Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Pokémon Gold deleting save file

OP Remcotjuuh

24th February 2013, 12:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijverdal, the Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 60

397 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey,

Since this is off-topic I guess I can ask this question here.

I bought a Pokémon Gold cardridge for my Gameboy Advance yesterday and now I have a problem with the save files: every time I take out the cardrigde, the save file is deleted. I use my Gameboy only for this game right now, so not being able to take it out won't be a problem, but I'd still like to know the cause. As the game does save normally, I don't think the internal battery has died.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by Remcotjuuh; 24th February 2013 at 12:52 PM.
24th February 2013, 01:14 PM   |  #2  
Rupert
Thanks Meter: 160

866 posts
More
That sounds like a dead battery to me - when you remove the cartridge the SRAM is no longer powered - so while you were able to save while it was powered, the battery is not keeping it powered once it's removed. I would test it and make a save game file, leave it in the GBA and leave it overnight and see what happens.

Pokemon Gold is getting old enough that there's a very good chance the original battery isn't doing so hot any more. I believe that generation of Pokemon especially had battery issues due to the real-time clock.

This is not directly helpful and you may have considered it already, but have you thought about using an emulator to play the game on your phone ?

I did this recently on my S3 and the controls translate well to touch-screen use. The ROMs are very small, too ! The GBC ones are only ~2Mb and GBA are usually 5-10Mb. Transferring my games to my phone was just another way to consolidate and make life simpler / more fun / easier.
24th February 2013, 02:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

397 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have thought about playing using emulators, but playing it on a Gameboy gives it a way more authentic feeling. I guess I'll have to take it back to the store then .
24th February 2013, 04:46 PM   |  #4  
Flag Manama
Thanks Meter: 203

2,722 posts
More
Re: [Q] Pokémon Gold deleting save file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennycake

That sounds like a dead battery to me - when you remove the cartridge the SRAM is no longer powered - so while you were able to save while it was powered, the battery is not keeping it powered once it's removed. I would test it and make a save game file, leave it in the GBA and leave it overnight and see what happens.

Pokemon Gold is getting old enough that there's a very good chance the original battery isn't doing so hot any more. I believe that generation of Pokemon especially had battery issues due to the real-time clock.

This is not directly helpful and you may have considered it already, but have you thought about using an emulator to play the game on your phone ?

I did this recently on my S3 and the controls translate well to touch-screen use. The ROMs are very small, too ! The GBC ones are only ~2Mb and GBA are usually 5-10Mb. Transferring my games to my phone was just another way to consolidate and make life simpler / more fun / easier.

I defiently agree with u the emulators are better! When i had gameboy advance all the games i bought my save files wont save! Dont know if the cartridges or gameboy has problem?!?!

Sent from my GT-S5660 using xda app-developers app
24th February 2013, 07:03 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

397 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman38102

I defiently agree with u the emulators are better! When i had gameboy advance all the games i bought my save files wont save! Dont know if the cartridges or gameboy has problem?!?!

I never had any problem with my Gameboy Advance, so I guess it's your Gameboy and not the games.

24th February 2013, 07:11 PM   |  #6  
Flag Manama
Thanks Meter: 203

2,722 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remcotjuuh

I never had any problem with my Gameboy Advance, so I guess it's your Gameboy and not the games.

U think so? Cuz i bought newly and the model was old the first gameboy advance without backlight I know i was dumb that time my mom bought it for me as a gift and it used to work great but after a year the problems started occurring. Thought at first it would be feature not supported for this model. Thanks anyway its been 5 years since i bought it so i dont care!

24th February 2013, 08:45 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

397 posts
Donate to Me
More
If all games acted weird I think it is your gameboy, yes, because I think it is really strange if all games won't save anymore and the problem is not with the Gameboy itself. And even if you have one of the oldest Gameboys, all functions of the game should work properly.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread