Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,529 Members 40,366 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[UPDATED] NV / 4G LTE Deployment Running List as of April 18th

Tip us?

tybo31316
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Default Re: [UPDATED] NV / 4G LTE Deployment Running List as of Feb 20th

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlinx View Post
I'd like to note that upgrading isn't a fast process... A lot of people wonder why lte doesnt hit the big cities .. its because they are a pain in the ass to upgrade.. so sprint is doing these major overhauls and rebuilding everything.. I work on AT&T towers and the process is slow.. I expect sprint to be even slower.. if you guys want me to explain the process lemme know.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Explain the process because a lot of these dudes don't understand and think that networks can be upgraded over night. Also no other carrier in the u.s is doing such an extensive upgrade as sprint is doing with their network.

Sent from my Nexus 7

celticking
Old
Thanks Meter 49

Los Angeles jumped 7% in a week's span. I'm seeing it all over the place now.
The Following User Says Thank You to celticking For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vacoray
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlinx View Post
I'd like to note that upgrading isn't a fast process... A lot of people wonder why lte doesnt hit the big cities .. its because they are a pain in the ass to upgrade.. so sprint is doing these major overhauls and rebuilding everything.. I work on AT&T towers and the process is slow.. I expect sprint to be even slower.. if you guys want me to explain the process lemme know.

yes splain lucy
Phone: HTC EVO LTE 4G
Rooted: DirtyRacun S-Off
Hardware: 0003
Recovery: TWRP 2.4.1.0
HBoot: 1.12.2222
Kernel: Stock
Radio: 1.12.11.1210
PRI: 2.97_003
Rom: MeanBean_3.02
Theme: Stock
32GB SD Card
2000 mAh battery

Genjinaro
Old
Thanks Meter 359

DONATE TO ME
Ironically in the past month or 2, the percentages have been moving up so the pace has picked back up somewhat.
XDA since 2007...

thlinx
Old
Thanks Meter 88

If this site is being built brand new, it can take a very long time.. most these sites already have very old technology so since its still up and running you can't take anything offline.. once they get the approval, they send out deliveries that have a very specific list for each site. Materials not only in the building but also for the tower crew.. once the deliveries arrive they are thoroughly inventoried. If you are working at a site 100miles in the middle of nowhere missing something is a very big deal.. every nut and bolt has a specific role.. First time I ever heard of 'aircraft washers" you can't really find these at your local hardware store. So very crucial to have all your supplies.. Different trades work together to complete the upgrade.. so for instance..

electricians, cable structure engineers, it techs, carrier techs, tower crew, wireless contractors whose sole purpose is to nit pick every single detail..

Anytime you go onto a site you have to call the carrier and give them access info, and what your going to be doing for that day.. so for instance tower crew would say "installing reh antennas" .. fill out safety form, ect.. and you can't even work yet till those are complete.. .

AT&T is very ocd about everything and any task for instance running ground wires to 700mhz (lte) radios has to be tied down with wax string only.. your bend radius can be 90 degrees or you fail your inspection.. so say your done with a site.. usually takes 1-2 weeks.. carrier tech performs an inspection and will gig you on any flaw on the site.. after 5 gigs the company who was responsible for the gigs, is 800 dollars.. but before that inspector comes out, you have 2 before him that try to help out the trades, see if there are any flaws and give them time to fix there issue.. sometimes fixing everything can take up to a week.. almost in month and the site still isn't complete.. After the rigorous inspections another trade comes into test the connections.. if there are fails they get the appropriate trade to fix the failed connectors.. that can take 2-3 days to fix and retest.. now you got the IT techs to install there stuff and configure the radios and make sure everything is working correctly.. once all that is complete than, they set it off to the outside world. So from start to finish one site roughly 2months.

Now they usually have 5 to 6 crews working on diff sites.. so yes very time consuming process.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thlinx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BrianBaker
Old
Thanks Meter 884

Orlando completion bumped up from November 2014 to July makes me a happy man..it's moving in the proper direction for now.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
<<I was a Victim of Apple patent #5,946,647>>
Rom:Stock-Unlocked

Kanes_Inferno
Old
Thanks Meter 47

Come on DFW 53% and counting!

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

polar2792
Old
Thanks Meter 173

Got lte in NC today

Kanes_Inferno
Old
Thanks Meter 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar2792 View Post
Got lte in NC today

Where at?

leebo
Old
Thanks Meter 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaw84 View Post
I heard they are watching your posts and just wanted you to be right, but since you keep changing your mind they keep delaying "launch".

But I digress. They are working in the LA area, no? They haven't completely ignored the area, yes?

Attachment 1734247

It could be worse, right? Ish happens.

That's life, it's not as big of a deal as you make it to be. Just saying.

Here's my area I for one am happy seeing as I'm in a second round market.

Attachment 1734244

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
Except I'm not predicting anything, really. Just trying to make a point.
By publishing a projected launch date, Sprint is telling people the service is "expected" to be available about then. If they miss by a month or two, no big deal.

If they miss by 6 months, that to me is a big deal. How many have signed up with Sprint based on the representation that LTE would be available soon? Um, I did. I could have switched to V or A when my contract was up, but Sprint represented their LTE would be available in my area shortly.

I purchased a new phone believing it would be able to use this new network, based on Sprint naming the phone HTC EVO "LTE". That was last June.

Even on those rare occasions when LTE shows up at the top of my screen, any data app I use reports, "No network connection". "Please try later".

Since Sprint doesn't pro-rate their ETF until 6 months into a contract, I'm stuck. My ranting is based on their hollow promises (I say promise because they're voluntarily publishing a schedule, nobody is forcing them).

I was attempting to be humorous but apparently failing. guess it's time to stop.

Btw, no, having a percentage isn't better than nothing if the results are the same.
And yeah, it could be worse. I could have been born with no arms. But this thread is about Sprint's LTE availability, or lack thereof.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
HTC EVO LTE - Stock Rooted
Escapee from AT&Crap