5,594,341 Members 38,003 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

?Android OS with a tile based home screen, WTF?

Tip us?

geddeeee
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Android... the fat cousin at the wedding...

Horrible OS. It's a phone, FFS!!! Look at all the customization options we have... Is that to hide the fact it doesn't work properly???

MadManMark
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by geddeeee View Post
Android... the fat cousin at the wedding...

Horrible OS. It's a phone, FFS!!! Look at all the customization options we have... Is that to hide the fact it doesn't work properly???
How does Android not work properly? And out of interest which Android phones have you owned my friend?
Remember to 'Thank Me' if I was able to help.

ruscik
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I have at the moment OneX, 8x, HD7 and HD2. In the past I had phones with windows mobile before android was an idea. Phones like xda, xda 2s, o2 orbit, mda, mda compact, o2 orbit 2, htc diamond, diamond 2.

My first Android experience was on HD2, then I got Motorola defy and htc HD now OneX. Every time I go back to MS OS. In fact I hate apple but would buy iPhone over Android after OneX fiasco. One huge gripe I have with Android that has not change since day one and will not change. They do not work properly out of the box. You have to root it and remove loads of crappy apps to make the damn thing stable-ish and somewhat responsive.

FFS look at spec of OneX and yet I had lag, few seconds of freezes on apps, os and launcher, random crashes, reboots and odd ball issues. Till rooted it was completely unreliable in my view. HD7 with it's miserable spec in comparison to oneX is running smoothly, stable and no lags.

In regards of apps, get an iPhone if you use app like tapatalk for browsing forums. FFS you got a Smart phone and you use apps. Open the browser, go to forum and enjoy full functionality. No lags, no freezes no issues. If you want to install/buy app for everything get an iPhone.
Do not see people installing tapatalk style apps on their PC's so why on phones?
HTC One in Silver.
Nexus 7 WiFi (1st Gen)
HTC 8x in yellow as I still think windows phone is a better day to day phone.
HTC HD7 as no one wanted to buy it.
Reacquired my old love HTC HD2.

R.I.P "Super Sic" we will remember you.

MadManMark
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscik View Post
I have at the moment OneX, 8x, HD7 and HD2. In the past I had phones with windows mobile before android was an idea. Phones like xda, xda 2s, o2 orbit, mda, mda compact, o2 orbit 2, htc diamond, diamond 2.

My first Android experience was on HD2, then I got Motorola defy and htc HD now OneX. Every time I go back to MS OS. In fact I hate apple but would buy iPhone over Android after OneX fiasco. One huge gripe I have with Android that has not change since day one and will not change. They do not work properly out of the box. You have to root it and remove loads of crappy apps to make the damn thing stable-ish and somewhat responsive.

FFS look at spec of OneX and yet I had lag, few seconds of freezes on apps, os and launcher, random crashes, reboots and odd ball issues. Till rooted it was completely unreliable in my view. HD7 with it's miserable spec in comparison to oneX is running smoothly, stable and no lags.

In regards of apps, get an iPhone if you use app like tapatalk for browsing forums. FFS you got a Smart phone and you use apps. Open the browser, go to forum and enjoy full functionality. No lags, no freezes no issues. If you want to install/buy app for everything get an iPhone.
Do not see people installing tapatalk style apps on their PC's so why on phones?
Your post was humorous, if you want to talk about the Android experience, you should first understand it. HTC's use HTC Sense interface, which is much heavier than the Stock android interface. Of all the OEM UI's its one of the laggiest. Its unfair to talk on all android devices, based on your experience with a HTC. Blame HTC for putting on all those 'crappy apps'.

geddeeee
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMark View Post
How does Android not work properly? And out of interest which Android phones have you owned my friend?
Erm... All of 'em!!!

I develop for Android, not by choice... it's my job!!! Also iOS, WP etc...

It's laggy and bloated. You can throw all the hardware you like at Android, but there are still lags. It's down to the kernel and security systems on Android. It's great for keeping viruses to a minimum, but it saps CPU and OS speed.

It's just my personal opinion anyway. If Android works for you then, great....

