5,598,086 Members 41,453 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu released

Tip us?
 
Rocklee99
Old
#1  
Rocklee99's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 2,182
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Ubuntu released

With ubuntu released, is it possible to take it from the nexus devices over to here?

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

<CURRENT SETUP>

Click one to learn more!

Samsung Galaxy S4 MODS 3 Minit/ Xposed KERNEL KT-SGS4 Kernel RECOVERY TWRP ROM TriForce Rom

The Old:

Lockbars: GreenFlare Androids
Hit thanks if you like them!
 
Mr nerd
Old
#2  
Mr nerd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 231
Posts: 388
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Detroit

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Ubuntu released

No, its gsm based at the moment. So until its cdma. We can't use it

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
---------------------------------------------
Lg Optimus G: |
Rom: Stock ZVB |
Kernel:STOCK |
I AM NOT A DEVELOPER I Just like helping.
---------------------------------------------
Quote:
A reminder... I am not required to give anyone credit for anything, just as long as im not claiming credit for the work myself.
 
thatotherguy..
Old
#3  
thatotherguy..'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 369
Posts: 1,087
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Portland

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Ubuntu released

They have it ported on sprint gnex but I believe no data or something like that

Sent From My White Cricket LTEvo
 
Mr nerd
Old
#4  
Mr nerd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 231
Posts: 388
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Detroit

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Ubuntu released

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatotherguy.. View Post
They have it ported on sprint gnex but I believe no data or something like that

Sent From My White Cricket LTEvo
I really want to test it I kinda want it as a daily driver looks awesome plus ubuntu is amazing.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
---------------------------------------------
Lg Optimus G: |
Rom: Stock ZVB |
Kernel:STOCK |
I AM NOT A DEVELOPER I Just like helping.
---------------------------------------------
Quote:
A reminder... I am not required to give anyone credit for anything, just as long as im not claiming credit for the work myself.
 
thispaininmyhead
Old
#5  
thispaininmyhead's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 102
Join Date: Feb 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Ubuntu released

Once the cdma issue is fixed it should be rather easy porting since it uses cm10.1 as a base...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
 
TaintedByte
Old
#6  
TaintedByte's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 652
Posts: 795
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mesa, AZ
I must say, having tested it first hand that it is very ... interesting. I do like the OS itself, it's fluid and the best part is the pulldown settings (view video here if you don't know what I'm talking about) makes things much faster.

All that being said, it's clearly a very early build. There are a lot of bugs and it's clearly targeted towards developers and geeks like us. It is not ready for use as a daily driver (unless you like that sort of adventure). Also the lacks of apps at the moment really hurts it. I can't live without my basic apps (titanium backup and tasker).


﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏
Need help? First read the stickies, then search.

If someone helped you, click their thanks button!
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
 
polar2792
Old
#7  
polar2792's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 167
Posts: 853
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gastonia, NC
Default Re: Ubuntu released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Of All View Post
I must say, having tested it first hand that it is very ... interesting. I do like the OS itself, it's fluid and the best part is the pulldown settings (view video here if you don't know what I'm talking about) makes things much faster.

All that being said, it's clearly a very early build. There are a lot of bugs and it's clearly targeted towards developers and geeks like us. It is not ready for use as a daily driver (unless you like that sort of adventure). Also the lacks of apps at the moment really hurts it. I can't live without my basic apps (titanium backup and tasker).
Like ubuntu for pc's then. More geared towards geeks like us v

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
 
jesuscash
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 327
Posts: 1,053
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default Re: Ubuntu released

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar2792 View Post
Like ubuntu for pc's then. More geared towards geeks like us v

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
Ubuntu for pcs is aimed more towards your average Joe. The real geeky Linux is something like arch or slackware lol

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
 
luigi311
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 223
Posts: 1,082
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default Re: Ubuntu released

Yes it is as it takes cm as a base however they currently do not support cdma function as of right now but that will change. So the answer is yes it can be ported but u will not have any cellphone usuage which is y no-one is porting it here yet. I think Leo might be the only one but Idk if he has started yet or if he will port it hopefully he does since I wana try it

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
 
NKPStudios
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
I really hope that we can get ubuntu working, it is way better than android for sure

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Android Control Center Becomes Quick Control Panel, Brings Host of New Features

You may recall that back in August of last year, we talked … more

Polish Your Custom Themes with Theme Debugger

Creating a custom Android theme from scratch can be quite the laborious task. In addition to … more

Clean Up Your Logcat Code with Lib Cleaner

Some of you may think that writing code is the hardest part of development. It’s not, as the … more

Tweak Your Xperia Device’s Camera App Yourself

We’ve come to expect nearly perfect cameraperformancein our modern day … more