5,594,653 Members 32,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Jiayu G2S - "unofficial forum"

Tip us?

lelepanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If it can be usefull here some pictures taken in 3 different location and light condition.

xaikman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g2s/
thare are some new roms here, anyone tried them?

aladop
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yesterday I received mine and I am amazed at the quality and the performance of the G2s. Maybe in the near future we'll also get CM...
The CPU speed of 1,2GHZ is always there when needed, so most of the time the cpu speed ranges from 250 to 1001 mhz. I find it clever because it acts as a nice overclocking "on demand" without draining the battery.
Oh and by the way no jump screen problems. I ordered mine from Merimobiles and it came rooted along with a 16GB sd card in three weeks.
Definitely one the best buys in the Android world!

mupton0916
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default 3G Coverage

Bit of a noob question...

I'm interested in this phone, but will it work with any 3G providers in the US? It seems to only have WCDMA 2100 which means it wouldn't, but the GSM spectrum is fine. Am I missing something? It seems silly for a company to exclude a major audience like America by not putting in a 3G antenna that works here (too common a practice in Chinese phones it seems from looking around a little).

Thanks!

twrock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mupton0916 View Post
Bit of a noob question...

I'm interested in this phone, but will it work with any 3G providers in the US? It seems to only have WCDMA 2100 which means it wouldn't, but the GSM spectrum is fine. Am I missing something? It seems silly for a company to exclude a major audience like America by not putting in a 3G antenna that works here (too common a practice in Chinese phones it seems from looking around a little).

Thanks!
I would be very cautious of buying this phone for use in the US. I took my old Huawei U8220 (Pulse) to the US last year and got an AT&T SIM card for it. According to the phone specs and to AT&T themselves, it should have worked. But it would not connect to 3G no matter what we did. I eventually just bought a simple pre-paid phone to get me through, and used my Android phone as a PDA. No point paying the high AT&T rate for service I couldn't use.

You've got to understand that some of these Chinese companies are not targeting the US market in any way. They have a billion+ person market in their own country, and if they can get a good percentage of that market, they will be selling more phones than Apple sells iPhones. So instead little internet companies like the ones on Aliexpress or Etotalk deal with the International market. At least for now.....

If you want a Chinese phone but decent international support, consider Huawei or Lenovo or some other company that is already targeting the international market. And make sure the phone is made for sale in the US. At the moment, Jiayu is definitely not set up to deal with the US market. They don't even have anyone in customer service who can talk to you in English.

Just my $0.02 worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to twrock For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mupton0916
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by twrock View Post
I would be very cautious of buying this phone for use in the US. I took my old Huawei U8220 (Pulse) to the US last year and got an AT&T SIM card for it. According to the phone specs and to AT&T themselves, it should have worked. But it would not connect to 3G no matter what we did. I eventually just bought a simple pre-paid phone to get me through, and used my Android phone as a PDA. No point paying the high AT&T rate for service I couldn't use.

You've got to understand that some of these Chinese companies are not targeting the US market in any way. They have a billion+ person market in their own country, and if they can get a good percentage of that market, they will be selling more phones than Apple sells iPhones. So instead little internet companies like the ones on Aliexpress or Etotalk deal with the International market. At least for now.....

If you want a Chinese phone but decent international support, consider Huawei or Lenovo or some other company that is already targeting the international market. And make sure the phone is made for sale in the US. At the moment, Jiayu is definitely not set up to deal with the US market. They don't even have anyone in customer service who can talk to you in English.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Thanks for the input. I think I might avoid the issue entirely.

aladop
Old
Thanks Meter 0
OK, found a possible weak spot. It's the GPS consistency. After changing the (Chinese) gps.conf to something appropriate for Europe, it finds and connects to 9+ satellites but cannot stay connected. The various apps from the play store didn't help fixing this issue either. The navigation is jerky because the gps receiver keeps connecting and disconnecting randomly. I don't know if it's a radio problem, I wish I could flash another radio but our G2s is a new phone and not as supported as others. Has anyone tried flashing a different radio than the stock that really worked?

peron
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default Jiayu G2S - "unofficial forum"

The GPS on this phone is really bad, pretty much everybody have issues with it.

Three issues actually, initial fix, poor antenna and frequent disconnections.
For the first one there are several workarounds, the antenna can be improved with aluminum foil, the third is a deal killer.
Maybe the fix will be in a new rom.

I'm not aware of any alternative radios that can be flashed.
The chip used for GPS is MT6628 different than the one on the G3

StardustOne
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The weakest spot I found so far is the camera flash, this is merely a camera light than a flash. besides from that, the build quality is superb. Plus the camera does not have any Image Stabilizer.

It has really nice high resolution screen with decent color reproduction, actually this screen is much better than the one in my Galayx Nexus. My Galaxy Nexus cannot reproduce White Color, it's just light gray (e.g. when reading Google mail).

The all metal frame makes all the difference, this is not just painted plastic, it's real metal.

IvanX9
Old
(Last edited by IvanX9; 24th February 2013 at 09:28 AM.) Reason: Typing error
Thanks Meter 2
Default Ghost touches the screen using Whatsapp !!

Hello to everybody !

A week ago I recived my Jiayu G2S and everything seems to work perfect ( Compilation nš G2S 20130108-104044 ), don't have problem of the "shakin' touch screen" BUT.....

Have you noticed that when typing messages on Whatsapp for example, sometimes there are jumps in the screen ..... I mean:

When you are writing a message to a contact in whatsapp and suddenly the screen jumps to the contact profile image, as if we pressed the profile photo ... and is usually quite (VERY) annoying, we had written half message and suddenly mobile screen filled with the image of the profile of our contact.
It's as if the touch screen detected where none exist. As touches "ghost"
Someone else happens?

And this problem happens to at least 3 more people in our spanish forum ( with new G2S )

Thank you.