5,598,908 Members 30,739 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ram

Tip us?
 
kaspar737
Old
#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 421
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default Re: [Q] Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelator View Post
Well, **** I think that they should have let it take away RAM from the user, I keep like 15 tabs open at all times and only having 1.2gigs free causes the browser to run out of memory and crash.
Weird, Android should keep all tabs open and reload them if you want to see them. My phone does exactly that.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app
 
styckx
Old
(Last edited by styckx; 24th February 2013 at 11:39 AM.) Reason: fixed auto spelling correction mistake.. Bane of my existence.
#12  
styckx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1454
Posts: 2,800
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelator View Post
Well, **** I think that they should have let it take away RAM from the user, I keep like 15 tabs open at all times and only having 1.2gigs free causes the browser to run out of memory and crash.
15 tabs open is considered excessive on a laptop and low end desktops. Let alone a tablet. As is the case though when it was allowed to rob from the userspace RAM is it was fragmenting it.. Which in a lot of cases probably left you with less usable RAM then you get now.

Fragmented RAM = There is free RAM but because it isnt a contiguous block the OS can't use it. It's sits there completely wasted until x-y-z happens.

Two great pictures showing what fragmented memory is and why it's a problem. These are about Netware servers but the same principles apply.. Fragmentation = Bad and a waste of space.

External Fragmentation



Internal Fragmentation

Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED
The Following User Says Thank You to styckx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Fidelator
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 86
Posts: 476
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
15 tabs open is considered excessive on a laptop and low end desktops. Let alone a tablet. As is the case though when it was allowed to rob from the userspace RAM is it was fragmenting it.. Which in a lot of cases probably left you with less usable RAM then you get now.

Fragmented RAM = There is free RAM but because it isnt a contiguous block the OS can't use it. It's sits there completely wasted until x-y-z happens.

Two great pictures showing what fragmented memory is and why it's a problem. These are about Netware servers but the same principles apply.. Fragmentation = Bad and a waste of space.

External Fragmentation



Internal Fragmentation

I usually keep at least 25 tabs open in my first gen i5 laptop without problems (I have 6gbs of RAM though).
And damn that sucks, but would the the unusable RAM ever reach 400mbs?
 
styckx
Old
#14  
styckx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1454
Posts: 2,800
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelator View Post
I usually keep at least 25 tabs open in my first gen i5 laptop without problems (I have 6gbs of RAM though).
And damn that sucks, but would the the unusable RAM ever reach 400mbs?
That I can't answer.. I just would be illogically guessing at that point.

Yeah, extra RAM helps on the PC end of things with browser tabs.. It can start bogging down on the CPU though with ads, flash, and scripts running. My ADD can't deal with more then 4 tabs at once.. I'd go nuts with 25.
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED
 
iamikon
Old
#15  
iamikon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1376
Posts: 1,581
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [Q] Ram

I would also suggest a lighterweight browser. I use lightning browser mostly. And chrome beta only when a page doesn't render something properly in lightning.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Help me by helping yourself.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes