Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Considering Photon Q...for T-mobile?

OP k1darkknight

14th February 2013, 06:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Norman, OK
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
Okay, so...I've been looking at numerous slider phones, and the Photon Q is the one that's probably the closest to my ideal phone that I've yet seen. I currently have Cricket, but T-Mobile's Value Plans seem to be the best deal for my needs. I know that the Photon Q supports both CDMA and GSM, but can it be unlocked to actually work on T-Mobile's network? It seems T-Mobile requires the 1700 MHz band for their 3G service, but not for their (current) 4G. Would this phone work in 4G areas, at 4G speeds, then?
Also, if I understand correctly, using GSM on the Photon Q isn't as simple as just popping in a SIM card. Apparently, Motorola has opted for a hard-soldered SIM, so if you want to switch to a network that SIM card doesn't support, you have to do some soldering (or get someone else to do so). If this is the case, it's pretty close to a dealbraker for me, though I MIGHT still go for it, if I can definitely find someone who can get it to work with T-Mobile.
14th February 2013, 07:17 AM   |  #2  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,625

11,354 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, you are correct about the hard-soldered SIM.

See this thread about what the hack entails.

Now, to my knowledge - this hack has only been done OUTSIDE of the US. I would think since you're physically putting your SIM in place of the Sprint-specific SIM, that it would work... but I don't think anyone has actually done it yet.

Just be cautious. You seem to have done your homework.
14th February 2013, 04:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Norman, OK

14 posts
More
Cool...checking that thread now. If anyone knows if this is possible to do with T-Mobile USA, or if anyone actually HAS done this, PLEASE let me know! T-Mo does have a phone I'd settle for, if this can't be done, and I'd seriously consider it, since it'd be less risky. But if this can be done reliably and without issues, I'd slightly prefer going this route, even if mostly just for the bigger screen.
14th February 2013, 04:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Norman, OK

14 posts
More
And for that matter...since I don't already have service with T-Mobile, and I'd be starting NEW service...is there something about the SIM that's soldered on, that makes it unusable for T-Mobile? Wouldn't there be some information I'd be able to get from the built-in SIM that I could tell them, in order to activate THAT SIM with their service?
14th February 2013, 09:49 PM   |  #5  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,625

11,354 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1darkknight

And for that matter...since I don't already have service with T-Mobile, and I'd be starting NEW service...is there something about the SIM that's soldered on, that makes it unusable for T-Mobile? Wouldn't there be some information I'd be able to get from the built-in SIM that I could tell them, in order to activate THAT SIM with their service?

The build-in SIM is for international roaming....

You would have to put a TMobile SIM in. Make sense?
15th February 2013, 01:35 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Norman, OK

14 posts
More
Yeah...just wasn't sure if it was preprogrammed, and unable to be re-programmed. Anyway, I'm leaning toward the phone that T-Mobile DOES carry, that's almost as good, just not QUITE as big a screen, and just SLIGHTLY lower resolution. But looks to be good enough. (Samsung Galaxy S Relay)
17th February 2013, 09:59 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 1,348

900 posts
Donate to Me
More
Few notes: On Droid 4 (which has normal microSIM card) other US carriers are SIM locked by the modem software (the rest of World works) - so some risk is there too. Additionally as far as I know, T-Mobile US has mostly 3G on 1700 MHz, while Photon Q supports 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - so you'll have trouble with 3G. Also LTE is on 1900 MHz which is emplyoed only by Sprint as I read, so no avail there either on T-Mobile. Additionally, it looks like Photon Q has no EDGE, so you'll enjoy nice 2.5G most of the time, unless you are in the 1900 MHz area for 3G.
Last edited by Skrilax_CZ; 17th February 2013 at 10:01 PM.
24th February 2013, 08:10 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilax_CZ

Few notes: On Droid 4 (which has normal microSIM card) other US carriers are SIM locked by the modem software (the rest of World works) - so some risk is there too. Additionally as far as I know, T-Mobile US has mostly 3G on 1700 MHz, while Photon Q supports 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - so you'll have trouble with 3G. Also LTE is on 1900 MHz which is emplyoed only by Sprint as I read, so no avail there either on T-Mobile. Additionally, it looks like Photon Q has no EDGE, so you'll enjoy nice 2.5G most of the time, unless you are in the 1900 MHz area for 3G.

Quite the dream crusher. This would have been the perfect phone for me if I were able to just flash it over to T Mobile for service in the US. Humph, guess I'll finally have to go for a fully touch phone (yuck) or just keep the current lame thing I have (Galaxy Indulge on MetroPCS :l ) until I find something remotely better.
24th February 2013, 12:21 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 8

279 posts
Why not try a droid 4,i know there is a way to get that working on gsm carriers.

Im currently using a droid 3 that works on gsm carriers and its pretty good.im running it on att and the only comparable slider on att is the captivate glide.

i would love to be able to use a photon q on att but there does not seem to be an easy way to do it...
24th February 2013, 02:01 PM   |  #10  
Flag Binjai,North Sumatra
Thanks Meter: 224

731 posts
Droid 4 has simcard slot for GSM and with some mods,I can use RUIM CDMA. It also has HSDPA and Evdo revB support. Really an all in one phone. but,I heard the GSM won't work on USA. I'm ordering a Photon Q. I hope it's better than my D4. I know I have to mod the hardware to use slot simcard. So,I might pass it and using CDMA only via flashing my own carrier.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread