Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,494 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Considering Photon Q...for T-mobile?

Tip us?

k1darkknight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Considering Photon Q...for T-mobile?

Okay, so...I've been looking at numerous slider phones, and the Photon Q is the one that's probably the closest to my ideal phone that I've yet seen. I currently have Cricket, but T-Mobile's Value Plans seem to be the best deal for my needs. I know that the Photon Q supports both CDMA and GSM, but can it be unlocked to actually work on T-Mobile's network? It seems T-Mobile requires the 1700 MHz band for their 3G service, but not for their (current) 4G. Would this phone work in 4G areas, at 4G speeds, then?
Also, if I understand correctly, using GSM on the Photon Q isn't as simple as just popping in a SIM card. Apparently, Motorola has opted for a hard-soldered SIM, so if you want to switch to a network that SIM card doesn't support, you have to do some soldering (or get someone else to do so). If this is the case, it's pretty close to a dealbraker for me, though I MIGHT still go for it, if I can definitely find someone who can get it to work with T-Mobile.

arrrghhh
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3381

DONATE TO ME
Well, you are correct about the hard-soldered SIM.

See this thread about what the hack entails.

Now, to my knowledge - this hack has only been done OUTSIDE of the US. I would think since you're physically putting your SIM in place of the Sprint-specific SIM, that it would work... but I don't think anyone has actually done it yet.

Just be cautious. You seem to have done your homework.

k1darkknight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Cool...checking that thread now. If anyone knows if this is possible to do with T-Mobile USA, or if anyone actually HAS done this, PLEASE let me know! T-Mo does have a phone I'd settle for, if this can't be done, and I'd seriously consider it, since it'd be less risky. But if this can be done reliably and without issues, I'd slightly prefer going this route, even if mostly just for the bigger screen.

k1darkknight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
And for that matter...since I don't already have service with T-Mobile, and I'd be starting NEW service...is there something about the SIM that's soldered on, that makes it unusable for T-Mobile? Wouldn't there be some information I'd be able to get from the built-in SIM that I could tell them, in order to activate THAT SIM with their service?

arrrghhh
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3381

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1darkknight View Post
And for that matter...since I don't already have service with T-Mobile, and I'd be starting NEW service...is there something about the SIM that's soldered on, that makes it unusable for T-Mobile? Wouldn't there be some information I'd be able to get from the built-in SIM that I could tell them, in order to activate THAT SIM with their service?
The build-in SIM is for international roaming....

You would have to put a TMobile SIM in. Make sense?

k1darkknight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Yeah...just wasn't sure if it was preprogrammed, and unable to be re-programmed. Anyway, I'm leaning toward the phone that T-Mobile DOES carry, that's almost as good, just not QUITE as big a screen, and just SLIGHTLY lower resolution. But looks to be good enough. (Samsung Galaxy S Relay)

Skrilax_CZ
Old
(Last edited by Skrilax_CZ; 17th February 2013 at 09:01 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1340

DONATE TO ME
Few notes: On Droid 4 (which has normal microSIM card) other US carriers are SIM locked by the modem software (the rest of World works) - so some risk is there too. Additionally as far as I know, T-Mobile US has mostly 3G on 1700 MHz, while Photon Q supports 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - so you'll have trouble with 3G. Also LTE is on 1900 MHz which is emplyoed only by Sprint as I read, so no avail there either on T-Mobile. Additionally, it looks like Photon Q has no EDGE, so you'll enjoy nice 2.5G most of the time, unless you are in the 1900 MHz area for 3G.
PRIVATE MESSAGES regarding firmwares / support will NOT BE ANSWERED!

Motorola Photon Q
Bootloader: 10.9B
Firmware: CM 11.0

Motorola Droid MAXX
Bootloader: 30.B0
Firmware: Stock 4.4

Acer Iconia A500
Bootloader: V9 0.03.14-MUL (dualboot + recovery + extfs boot + bootmenu)
Android: TegraOwnders JB-MR1 v13
LUbuntu: 13.04

2nd-init for Locked Bootloaders

Acer Iconia A500 / A501 Patched Bootloader Thread

Motorola Phones Stock Firmwares

You may donate me if you like my work.

The Madvillan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilax_CZ View Post
Few notes: On Droid 4 (which has normal microSIM card) other US carriers are SIM locked by the modem software (the rest of World works) - so some risk is there too. Additionally as far as I know, T-Mobile US has mostly 3G on 1700 MHz, while Photon Q supports 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - so you'll have trouble with 3G. Also LTE is on 1900 MHz which is emplyoed only by Sprint as I read, so no avail there either on T-Mobile. Additionally, it looks like Photon Q has no EDGE, so you'll enjoy nice 2.5G most of the time, unless you are in the 1900 MHz area for 3G.
Quite the dream crusher. This would have been the perfect phone for me if I were able to just flash it over to T Mobile for service in the US. Humph, guess I'll finally have to go for a fully touch phone (yuck) or just keep the current lame thing I have (Galaxy Indulge on MetroPCS :l ) until I find something remotely better.

PassingThruLife
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Why not try a droid 4,i know there is a way to get that working on gsm carriers.

Im currently using a droid 3 that works on gsm carriers and its pretty good.im running it on att and the only comparable slider on att is the captivate glide.

i would love to be able to use a photon q on att but there does not seem to be an easy way to do it...

huatz84
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Droid 4 has simcard slot for GSM and with some mods,I can use RUIM CDMA. It also has HSDPA and Evdo revB support. Really an all in one phone. but,I heard the GSM won't work on USA. I'm ordering a Photon Q. I hope it's better than my D4. I know I have to mod the hardware to use slot simcard. So,I might pass it and using CDMA only via flashing my own carrier.
Using :
- Motorola Photon Q Sprint XT897c..
- Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Verizon XT926