MadManMark
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Lag on android is actually due to true multi-tasking and it being modular (everything is an app), it actually keeps apps running in the background, whereas iOS closes apps when you switch. The Jelly Bean update gave the OS alot more fluidity, reduced lag and bugs. It would be like judging windows vista, when windows 7 is available.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadManMark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

g2tegg
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Default Re: ?Android OS with a tile based home screen, WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitephenix View Post
If you look at the LG Optimus G everything is great but it lacks the NVIDIA Tegra chip-set but at least it still looks like a phone lol.
Lol what!?? The S4 Pro smokes the Tegra 3's ass all over the place. I can't stand LG's phones, and the Optimus G has serious software issues but definitely not hardware (camera is terrible too).
I've been around these forums for years and I somehow stumbled across this thread. Little did I know WP fanboys where as idiodic as Apple fanboys. You two groups are clearly two peas in a pot.
Android isn't perfect. We all know that. Neither is WP. This thread made that very obvious. Whether users are riddled with hardware issues or not, I'm glad I never bought the 920 when I was considering it. Before Android I was a long time iOS user. Apple was so ahead of Android it wasn't even funny. Basic web browsing was a clear winner for iOS every time.
But after Steve died, it seems as if all there innovations died as well. Android has pulled ahead in all categories.
I'm not going to bash WP. Any new smartphone, to me, is a welcome addition. Unfortunately I need to have an ecosystem. Its not all about the fastest specs or the clearest screen. To me its about the complete ecosystem that no other company is able to provide other then Google. Nothing can come close. Google Maps, Currents, Drive, Talk, Gmail, Chrome (bookmarks), Now, etc etc.
And to all the Android haters out there. I've never experienced lag on my phone. Its packing nothing but the best hardware, plus battery life that puts most phones to shame. Samsung clearly put a lot of thought into their devices, and some very innovative features.
Android still has room for much more improvements. I'll be the first to admit it. But the other OS's in the market have much more to worry about. They need a reason to convince users to switch. Fancy live tiles or Xbox integration is not going to convince anyone. Granted it looks good, with great browser performance, I don't see any advantages.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - DD, Acer C710 W/16GB Ram/64GB SSD/Dual Boot Ubuntu/ChromeOS
Moto X # 2 - Sold, HTC One - Sold, Nexus 5 - Sold, Moto X - Sold, Galaxy Note 2 Titanium - Sold, Optimus G - Traded for a case of beer, Nexus 4 - Sold, Galaxy Note 2 White - Sold, Galaxy S3 - Sold, Galaxy Note N7000 - Sold, Galaxy Note I717 - Sold, Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE - Sold, Samsung, Galaxy S2 - Work, Motorola Razr - Sold, Motorola Atrix - IN PIECES

mcosmin222
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Here we go again.

Android can be used, but only if you use the highest end phones. For most of its market-share, these phones that actually work will not be accessible. Windows Phone works like a charm on devices android won't even boot properly (lumia 610 for example)

ruscik
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMark View Post
Your post was humorous, if you want to talk about the Android experience, you should first understand it. HTC's use HTC Sense interface, which is much heavier than the Stock android interface. Of all the OEM UI's its one of the laggiest. Its unfair to talk on all android devices, based on your experience with a HTC. Blame HTC for putting on all those 'crappy apps'.
Ok then have to agree with that. However if anything you need to be happy HTC is doing that. At the end Google is releasing unfinished OS with missing real UI under excuse you can customize it.

Why they can not release their own UI that is fluid and does not take up resources, my opinion is because it is impossible. Any serious UI for Android will be big and resource hungry there is just so much missing in stock Android.

BTW I also tried Nova launcher and Samsung UI still as much lag as any other just different feel.
HTC One in Silver.
Nexus 7 WiFi (1st Gen)
HTC 8x in yellow as I still think windows phone is a better day to day phone.
HTC HD7 as no one wanted to buy it.
Reacquired my old love HTC HD2.

R.I.P "Super Sic" we will remember you.

MadManMark
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Default Re: ?Android OS with a tile based home screen, WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscik View Post
Ok then have to agree with that. However if anything you need to be happy HTC is doing that. At the end Google is releasing unfinished OS with missing real UI under excuse you can customize it.

Why they can not release their own UI that is fluid and does not take up resources, my opinion is because it is impossible. Any serious UI for Android will be big and resource hungry there is just so much missing in stock Android.

BTW I also tried Nova launcher and Samsung UI still as much lag as any other just different feel.
You dont know what youre talking about, do you know how smooth Nova launcher is? Also touchwiz UI and Sony UI are "fluid" I dont get windows boy's hard on over live tiles :s, they're squares, that update themselves with notifications?

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcosmin222 View Post
Here we go again.

Android can be used, but only if you use the highest end phones. For most of its market-share, these phones that actually work will not be accessible. Windows Phone works like a charm on devices android won't even boot properly (lumia 610 for example)
I'm on a mid range phone having a great experience. I also know there are people on the low end Samsung Galaxy Ace having a good user experience. Some phones released on Android at the low end suck very bad but they are much cheaper than entry-level windows phones.

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe