5,604,859 Members 33,592 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][APR 12] MultiROM v23

Tip us?

AssailantLF@gmail.com
Old
(Last edited by AssailantLF@gmail.com; 23rd February 2013 at 08:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
This MultiROM business is amazing. Now switching between Android versions is easy, testing new roms and archiving them is a breeze, and I can even dual boot all this stuff including Linux and the new Ubuntu Touch.

Pretty badass, but I only just installed it a day or so ago. I was just curious if there was any way to have two/more roms share apps and data in the same way that kernels can be shared?

markbencze
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4057

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [WiFi&3G] MultiROM v8 (new recovery for Ubuntu Touch)

Why doesn't ubuntu show up in my rom list? It installed properly when I flashed it but not on my rom list? Clearly I'm missing a step. Where's capitan obvious? Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361682513166.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	1756067Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361682513166.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	1756067 somewhereAttachment 1756057

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

sent from my.....

Jedi powered Note 3

markbencze
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4057

DONATE TO ME

Wow sorry didn't mean to upload that pc 3 times. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361682664796.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1756078

sent from my.....

Jedi powered Note 3

J_Caselles
Old
(Last edited by J_Caselles; 24th February 2013 at 10:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12

You know what would be awesome too? To have a list of kernels alongside the ROMs list, then being able to choose which kernel do you want to load with the ROM you want to boot. Of course, it may not be compatible with the ROM chosen, but it may be interesting when testing diferent kernels in one same compatible ROM.

Enviat des del meu Nexus 7 usant Tapatalk 2

sgt. meow
Old
(Last edited by sgt. meow; 24th February 2013 at 10:57 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2618
@OP
If I understand correctly the secondary ROM is installed on a folder or to IMGs to which the partitions are mounted, and thus no problems are faced, right?
I am working on a kernel with something similar but I won't use a recovery and it will be limited to triple-booting (for now) with no Ubuntu support.
What I will do is bind the /system to a folder to which system.img is mounted and the same thing for data and cache. So basically the secondary ROM files are installed to a folder anywhere and the IMGs pick up those files and boot up.
My question is:
a) Do you think anything will get broken in the secondary ROM because of this?
b) I am executing a script called by init.delta.rc that makes the N7 boot using the IMGs. Do I need to edit anything in the init.rc as you have done?
I can't test it right away, but I have the code ready.
Just waiting for an answer to my question.

Good luck with your work.
sgt. meow

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho7noezbf3ph0l6/CrossMiranda.png
R.I.P. Miranda Nicole
An innocent soul, who deserved to live a lot longer. We all miss you.

R.I.P Alif Shahriar
A true friend, no longer here in this world, but always there in our hearts. We sorely miss you.

Owner and creator of Oxydo kernels for Nexus 7 2012 (Grouper/Tilapia) and Xperia X8 (Shakira)
Maintainer of AOSPAL for Nexus 7 2012 (Grouper).

My blog: http://alltheengsawesumz.blogspot.com/
Circle or chat: https://plus.google.com/+FayadChowdhury

GreenChris
Old
(Last edited by GreenChris; 25th February 2013 at 05:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Question Running Ubuntu-Desktop from USB-Drive

Hey Guys,
when I try to install Ubuntu Desktop on my USB Drive it stucks at creating root.img (for over 2 hours now), I am using multirom v8 and the 16GB version of Nexus 7. It's a 64GB USB3 Stick, formatted as NFTS. Do you know how to fix this?
I have another question... is it possible to install the packed Linux ZIPs for Plasma, Arc and WebOS on usb stick?

Sorry for my bad english and thank you for your work.

EDIT-1:
Someone who has less then 10 posts on XDA so he can't post in Dev Section told me that NFTS is mounted as Read-Only. I formatted the Stick asFAT32 now, and it works now.

lebrac
Old
(Last edited by lebrac; 24th February 2013 at 02:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Default R: [WiFi&3G] MultiROM v8 (new recovery for Ubuntu Touch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChris View Post
I have another question... is it possible to install the packed Linux ZIPs for Plasma, Arc and WebOS on usb stick?
I would like to know too...

J_Caselles
Old
(Last edited by J_Caselles; 24th February 2013 at 03:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChris View Post
Hey Guys,
when I try to install Ubuntu Desktop on my USB Drive it stucks at creating root.img (for over 2 hours now), I am using multirom v8 and the 16GB version of Nexus 7. It's a 64GB USB3 Stick, formatted as NFTS. Do you know how to fix this?

Sorry for my bad english and thank you for your work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebrac
I would like to know too...
Regarding the second question, it is not possible, unless there is some way I'm not aware of to make a backup of the ROMs other than internal. Actually, this could be a nice feature for next updates of MultiROM.

Ultimately, you can always make a backup of your internal ROM, flash those Linux NOT with MultiROM ZIPs but the normal ones provided by their developers, try to make a backup of those if it is possible (not sure about that), Restore your Internal Android ROM, and flash those backups with multiROM to your USB stick.

about your first question, may you post your entire flashing procedure for us to make sure you're flashing it correctly?

lebrac
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default R: [WiFi&3G] MultiROM v8 (new recovery for Ubuntu Touch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Caselles View Post
Regarding the second question, I supose you could flash them to internal memory as this ZIPs are meant, do a backup, and flash again this backup to USB. The only doubt I have is wether it is possible to do a backup of these ROMs or you can only backup Android ROMs. Gonna try it myself right now

about your first question, may you post your entire flashing procedure for us to make sure you're flashing it correctly?
I think that you can only backup android roms...I've also tried to build myself the root directory extracting the image of plasmaa active and add the rom_info file (as Tassadar explains in gifthub)
The recovery sees the rom in the usb but it gives an error booting it up...Something regarding the initframs which can't be found

markbencze
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4057

DONATE TO ME

Ok I figured out why rom wasn't showing up on multi rom screen and fixed that

How do bi install the kexec hard boot kernal? I'm sure bits incredibly easy and basic but im not 100% sure about it. I have downloaded it to my device but not sure what to do. I'm getting the error that it's needed to load the rom.

sent from my.....

Jedi powered Note 3

Tags
dualboot, multiboot, multirom, ubuntu