi-fi
it brings up the wi-fi info and an off-on button -wi-fi power saver mode - click off and it connected as soon as i did that
not sure why but i will play with it some more - i am running a stock MA5 7105 based rom

pa3 now works - had to go into settings - wi-fi- advance - keep wi-fi on during sleep - turn to never then back to always - it connected right away

its the wi-fi power saver mode that i turned off and it has to be redone at each reboot

now that I have figured out that its a problem with the wi-fi power saving mode - and that it must be reset each reboot - anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
not sure if a script could be ran automaticaly at boot to reset it so that i would not have to go in and do it manually each time
I have no Idea even how to write one

Galaxysm
Old
Thanks Meter 564
Default Re: [Q] wi-fi not working with custom roms

Jedi master has wifi calling. And it works.

Sent From Land Of Ooo. Using a Jedi Mastered Note 2.
Current Device:LG G3 (T-Mobile) Rooted.(Stock)
Current Device:HTC One M8 (Rooted/MultiRom)
History Of Phones...
Nexus 5 .(T-Mobile) (SOLD
Galaxy Note 2 (T-Mobile) Rooted.(SOLD)
Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) Rooted.
ZTE Warp (Boost Mobile)-Rooted.
Htc Inspire(AT&T)-Rooted/S-Off.
Optimus Elite(Virgin Mobile)-Rooted.
Htc Amaze 4G(T-Mobile)-Rooted.-SOLD.
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013) model 32GB.

magnumseven
Old
(Last edited by magnumseven; 19th February 2013 at 11:17 PM.) Reason: added more info
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Phone Kernel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m936a2 View Post
it says the signal is great but will not connect to any - tries to connect - says it is obtaining IP address then fails
I have gone back and installed stock modems but still the same thing - I have tried several different ROMS including paranoid and CM
any Ideas?
What kernels are you using?
So far Perseus Kernel has been the most reliable and snappiest kernel but will not work with CM10 or AOSP. Perseus and Jedi roms have been great combos. I didn't like the Saber kernel as I had issues with the 5 ghz band, as well as in and out Wi-Fi connectivity.

Today I'm going back to AOSP hoping they've added some features since the unofficial days, combined with the FORCE Kernel.

ALSO: Make sure you fully wipe your device when changing roms. It's not common for most people, but I format every partition when flashing. I have run into way fewer problems with that approach, but make sure you don't accidently reboot your device before flashing. You'll have to odin flash at that point.

Jerry D
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
any Ideas?
I think I know the Answer to your issue!.. Check out the Threads I stared, by clicking on my profile , in the SGS4G Forum..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1957920

Or try these two things.

1)If you are using WPS Connection Make sure you are holding Your WPS button for at least ten seconds before releasing it to ensure you "have it scanning Your Devise".. it had been so long for me between stock and custom I "Thought it only took 2 seconds..

2) AND MOST LIKELY YOUR ISSUE.. If you were using a "Password" and entering it forget entering it. The "Password" is no longer "working"

Instead. Click on your Wifi Icon on your laptop or PC. Then Left click Your Wifi Connection. Now Right click Properties. Now CHECK the box under network security key (you will have to be an Administrator to do this) and you will see YOUR WIFI SECURITY KEY ie (aed566fgd1cbi34hjk77i) and input that in as Your Password instead of the "old" Password you had which could have been your dogs name or your first cars name..

Sorry for the lack of technical directions..

Your password (I think) is no longer what you set it as. IT IS as what shows in your WIFI Properties Network Security Key on your Laptop/PC.

Let me know please.
"Without Order there is Chaos and ANYTHING Chaotic Destroys Itself"

m936a2
Old
(Last edited by m936a2; 20th February 2013 at 04:42 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
not looking for wi-fi calling - trying to figure why the wi-fi will not connect to my home wi-fi when installing custom roms I know the WEP password by heart and have tried several Roms - stock works - custom does not - I always do a clean install - I have had several androids - all rooted and find a clean install tends to work better - its not something installed later (apps) as it will not log in when i am setting up at first start up or after rebooting

I shut down wi-fi security on my router - still can not connect to it when open - tried 2 different custom roms

I am going to try a stock based custom rom and see if the problem continues - all the ones i tried are 4.2 ports or based on at&t roms
Frosty - based off stock LL4 works
JediX - based off 7105 rom does not work for me

m936a2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
none of the "stock" 7105 roms from teshxx are working for me - they install great - everything works but can not connect to any wi-fi

PhxDroid86
Old
Thanks Meter 104

Quote:
any Ideas?
While the phone is trying to connect to WiFi, unplug the router and plug it right back in, WiFi should allow you to connect when it's done resetting

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

tgamble160
Old
Thanks Meter 277

Could be a problem that started at root. I would odin back to stock reroot then try again. If it was settings or user error you would be making the same mistakes on stock roms. But you say it works on stock roms so it would seem that's not the case.

sent via note 2 in boss mode @ quad core 2 ghz
The Following User Says Thank You to tgamble160 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

m936a2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgamble160 View Post
Could be a problem that started at root. I would odin back to stock reroot then try again. If it was settings or user error you would be making the same mistakes on stock roms. But you say it works on stock roms so it would seem that's not the case.

sent via note 2 in boss mode @ quad core 2 ghz
I will try that tonight - thanks - I love paranoid roms - i have it on both my other phones(vibrant and sensation) and would like to get it working on my note

BACARDILIMON
Old
Thanks Meter 848

Quote:
any Ideas?
It def sounds like a issue with root or u have a bad phone internal.

Sent from my SGH-T889
LG G3 D851 BAD ASS