Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Desktop apps ported to Windows RT

Tip us?

bartekxyz
Old
(Last edited by bartekxyz; 21st February 2013 at 07:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven View Post
quake3 has a directx port somewhere but I think it was DX9 rather than DX11 so that might be equally problematic.
You are correct. And about opengl, I think that official Microsoft's support(drivers etc) would be the only solution and that's never going to happen.

on topic: I'm going to wrestle a bit with VCMI which is HOMM3 engine recreation. Bet some of you would be very happy seeing it on RT devices(I'm looking at you GoodDayToDie)

TheDeitz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
So... I'm thinking it might be good to spawn a new thread expressly for people to request ports (and developers/porters to offer their services), if that's what they want to do; I had intended this thread to be more focused on announcing and discussing them and it's become a bit too large and unwieldy to look through everything on it.

With that said, to answer the question about OpenGL (not really on topic; there's at least one other thread concerned with the actual process of porting): Not likely any time soon. It's possible to translate OpenGL calls to Direct3D calls - Wine does the reverse for *nix systems to run Windows apps - but it's a massive project that requires a lot work. Even then, the compatibility is often somewhat lacking (transparent textures, or missing lights, or z-buffer problems, etc.) due to bugs that are inevitable in something that big. Ideally would get an actual OGL driver (shader compiler, libraries, etc.) for RT, but don't hold your breath. It would probably be to Microsoft's benefit to make it happen, because it would make porting games from other platforms a lot easier, but Microsoft still has 90s mentality of "developers always write for our stuff first; why should we make it easy for them to port to other platforms?" even though the exact opposite is now true in mobile devices, and it's hurting them.
Thank you for the explanation, It is too bad MS doesn't just release a driver like you said because it would definitely bring more development. It's crazy how much potential Windows RT has in store, maybe Microsoft will figure it out one day?

And by the way, yes, opening a new thread exclusively for requests would be beneficial.

windowsrtc
Old
Thanks Meter 31
FB Alpha RT
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxx7wpu1hj...fba_vs2010.zip

source:https://github.com/tmaul/FB-Alpha
home:http://www.barryharris.me.uk/

note:all dinput commented out
The Following User Says Thank You to windowsrtc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

netham45
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 529

DONATE TO ME
Here's Boost

Please don't download it unless you actually plan on using it, it's 500+MB, and I don't want my dropbox suspended.
Don't PM me for help, post on the forums. I won't respond to basic questions.

I wrote and maintain the jailbreak scripts for Windows RT.

Tablet: Microsoft Surface RT 32GB, Type Keyboard
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note III

Helpful Windows RT Links:
Windows RT Jailbreak Tool
List of ported apps
Disabling Windows Update
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to netham45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by netham45 View Post
Here's Boost

Please don't download it unless you actually plan on using it, it's 500+MB, and I don't want my dropbox suspended.
Could use something like mediafire instead.

juanpa74
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default MP3Ext please?

Hello,
I have no experience in compiling or developing so I am asking.
Could anybody try to do this one?
Here is a link for the source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3e...mp3ext_3.4.25/

Thanks.

TheDeitz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWebus View Post
Can anyone give me a link to a how-to guide on how to get the recompiled apps to work. Cant find what I'm looking for in the FAQ or I'm just missing it.
You must jailbreak your RT device before installing recompiled apps.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092158

thomaswebdesigner
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can some one convert Photoshop?

Can anyone convert photoshop?

netham45
Old
(Last edited by netham45; 24th February 2013 at 11:48 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 529

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswebdesigner View Post
Seriously? Photoshop? Read the first two posts.

Can we please get this marked as a developer section so these idiots with 1 or 2 posts stop posting here?
Don't PM me for help, post on the forums. I won't respond to basic questions.

I wrote and maintain the jailbreak scripts for Windows RT.

Tablet: Microsoft Surface RT 32GB, Type Keyboard
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note III

Helpful Windows RT Links:
Windows RT Jailbreak Tool
List of ported apps
Disabling Windows Update
The Following User Says Thank You to netham45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswebdesigner View Post
Do you lack the ability to read the original post. In order to port an application we need the original source code. On an expensive piece of software like photoshop that is not going to happen. You are 100% guaranteed that if you have to pay for a piece of software that we cannot port it.

Closest you are ever going to have is GIMP maybe. One day. Too many dependencies right now

Tags
arm, rtdesktopapps, windowsrt