App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more
Post Reply

NFS or SMB

23rd February 2013, 02:37 AM   |  #1  
suku_patel_22's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 747
 
2,165 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
I have just ordered my RaspberryPi, and I plan on using it for below.

1. Connect my powered 2TB external HDD to it and make a NAS
2. Use it as a torrent client
3. Play movies on the HDD using XBMC
4. Run lightppd to share my files on the internet.

Coming to my questions
1. Would it be possible to install the distro on a separate partition one the HDD? I plan to format the HDD using ext4.
2. Will the little machine be able to handle the load of all 4 tasks?
3. Should I use NFS over SMB? I plan to access the files of the share on Linux, Windows and Android.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Tapatalked from Desire S running Andromadus
The Following User Says Thank You to suku_patel_22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 03:46 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22

I have just ordered my RaspberryPi, and I plan on using it for below.

1. Connect my powered 2TB external HDD to it and make a NAS
2. Use it as a torrent client
3. Play movies on the HDD using XBMC
4. Run lightppd to share my files on the internet.

Coming to my questions
1. Would it be possible to install the distro on a separate partition one the HDD? I plan to format the HDD using ext4.
2. Will the little machine be able to handle the load of all 4 tasks?
3. Should I use NFS over SMB? I plan to access the files of the share on Linux, Windows and Android.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Tapatalked from Desire S running Andromadus


1: I would use a bootloader like BerryBoot to install the distro on the hard drive, I think its possible, Ive only installed on a flash drive and SD Card, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

2. It might be able to handle it but cant say for sure. On mine I am using XBMC and streaming movies from my desktop and I am using nearly 400mb of RAM but I think the CPU load is okay.

3. Not sure on this one, I use SMB but my laptop is broken so I dont have linux running on any of my machines, but Windows and Android works just fine, and I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote for XBMC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZachOlauson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 05:32 PM   |  #3  
Endoroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 314
 
1,457 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Re: NFS or SMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachOlauson

1: I would use a bootloader like BerryBoot to install the distro on the hard drive, I think its possible, Ive only installed on a flash drive and SD Card, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

2. It might be able to handle it but cant say for sure. On mine I am using XBMC and streaming movies from my desktop and I am using nearly 400mb of RAM but I think the CPU load is okay.

3. Not sure on this one, I use SMB but my laptop is broken so I dont have linux running on any of my machines, but Windows and Android works just fine, and I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote for XBMC.

SMB is compatible with linux and Windows natively, however if you intend to stream HD video at all NFS would be better. My NAS uses both, NFS to stream to my pi running xbmc, and samba for windows machines/android devices. I also running a upnp server for remote streaming to my phone.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium
24th February 2013, 02:25 AM   |  #4  
ratchetnclank's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
311 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Samba has slow speeds on the pi typically 7-8Mbps compared to the usual 25-40 i get from my drive.
24th February 2013, 09:18 AM   |  #5  
Endoroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 314
 
1,457 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Re: NFS or SMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetnclank

Samba has slow speeds on the pi typically 7-8Mbps compared to the usual 25-40 i get from my drive.

I found samba had lag on HD vids. I still use samba on my windows and android devices, buti never stream HD to them

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium
24th February 2013, 08:19 PM   |  #6  
stephj's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Bolton
Thanks Meter: 104
 
10
722 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
More
The Pi's 'ROM/BIOS' boot code attempts to bootstrap from the SD. If there is nothing where it expects it to be it won't start.

You would need some code to transfer startup to the external hard disk.
26th February 2013, 12:46 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
AFAIK, the raspberry pi can boot partitions from an external USB drive, what it actually boots is the GPU executable which loads a kernel, then it can bootstrap an USB HDD.

For the SMB or NFS matter, NFS usually provides higher throughput than SMB, and Windows can mount NFS based hosts, I'd go for that if you plan to see some performance.
26th February 2013, 02:50 PM   |  #8  
io53's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 257
 
757 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Re: NFS or SMB
As said, NFS have smaller overhead than SMB. So use that if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
2nd March 2013, 05:20 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
lidköping
Thanks Meter: 25
 
147 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
i have a Samba server and i can Stream Full HD whit no problems (maybe a littel slow in the Begining nothing more) 1TB 2.0USB HDD NTFS
5th March 2013, 05:26 PM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Re: NFS or SMB
So overall NFS is better than Samba?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes