No registration required

[HDplus - Mostly OBSOLETE] Hybrid SD for CM10/10.1 on the HDplus

OP leapinlar

24th February 2013, 05:04 AM   |  #61  
Flag Ohiopolis
Thanks Meter: 186

813 posts
Re: [HDplus] Hybrid SD for CM10/10.1 on the HDplus and Stock Dual Boot
Well, I don't have a lot of time to figure out what's going on, but when I pulled the tablet out for the first time today, it was in recovery trying (and failing) to install something. It looks like there was some in-bag button-mashing going on, but how it got into CWM in the first place, I don't know. It rebooted fine and I read a magazine in stock and put it away. Tonight after work I found it powered off. It booted right up with 75% battery left, but still, mysterious.

I'll still take it over the 99% reboots killing my battery.

Sent from my LT28at using xda premium
24th February 2013, 05:40 AM   |  #62  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,677

8,379 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosaur

Well, I don't have a lot of time to figure out what's going on, but when I pulled the tablet out for the first time today, it was in recovery trying (and failing) to install something. It looks like there was some in-bag button-mashing going on, but how it got into CWM in the first place, I don't know. It rebooted fine and I read a magazine in stock and put it away. Tonight after work I found it powered off. It booted right up with 75% battery left, but still, mysterious.

I'll still take it over the 99% reboots killing my battery.

Sent from my LT28at using xda premium

Were you in stock or CM10 when you put it away the first time before it ended up in recovery? Stock could have been trying to install an update, but when it tried to boot to stock recovery, it ended up in CWM and tried to install and of course it failed. I have had this happen. If you were not already in stock, CM10 could have spontaneously booted to stock where it then tried to update. I assume you are not running the pure 2/20 ROM so it would always reboot to SD.

Not sure what to think about stock powering off on its own.

Edit: What version of stock are you running?

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10 on Hybrid SD
Last edited by leapinlar; 24th February 2013 at 07:17 AM.
24th February 2013, 11:32 AM   |  #63  
Flag Ohiopolis

813 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Were you in stock or CM10 when you put it away the first time before it ended up in recovery? Stock could have been trying to install an update, but when it tried to boot to stock recovery, it ended up in CWM and tried to install and of course it failed. I have had this happen. If you were not already in stock, CM10 could have spontaneously booted to stock where it then tried to update. I assume you are not running the pure 2/20 ROM so it would always reboot to SD.

Not sure what to think about stock powering off on its own.

Edit: What version of stock are you running?

That's a possibility I hadn't considered. Before I found it in recovery, it was last in CM10. After that I was reading magazines in stock and put it away in stock, finding it powered off when I got back to it several hours later. I have seen at least one aborted update attempt while I was setting up the hybrid boot where the HD+ booted to stock recovery but the update didn't take. As of now I'm on stock 2.0.4 (and as mentioned farther back, manual update attempts tell me it's up to date even though it isn't) and CM10 2/20 with the 1/20 kernel.
24th February 2013, 04:34 PM   |  #64  

8,379 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosaur

That's a possibility I hadn't considered. Before I found it in recovery, it was last in CM10. After that I was reading magazines in stock and put it away in stock, finding it powered off when I got back to it several hours later. I have seen at least one aborted update attempt while I was setting up the hybrid boot where the HD+ booted to stock recovery but the update didn't take. As of now I'm on stock 2.0.4 (and as mentioned farther back, manual update attempts tell me it's up to date even though it isn't) and CM10 2/20 with the 1/20 kernel.

Then what you need to do is too use my latest OTA block method, either the AdAway manual method or the CWM zip method. It will prevent those update attempts.

Since you are on the 1/20 kernel, a spontaneous reboot would take you to stock. And from what I have read the 2/20 ROM still does that occasionally even on Hybrid. And there may have been some button mashing in your bag too. And since you had that stock power off you may have a hardware glitch that causes reboots.

24th February 2013, 11:23 PM   |  #65  
Flag Ohiopolis

813 posts
Today was reboot-free with a virtually identical use scenario. I was listening to an audiobook in CM10 last night, plugged in for a little while this morning, booted over to stock on the train to work to read a magazine, put the tablet away for the rest of the day, and just now I pulled it out and it's still on stock w/ a 75% charge. I'm going to ride it out and see if the issues recur.
25th February 2013, 02:08 AM   |  #66  
Flag monument
Thanks Meter: 65

499 posts
More
twrp recovery
hey just want to say thanks for all the work on the hybrid dual boot leapinlar
i was wondering if you might be able to work on a version of the hybrid recovery but instead of cwm in twrp?
if its not possible its totally fine i was just thinking it would be a lot easier to use and a lot quicker to use (and cooler)
once again thanks for porting over that hybrid method from the hd to hd+
25th February 2013, 02:25 AM   |  #67  

8,379 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachinater

hey just want to say thanks for all the work on the hybrid dual boot leapinlar
i was wondering if you might be able to work on a version of the hybrid recovery but instead of cwm in twrp?
if its not possible its totally fine i was just thinking it would be a lot easier to use and a lot quicker to use (and cooler)
once again thanks for porting over that hybrid method from the hd to hd+

I tried and failed, so sticking with CWM.

25th February 2013, 01:04 PM   |  #68  
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Why is that?

Sent from my Nook HD running CM10.1 on Hybrid SD

I like to be able to just use an SD-card to transfer media-files from my PC. I find it easier (and faster) than connecting the Nook.
This way I could have some SD-cards for movies or TV-shows with me while travelling.

It's not a vital thing, would just be more convenient for me!
26th February 2013, 01:28 AM   |  #69  
Columbus
Thanks Meter: 61

324 posts
More
I have a question regarding updating cm10, on hybrid. If I understand correctly, the hybrid fix that allows the easy boot between Cm10 and stock replaces the kernel with an older version, so is there any point in installing the updates?

I'm just curious because If it's a choice between experiencing the new version of cm (which I believe I just saw that there's an update on that thread but haven't read it yet) and having easy booting into stock, I'm thinking at least for now I'll forego that zip that switches the kernel.

Oh, and just so you know, leapinlar, I am currently using the hackers keyboard you recommended on the other thread. I like it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation. I prefer it already and don't even miss the other swype-like keyboard I was using. I love having the number keys easily accessible, and the arrows, as well as the word choices displayed above the keyboard. I even like the fact that it automatically capitalizes the word "I"!

Lol. Anyway, I'm going to go read that other thread and download the new version of cm10.

Sent using my nook HD+ running cm10 hybrid SD from Tapatalk HD
26th February 2013, 01:41 AM   |  #70  

8,379 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaulien

I have a question regarding updating cm10, on hybrid. If I understand correctly, the hybrid fix that allows the easy boot between Cm10 and stock replaces the kernel with an older version, so is there any point in installing the updates?

If his only mods were to the kernel and nothing else, there is no point updating if you are going to apply the fix to take it back to the older kernel. But his 2/20 rom had more than kernel tweaks. It had a change to the rotation sensor which is in a library file that you still get. So I updated to his 2/20 and put the 1/20 kernel back on it.

Plus any new update always includes upstream (meaning those from the CM team) changes. They never change anything in the kernel though. That is entirely up to verygreen.

Edit: On that Hackers keyboard, there are so many things you can customize, like overall keyboard size in both portrait and landscape, letter sizes in the keyboard, etc.

Last edited by leapinlar; 26th February 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dual boot, hdplus
Previous Thread Next Thread