Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,180 Members 39,875 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NFS or SMB

Tip us?

suku_patel_22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 746
Default NFS or SMB

I have just ordered my RaspberryPi, and I plan on using it for below.

1. Connect my powered 2TB external HDD to it and make a NAS
2. Use it as a torrent client
3. Play movies on the HDD using XBMC
4. Run lightppd to share my files on the internet.

Coming to my questions
1. Would it be possible to install the distro on a separate partition one the HDD? I plan to format the HDD using ext4.
2. Will the little machine be able to handle the load of all 4 tasks?
3. Should I use NFS over SMB? I plan to access the files of the share on Linux, Windows and Android.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Tapatalked from Desire S running Andromadus

HTC One(Stock), Nexus 7(AOSPA/Franco), HTC Desire S(Fallout)
Thanks posts clutter, hit the "Thanks" button instead!
The Following User Says Thank You to suku_patel_22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZachOlauson
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
I have just ordered my RaspberryPi, and I plan on using it for below.

1. Connect my powered 2TB external HDD to it and make a NAS
2. Use it as a torrent client
3. Play movies on the HDD using XBMC
4. Run lightppd to share my files on the internet.

Coming to my questions
1. Would it be possible to install the distro on a separate partition one the HDD? I plan to format the HDD using ext4.
2. Will the little machine be able to handle the load of all 4 tasks?
3. Should I use NFS over SMB? I plan to access the files of the share on Linux, Windows and Android.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Tapatalked from Desire S running Andromadus

1: I would use a bootloader like BerryBoot to install the distro on the hard drive, I think its possible, Ive only installed on a flash drive and SD Card, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

2. It might be able to handle it but cant say for sure. On mine I am using XBMC and streaming movies from my desktop and I am using nearly 400mb of RAM but I think the CPU load is okay.

3. Not sure on this one, I use SMB but my laptop is broken so I dont have linux running on any of my machines, but Windows and Android works just fine, and I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote for XBMC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZachOlauson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Endoroid
Old
Thanks Meter 314
Default Re: NFS or SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachOlauson View Post
1: I would use a bootloader like BerryBoot to install the distro on the hard drive, I think its possible, Ive only installed on a flash drive and SD Card, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

2. It might be able to handle it but cant say for sure. On mine I am using XBMC and streaming movies from my desktop and I am using nearly 400mb of RAM but I think the CPU load is okay.

3. Not sure on this one, I use SMB but my laptop is broken so I dont have linux running on any of my machines, but Windows and Android works just fine, and I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote for XBMC.
SMB is compatible with linux and Windows natively, however if you intend to stream HD video at all NFS would be better. My NAS uses both, NFS to stream to my pi running xbmc, and samba for windows machines/android devices. I also running a upnp server for remote streaming to my phone.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

ratchetnclank
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Samba has slow speeds on the pi typically 7-8Mbps compared to the usual 25-40 i get from my drive.

Endoroid
Old
Thanks Meter 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetnclank View Post
Samba has slow speeds on the pi typically 7-8Mbps compared to the usual 25-40 i get from my drive.
I found samba had lag on HD vids. I still use samba on my windows and android devices, buti never stream HD to them

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

stephj
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 104
The Pi's 'ROM/BIOS' boot code attempts to bootstrap from the SD. If there is nothing where it expects it to be it won't start.

You would need some code to transfer startup to the external hard disk.

Imanol Barba
Old
Thanks Meter 0
AFAIK, the raspberry pi can boot partitions from an external USB drive, what it actually boots is the GPU executable which loads a kernel, then it can bootstrap an USB HDD.

For the SMB or NFS matter, NFS usually provides higher throughput than SMB, and Windows can mount NFS based hosts, I'd go for that if you plan to see some performance.

io53
Old
Thanks Meter 257

As said, NFS have smaller overhead than SMB. So use that if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

sioxz
Old
Thanks Meter 25
i have a Samba server and i can Stream Full HD whit no problems (maybe a littel slow in the Begining nothing more) 1TB 2.0USB HDD NTFS

instantnoodle
Old
Thanks Meter 0

So overall NFS is better than Samba?